"They (WT) took me out of context", Gail Bethea-Jackson video

by Fatfreek 155 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies
    Consider the words 'taken out context'. That means what was shown on the video was a smaller part of the original whole. You state that the WTS haven't added to or changed her words. Maybe so, but by removing most of her interview and editing the rest, what she appears to say gives a misleading effect to the advantage of the WTS. Her words, not ours.

Hi Besty,

Every interview you have ever seen is heavily edited. . Again, I disagree that the interview was to gain "advantage" to the WTS. For this to be used as an excuse as some have claimed makes little sense and is tantamount to the WT admitting they had an illegal policy, which is not their position. Their position is they did not have a fundemantally flawed policy but mistakes happened. It is pure fantasy to assume it is a "let's cover our butts" interview. So the "excuse" and it's related charges makes no sense. It seems like an honest attempt at educating.

The WTS have lied by omission.

How so? Gail's "out of context" claim is bogus to begin with, as the Media site did not give context. Add to that, I suspect her memory is not good here. She used the word "paedophile" which I believe is generally not used of minors. Even without, it is a silly claim.

GBJ says she gave a 1 hour interview, approximately 90 seconds of which appears on the website. Can you explain why you don't see that as out of context in itself?

That in itself is not wrong or proof of lies by omission. Sounds like she is weasling under harrassment from Ex-Jws. I guess I can't blame her. I suspect it is a lot of "context" given to her by your friends as to why the Media site quoted her. A lot of wrong context. I do not put Fat Freek in that category, he seemed nice, but people on other sites have admitted they have attempted to contact her to give her a piece of their mind.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I understand where you are coming from PixiesI'm actually having a hard time understanding what exactly the Watchtower ever hoped to accomplish by putting such things up on their website. Only a small portion of their followers actually even visit the site, let alone the few others who come in from outside sources.

I will add though that I think the downloadable transcript is where the Watchtower really went wrong on this. Rather than provide a copy of the entire interview they instead just give a play by play as seen in the video (yes I know that it's a true transcript but that's not what i'm going after!). The fact of the matter being that while providing people with the text of the entire video would have been in line with what Gail is saying in the video itself (mainly that information was not well distributed in the past) the Watchtower instead chose to only provide a very small sampling of what she said. Quite ironic IMO.

• monophonic
    monophonic

thanks for this.

i saved the files from the website since she might raise a red flag and they'll take it down and pretend it wasn't even there.....kind of like the rest of their historical oopsies.

does anyone know how to save the real video file?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

A couple of posters have saved it as a WMV file and posted it here... not sure of the links though.

It is easy enough to do now - you can use WMV recorder...or you can download the new free realplayer - it has a record function.

If I find the link to the WMV, I'll let you know.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    does anyone know how to save the real video file?

I don't really know if it is possible to save the file. I used a program called Snapz Pro X, it's only for Apple OS X. I was able to make a high quality quicktime movie of the video playing in the web browser. Only problem is that it is 89mb! I'll toss it up on a file hosting site if it is ever taken down by the WT.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Just wanted to Btt this back to the top.

Excellent information and I appreciate all your hard work in putting up those scans.

The Watchtower has to lie to cover their ass.

Why cut up and paste a video done 10 years ago unless she wasn't saying what they wanted her to say?

Because they're LIARS!

I just shake my head at the JW's who still have their heads stuck in the sand about the Society.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Well done FG!! Yet again, they mislead their masses and get caught with their pants down.

• besty
    besty

Hi DtP

Every interview you have ever seen is heavily edited.

Incorrect. Think about live interviews for example. I work in the broadcast industry (BSkyB) and have seen plenty of fair, balanced edits take place - one aim of quality journalism is presenting the facts thereby allowing the viewer to decide. It is always difficult to decide what to leave in and what ends up on the floor. The only way we could truly know in this case is to see a full transcript.

Clearly GBJ's opinion is 'somewhat' relevant and is more valuable as evidential input than our/your opinion as to her and WTS motives.

Again, I disagree that the interview was to gain "advantage" to the WTS.

GBJ's opinion. See above. It is her statement. In the wider context of the WTS's long and indistuinguished record of misquoting secular authors, changing doctrine, rewriting their own history, having different versions of publications on WT CD compared to original print and blaming the followers for misplaced expectations it is reasonable in my opinion to conclude their use of a heavily edited piece which has an external subject matter expert seeming to imply that child abuse is a recent phenomenon is typical of their modus operandi.

It seems like an honest attempt at educating.

Allow me to avoid that school. Education has a root meaning of 'leading'. Where is the viewer being lead? To conclude that child abuse is recent, that experts didn't know about it 18-20 years ago and that the WTS is in the forefront of 'progressive understanding'. The viewer - probably a JW - can then be satisfied that the WTS is at least no worse than 'society in general' and most likely taking a leading position in the field.

How so? Gail's "out of context" claim is bogus to begin with, as the Media site did not give context.

The point is that 1 minute of non-concurrent clips compiled from 60 minutes of original interview is out of context by any reasonable definition of context. If you like I can respond with numerous reputable media websites showing full transcripts of interviews they have partially used in reporting stories. The fact that the WTS 'did not give context' is grounds for concern surely?

Add to that, I suspect her memory is not good here
    Sounds like she is weasling under harrassment from Ex-Jws.
    I suspect it is a lot of "context" given to her by your friends

Can you see how subjective your statement are? You are giving an opinion on behalf of how someone else may feel - not valid argumentation.

Just for the record please see below an email I sent on the 29th November 2007 to the point of contact given on a website GBJ is listed with:

Hi Ellen

I note Gail is listed on your website http://mscsw.org/ - I'm interested in contacting her for more details about her views on paedophilia, which are being used by Jehovahs Witnesses in some sort of official apologetic manner to excuse their current troubles in this regard. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21917798/ dated 21st November 2007

http://www.jw-media.org/vnr/2122827332/717263.htm

For your convenience I have pasted a transcript as captured from the same website

Dr. Bethea-Jackson:

I don't think, 18 or 20 years ago, we knew much of anything about pedophiles. It wasn't really looked at as a criminal matter. We didn't publicize it as being an act that needed some criminal intervention, so to speak. We didn't look at it … or it wasn't … people didn't have the body of knowledge 18 or 20 years ago to say that this is something that will harm your child emotionally, if you don't address it. Parents didn't know the seriousness, 18 or 20 years ago, and the long-term effects. And as people document the work that they've done, some successes and their failures, that some of that early work did not get to the public. I mean, it was in some New England journal somewhere. But certainly it was in the process of being looked at and studied. That information was not released. We weren't taught that in school. I went to one of the most prestigious social-work schools, at that time, in the country and in all of my studying, we didn't have a course in child abuse .

Evidently this interview was created some time back and I'd like her current opinion on this matter. She is on the record here as saying that 20 years ago the sexual victimisation of children was unknown, not viewed as criminal, information wasn't widely available, and she hadn't come across it as a subject during her 'prestigious' education.

I find all that hard to believe to be honest and would welcome your help in contacting Gail to ascertain her current professional opinion.
    --
    Best Regards

Paul Morrison
    (a concerned parent and former Jehovahs Witness)

I resent your implication that Ex-JW's are harassing her and giving her a piece of their mind. Not so. We are concerned that a well meaning child care professional is being used ina way she did not intend. She agrees it would appear and is taking steps to rremedy the situation.

I suggest you write to the WTS cc your local Body of Elders and ask for their side of the story now that you have seen GBJ's, and let them know how you have defended their position to date on this website.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I sent it to my relatives...no reply from the peanut gallery.

Skeeter

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

For those that want it, the video can be downloaded:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/148693/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit