Whats the worst dish you ever served???

by Tez 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

It's a tie. We went to horribly cheap Bed and breakfast in Swansea, Wales once. At 2 in the morning shortly after we retired to bed I could smell cooking even though we were on the thrid floor and the kitchen in the basement. It was so fatty and strong I couldn;t sleep. In the morning we got up deliberately late in order to miss breakfast. The landlord and landlady explained they always start the 8am breakfast when they go to bed on a slow oven so that they its ready in the morning. We paid and were leaving in a hurry when they chased us with sausage sandwiches which had been cooked for 6 hours. That was so gross. I still can;t bear the smell of cooking brekfast to this day.

The close contender was the Sheraton in Niagara Falls in May this year. Breakfast there is fantasticche by the way. But dinner ! EEK! I love a rare tender steak. Read the menu at dinner and ordered the nearets they has a new Yorker - rare. I nearly choked to death it was so tough. I sent it back, although I didn't want to make a fuss being timid and british. they cooked it a little more anmd it was still as tough as leather. so ended up cutting it into little pieces and hiding it under the lettuce and went to bed hungry but relieved.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

anything with liver

• Scully
    Scully

Sometimes I get into a mood to experiment. Kwintestal can vouch for that because he's had my no-recipe curried rice pilaf. Usually my experimentation turns out quite well (thanks to dumb luck mostly) but there have been a couple of times when I've had to throw things away and start over from scratch.

When I was a teenager and used to babysit, one of the kids I looked after really liked it when we made cookies together. He got to have fresh cookies, and I didn't have to chase around after him while he tried to destroy his parents' house. So it became our little ritual every week. The first time we did it, however, he was so excited about adding ingredients to the bowl while I stirred that he dumped in my remaining half-glass of Sprite instead. I realized I needed to reduce the amount of liquid from the actual recipe if the cookies were going to be at all salvagable, so I left out a portion of the beaten eggs and hoped for the best. Fortunately, he had the honours of having the first still-warm cookie after they came out of the oven. They passed muster (if they are good enough for a 5-year-old, they are good enough for me! was the operating rationale at the time) and weren't actually a total disaster. I learned a long time prior to this incident that you can mask almost any baking error using a chocolate milk chaser.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread
    anything with liver

I love Beef Stroganoff (spelling?) Anyway I called my wife one evening enquiring about supper. She is with friends and they are making "Stroganoff". When I arrive and take my first bite (which by the way was my last) it didn't have beef in it. It was Liver. I didn't know there was anything worse than liver but now I know. Liver Stroganoff.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Liver Stroganoff.

Gag a MAGGOT!

u/d(of the liver is the spawn of Satan class)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

One of my biggest "oops!" is overbaking cookies.... catching the timer, checking on the cookies, and deciding they need 30-seconds more, then forgetting them until they are bricks. I feel lucky when I catch them before they become carbon and are still sort-of edible....

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Once I made a beautiful batch of gingerbread at my job (cooking at a college dorm.) Unfortunately, what I'd thought was powdered ginger turned out to be garlic powder in an unlabeled container. Since I had no sense of smell, I didn't have any idea. We figured it out before we served it, then on a dare from a coworker, I ate a piece. It was sweet and spicy and garlicky-mmmmmm!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Sometimes I get into a mood to experiment. Kwintestal can vouch for that because he's had my no-recipe curried rice pilaf.

Mmm. Mrs Kwin tried to copy the recipie, yet it failed to compare with Scully's. Can you mail us some? j/k

Kwin

• SadElder
    SadElder

"unleavened bread"

• horrible life
    horrible life

My dad would go to his "white collar" job, at about 4:00pm. He would always have 1 of us kids to fix him a lunch. Since my mother was never prepared with groceries, we would always tell him we did not have anything. He would always just tell us to make him something!!!! No more questions were asked. We would find something. My dad is a man of very few words. Except on the stage at the KH.

Now mind you, he has 10 guys around him at a huge round desk. My dad was their boss. They all always looked to see what dad had brought. My brother had fixed it this day. It was a Cottage Cheese sandwich. Dad said it wasn't that bad, til he got to the Chocolate Chips. He was always called MR. and a good JW. A man to be respected. But that one time, he accepted that he was the one who brought the weirdest food to work. HL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit