"They (WT) took me out of context", Gail Bethea-Jackson video

by Fatfreek 155 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Amazing detective work, Len! This is dynamite stuff. I knew there was something fishy about the video, and now we have it confirmed. The old out-of-context quote. Well I'll be damned.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I knew there was something fishy about the video, and now we have it confirmed. The old out-of-context quote. Well I'll be damned.

Having worked in the field of child sexual abuse (as a facilitator of the investigative process) I, too, knew that either Bethea-Jackson was a totally unprofessional flake or there was monkey business with her interview. Now it makes sense! In assessing child sexual molestation issues, it is very important to weigh the age difference between the abuser and the abused. Actually, it makes the difference between the definitions of "acting out," "sexual play," "sexual exploration between age-peers," and "exploitative sexual molestation of a child by an adult." Huge differences! If Bethea-Jackson was indeed describing adolescent behavior - all bets are off. A 17 year old fondling a 14 year old, depending on the state where it occurred, might be considered either acceptable or criminal. What B-J describes may well be accurate and consistent with clinical knowledge at the time - can't really know without the parts that were cut.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Restrangled said, about the WTS posted video:

If you apply common sense to what I wrote and watch the video yourself....just simply pay attention to the video cuts.....every time there is a cut....the "context" has been altered. Now once you are in that flow, go back and pay attention to the audio and you will find that the inflection in her voice changes. This is not the free flowing thought that the WTS paragraph represents. It is a hack job of amateurish proportions.

Mark my words,

Next month, when the video is taken down, and we send the You Tube link to a JW, they will tell us, that the JW's never had a video such as this on their website. That some apostate made this video. And the apostate," did a hack job of amateurish proportions". Also, that it is a ridiculous statement, and Jehovah's organization, would not say that.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am not sure if everyone understands what is meant in this case by 'out of context'. Her video was edited. Even the transcript shows elipses-where the WT is leaving out(editing) her words.

I think SHE knows what she was speaking of and how it did or did not relate to the discussion at hand. Both the video and transcripts are not one unedited statement. Go have a look. She has no reason to object if her statement was used properly. It wasn't.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

call it a patsy. the avg JW will look no further and accept the tainted statement. to the other several billion. it really is Shiet

• steve2
    steve2
    Both the video and transcripts are not one unedited statement. Go have a look. She has no reason to object if her statement was used properly. It wasn't.

Yes, the weight of reasoning seems to support this conclusion. What would provide incontrovertible evidence, however, would be the video and transcript in their entirety. If Gail Bethea-Jackson does not have access to the entire video and transcript because the Watchtower is "somehow" unable or unwilling to release it for anyone else's scrutiny, it would be very difficult for Gail Bethea-Jackson to prove she was misquoted. The most that could be proved would be the obvious editing - but that would not prove in itself that the bits left out changed the context of what was included in the finished product.

I hate to sound like a stuck record, but without that video and transcript in their entirety both those who defend the Watchtower and those who defend the out-of-context view have little more to go on than speculation.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

except the word of the one quoted disputes the context

• steve2
    steve2
    except the word of the one quoted disputes the context

Yes, that in itself does not look good for the Watchtower. But let's not forget the Watchtower has a well-established habit of misquoting experts who complain about it but seldom take action. If she took action, Gail Bethea-Jackson would need to prove that she was taken out of context...and the proof is....where? In a 60 minute video that is unlikely to see the light of day. Taking a controversial view, mental health clinicians have a huge responsibility to speak very clearly and specifically when they are being videod and/or audio-taped. Given that Gail Bethea-Jackson said she did the interview for a friend who was a witness (no name provided), you begin to wonder what is going on. Why would a registered mental health clinician do an interview as a favour for a witness friend? Huh? Did she ever wonder what it was about? Did she ever wonder why she was asked questions about (so she claims) adolescent child sex abusers? The part that worries me is she sounds in places like she is talking more generally about pedophiles who, diagnostically must be age 16 and over. I'm so hoping it will eventually be proven that she was taken out of context. However, given the high likelihood that the entire video and transcript will never be released. I ain't holding my breath!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Wow! Shows in no uncertain terms that the Watchtower has no regard for truth.

Coffee

• restrangled
    restrangled

"in fact Gail Bethea-Jackson's words have been taken out of context"

steve2 A mental health professional coroberating the fact that the WTS took his fellow professional's comments out of context.

Steve, thank you for presenting this absolutely positively indisputable comment about your opinion of this matter. These are your words after all. These words prove that you feel GBJ's words have been taken out of context. Case closed and nothing more to say.....right?

R's Hubby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit