Whats the worst dish you ever served???

by Tez 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LMAO!

These are so funny! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.....

roflmao, but I can't resist: Kate can burn the bottom of the best store-bought pizza in town...and she's half-Italian!

I know I'll catch hell for posting this--but how are husbands and wives supposed to show respect for each other, anyway?

Craig (of the "laughing-while-I-still-have-a-carotid-artery class)

Oh boy! You make one mistake......wish I could say it's only been one burnt offering Craig has had since we've been married but darn it's not. In my defense I was batching it for a few years and not really into cooking much and I guess I got out of the habit or something I used to be a really good cook. I keep telling Craig that and last night he actually said what I fixed for dinner was really good! LOL

OK one of my many blunders; first marriage I was 17 and fixed a wonderful chicken dinner, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and fried chicken. Boy the chicken looked so crisp and good nicely browned and not all soggy like my Mom's. Well one bite into the chicken and it was raw, I had only browned it on all sides so it wasn't fully cooked, seems when you fully cook it it gets a bit soggy. That was in the days before microwaves, we had to wait about 40 more minutes to eat and I had to re-warm all the rest of the dinner too.

And then there was this sweet and sour pork dinner I made from one of those envelopes where you add it to other ingredients, it looked and smelled so good, chucks of pork, pinapple and bell pepper in a smooth sauce I poured over rice, well one bite and hubby and I both spit it out and ran for the water. It was the most aweful thing I've ever tasted! We laughed about that for years and most everything was compared to that dish. He would say "well it's not as bad as sweet and sour pork", or "this is right up there with the sweet and sour pork." I knew not to fix that one again.

• bebu
    bebu

ROFL!

The funniest one was when I was very young. I had turned 7 and gotten an easy-bake oven for a gift from my parents.

That evening I got permission to make a cake. I followed the little recipe book: Just 3 T water to mix with the cake mix packet; put it in to bake; let cool... and after all the agony of waiting, the stuff couldn't be cut, even with a steak knife!!!

...I had baked the frosting.

bebu

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Worst dish you ever served? hmm lets see me and my cousins like to play tea sets, so that involves Mud, grass, mushed up flowers..... water, tree nuts, leaves...... oh and our nana would give us expired and off foods we would serve the food up to her.... of cause she had a bucket hidden under the table she never even attempted a bite

Evanescence

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

The worst dish I ever made was a tuna casserole made with macaroni, tuna, spaghetti sauce,onion and corn. No one else in the house would eat it and I made a big pot of the stuff. It was back when I was just learning and experimented with unusual combinations. So I was the one that got stuck eating it because my mom's rule was you make it and then you get to eat it. By the time I was done eating that stuff I couldn't eat fish with tomato sauce ever again.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

OK, everyone else thought this was awful, but I found it quite tasty:

I was going through a phase of combining foods based on their colors, and ignoring traditional ideas of what goes with what. A time of great creativity and dubious dishes. So, I sauteed a bunch of fresh spinach in sesame oil with some cumin seeds and slivered garlic. Then I added sliced, fresh apricots. It was so beautiful, the colors were just amazing together! Nobody else would eat it, but I tell you, it was good.

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL. I love this thread. I get more belly laughs....

Bikerchic and Insomniac, your stories reminds me of a quip from my son, he was maybe eight years old. I'd made a classic dinner, perfectly balanced, colorful vegetables, mashed potatoes, and swiss steak, I think.

My son said, "Boy does this look good! .................. I sure hope it tastes good, too."

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I was going through a phase of combining foods based on their colors, and ignoring traditional ideas of what goes with what. A time of great creativity and dubious dishes. So, I sauteed a bunch of fresh spinach in sesame oil with some cumin seeds and slivered garlic. Then I added sliced, fresh apricots. It was so beautiful, the colors were just amazing together! Nobody else would eat it, but I tell you, it was good.

That sounds really good! I must try it.

I learned how to cook, over the phone, when I was growing up. My mother worked and would call me after school to tell me what to start for dinner and gave me instructions. Once we were having a big company dinner, and she promised me I would only be getting it started and she would be home in plenty of time to finish everything. She was delayed at the store (she worked in a busy jewelry store, and the owner had stepped out and didn't come back, so she had to stay to close up).

Anyway, I had to make the entire dinner, and it turned out really well. It was baked chickens, and I even made gravy for the first time that night, mashed potatoes and a veggie of some kind. We had some turkey dressing in the freezer and I discovered it while looking for some chicken stock, I knew was in there. So I defrosted it all day, and then stuffed the chickens with it. Mom was taking all the compliments from the guests but told everyone, that I had made the whole dinner. One of my brother's friends who was there, said "Marilyn, will you marry me?" He was so gorgeous and about 8 years older than I was, so I said "yes". Hahahha. I was about 13 or 14.

So, when I got married, I was used to cooking for my family and for company, and not for two. I would make 6 pork chops for the two of us. A whole chicken or two. A big pot of spaghetti. It goes on and on. It took me a few months to downsize my cooking portions. We still laugh at the big dinners I made for just the two of us. I was only 17, but had good training to cook.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Marilyn I had to laugh at this:

So, when I got married, I was used to cooking for my family and for company, and not for two. I would make 6 pork chops for the two of us. A whole chicken or two. A big pot of spaghetti. It goes on and on. It took me a few months to downsize my cooking portions. We still laugh at the big dinners I made for just the two of us. I was only 17, but had good training to cook.

I learned to cook almost the same way you did only by notes my Mom would leave me and after school I would get dinner started, she would get home and finish it. Boy the days before microwave ovens sure sucked!

We were a family of seven so I also learned to cook in volume. Fast forward to cooking for my family of seven and it was hard to down size meals once I was single and on my own. Plus as you know it's cheaper to cook/buy for more and just freeze leftovers. Craig still can't get over how much I fix for a dinner. He'll say he just wants chicken and he means JUST CHICKEN! No taters, no veggies and no salad or rolls! LOL

LOL @ jgnat, hey every good cook will tell you it's all in the presentation!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

When I was about 8 years old, I was visiting my grandmother who turned me loose in the kitchen to create to my hearts' desire.... I chose to make a cake. I had seen my mother do this tons of times, and thought I'd give it a try. All went fairly well... I used a mix, so I couldn't mess that up too badly... Then came the frosting.... again, I had seen my mother make frosting lots of times. She didn't use a recipe. So, i used flour instead of confectioners sugar... I thought it was what she used....and argued with my grandmother who tried to correct me (but let me do it my way anyway) My mother came to pick me up later that day, and I proudly presented my cake in all its' awful glory. I cut her a big piece...and she ate it....bless her...but suggested that I use confectioners sugar the next time. I finally tasted my masterpiece at that point, and !!!

Coffee

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, my carotid is still intact...but that Taser really hurt!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit