What were your favorite assembly foods?

by NoRegrets 63 Replies latest jw experiences

• DNCall
    DNCall

If you thought that Shasta had to be the cheapest soft drink the Society could obtain, it discovered an even lower-priced, lower grade soft drink called Vess. I believe it was the Society's preferred brand toward the end of food arrangement. This stuff was so carbonated that you would be bloated for days afterward. Truly toxic. The unsold Vess found its way back to the Bethel rooms of the lower level workers, who would store them under their beds. It's probably still under them today.

• Glander
    Glander

back in the old days we got into a que with the army surplus ss trays Salisbury steak, mashed potato, gravy and greenbeans.

we took our food to rows of stand ing tables covered with butcher paper. each table had saltpepper and a loaf of white bread.

• blondie
    blondie

Check online for Sara Lee danishes and Swiss Miss puddings.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Jack Daniels after the session.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Roscoe's Chicken and waffles located down the street from the Long Beach convention ctr

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Londo and Wha Happened nailed it.

At Dodger stadium it was cheese danish and pudding.

At LBC it was Roscoes on Broadway, or even Modicas for a pastrami across the street. Mmmmmmm.

• wizardca
    wizardca

Too young to remember the hot food. Do remember the food at the Cow Palace and at the Fremont Assembly Hall. I loved those yellow rectangle coupons for food. Never got to prep food in Fremont just sweep and mop the floors. I did once at the Cow Palace get to help out in food prep by breaking down cardboard boxes. It was boring but was something to do when I got there at 7am. ugh.

I loved the burritos and chicken sandwiches, first things to go. The hoggies and roast beef sandwiches, the puddings were one of the best choice. Ah, memories of the still frozen tin foil covered OJ containers. I seem to recall Fremont had the self serve ice cream with the choice of strawberry or chocolate toppings. Forgot about that!

I was so bummed when they did away with the food service. Brown bag lunches and heaven-forbid if you wanted to go into Fremont for forage for food or the McD's down the street in SF because you will lose time associating with your brothers and sisters! LOL My last DC I went to...bailed for a good lunch in the City and never came back.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Problem, I pm'd you

• subytrek
    subytrek

Yeah, I remember the roast beef sandwiches, Shastas, and puddings. They were pretty much the highlight of the convention when I was young; that and checking out the hot sisters.

• SophieG
    SophieG

I remember most of the foods you guys mentioned.

But I'm having such a nostalgic moment reading all this...close to teary-eyed over here. I realized being an ignorant little kid in the Org was bliss. Those days were actually fun.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit