Whats the worst dish you ever served???

by Tez 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Mozz and I used to housesit for a couple we know. They had this fabulous kitchen that we loved to cook in anytime we were there. So last time we go to the market, get some mahi-mahi filets, baby shrimp, scallops, cream, and vegetables. The intent was to make a seafood cream sauce with the shrimp and scallops and pour over the fish filets and veggies with pasta. Yum, right? Well, they had a tall bottle full of clear yellow liquid next to their stove. We have the same bottle at home, so assuming it was olive oil, like ours, I pour it into the sauce pan to heat and I was going to cook the seafood cream sauce. After warming the olive oil, the kitchen began to smell really lovely. Like flowers. I thought maybe I had missed the Glad Plug In earlier. So I pour the cream into the olive oil and immediately it curdled. I was completely confused. Thinking the cream was bad, I start over. Pour olive oil into saucepan, let it heat. Again I notice the flowery smell. I pour in new container of cream. Again it curdles. Then I notice the tall bottle of "olive oil" was actually very close to the sink. I pick it up and sniff. It was dish soap. Dish soap in a pretty homemade looking bottle, not the bottle it came in. I had been attempting to cook cream sauce with Palmolive dish soap. Needless to say, I lost heart in that cooking experiment and Mozz had to take the reigns. After we found the Real Olive Oil, dinner was a smashing success. Sauteed mahi filets with pasta and vegetables and a seafood cream sauce. Fresh garlic bread and a tossed salad. Yum! But it's still one of my favorite mistakes. LOL!

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

lol @ bg...I have friends who put their dish soap in one of those cute glass containers too. My friends and I have a themed potluck about once a month. We pick a country/region and everyone brings something from that area. The worst dish I've ever served was from Africa. It was Avocado soup...served cold. I think that about sums it up.

• Tez
    Tez

Great reading through your experiences!! don't feel such a wombat now!!! Sphere and BG - how to make sure no one comes to dinner again! though must say bg when you finally got it right sounds delicious. Just a few other experiences I've had over the years, one I repeated several times, burnt hard boiled eggs!!! the smell is gross!! also first time I made mince pies for a Xmas party years ago.. on the way to the event my b/frnd tried one, after first bite threw it down the road...it BOUNCED!!!!! sometime later made sausage rolls.. my mother in law broke her false teeth on them!!! aww well its all a learning curve!!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i'm a pretty good cook, but for some freaking reason whenever i've made ANYTHING for company it turns out wrong. pies that i make all the time perfectly for family, when i make for company they end up runny or burnt... once i baked potatos for company and cooked them FOREVER and they refused to cook...

i'm jinxed.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Sphere and BG - how to make sure no one comes to dinner again! though must say bg when you finally got it right sounds delicious.

It was delicious! Actually, I'm a really good cook as is my husband. We love entertaining friends with new dishes we've either found a recipe for or created on our own. We're not really the type to follow a recipe to the letter. We throw a little of this in, a little of that...this sounds good with it, so let's add a dollop of this. It usually ends up being very nice. I was just thrown a bit in that house as it wasn't our kitchen.

I'm one of the few hostesses that's not too scared to "guinea pig" with my guests. If all else fails, we have a good laugh while we order take out Chinese. If they're good friends, they enjoy the "entertainment" I provide. LOL!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    My friends and I have a themed potluck about once a month. We pick a country/region and everyone brings something from that area. The worst dish I've ever served was from Africa. It was Avocado soup...served cold. I think that about sums it up.

Kaethra, I have a few friends that do this with us as well. Except it's a wine dinner and we rotate the homes it's hosted in. Everyone brings a bottle of wine (MUST be under $25!) and a dish or two that compliments it. Sometimes we focus on reds, whites, Cabernets, Shiraz, Sauvignon Blancs, growing regions, etc. You must come to the dinner with some education of whatever bottle you bring. We get to taste several different types of wine and enjoy each others cooking. It's very relaxed, casual. But the point is to educate each other and have fun doing it! Which reminds me, now that school is in session again, it's time to bring back the wine dinners!

• Mulan
    Mulan

These are hilarious!

The one that comes to mind for me, was about 35 years ago, I was spending the weekend with my cousin and her three boys and my three kids. The men were out of town working together. For breakfast, I was pouring Wheat Chex for the older kids, and looked around for the sugar. Since we were both fans of Tupperware, I spotted the one I kept my sugar in, and opened it, and sure enough "sugar", or so I thought. Her son, Sean took one bite of cereal and like the diplomat, he still is, he told me it tasted funny. So I tasted it and it was salt not sugar.

I went to find my cousin and ask her why on earth she bought so much salt and kept it in a cannister on the drainingboard. She just laughed. "Cheaper if you buy in bulk" was her answer. The sugar was in the next larger Tupperware, like the one I kept my flour in. I just never expected to have salt there.

Anyway, breakfast was saved before anyone else got salt on their Wheat Chex.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

BG - I LOVE the wine dinner idea!! I'm going to bring that up with my group. We've kinda been running out of countries to plan a menu around!

• onacruse
    onacruse

roflmao, but I can't resist: Kate can burn the bottom of the best store-bought pizza in town...and she's half-Italian!

I know I'll catch hell for posting this--but how are husbands and wives supposed to show respect for each other, anyway?

Craig (of the "laughing-while-I-still-have-a-carotid-artery class)

• fairchild
    fairchild

I cook for a living at a very busy restaurant. Although I'm usually pretty much in control of the situation when I have 60 or more different dinners going, sometimes things get a bit out of hand.

Today's mistake.. forgot to add pasta to a pasta primavera. The customer sent it back of course.

A few weeks ago, someone ordered stuffed sole. It was a very busy night, we were way behind, and we ran out of thawed out stuffed sole, so the cart people brought me an order of sole from the freezer, frozen solid. It had only been in the oven for about 3 minutes when the waitress came over, demanding her stuffed sole in a not so nice way. I tried to ignore her, but she kept going on and on and on about how incompetent we were and how she didn't have all night to stand there and wait for her food. I got really ticked off, but I asked politely.. oh, would you like that sole right now? I took it out of the oven (still frozen) put it on a plate and served it. She took off with it, unaware that it was completely frozen. My co-workers just about died laughing. I kept looking at the dining room door, expecting her to come back with it any second, but she never came back. Strange..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit