Folklore, superstitions.... or NOT???

by hibiscusfire 89 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Legolas
    Legolas

LOL..Thanks Coolhand!

• defd
    defd

hihbi from my understanding we do not believe in superstitions. That is why we do not say God bless you when someone sneezes.

• JH
    JH

I say gazuntai

• kid-A
    kid-A

I knew TONS of JWs, including elders, who consistenly said "gesundheit" after somebody sneezed.....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Superstition by Stevie Wonder
    Very superstitious, writing’s on the wall,
    Very superstitious, ladders bout’ to fall,
    Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin’ glass
    Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past.

When you believe in things that you don’t understand,
    Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain’t the way

Very superstitious, wash your face and hands,
    Rid me of the problem, do all that you can,
    Keep me in a daydream, keep me goin’ strong,
    You don’t wanna save me, sad is my song.

Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain’t the way, yeh, yeh.

Very superstitious, nothin’ more to say,
    Very superstitious, the devil’s on his way,
    Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin’ glass,
    Seven years of bad luck, good things in your past

Then you suffer,
    Superstition ain’t the way, no, no, no

• Carmel
    Carmel

"Alas! that humanity is completely submerged in imitations and unrealities notwithstanding the truth of divine religion has ever remained the same. Superstitions have obscured the fundamental reality, the world is darkened and the light of religion is not apparent. This darkness is conducive to differences and dissensions; rites and dogmas are many and various; therefore discord has arisen among the religious systems whereas religion is for the unification of mankind. True religion is the source of love and agreement amongst men, the cause of the development of praiseworthy qualities; but the people are holding to the counterfeit and imitation, negligent of the reality which unifies; so they are bereft and deprived of the radiance of religion. They follow superstitions inherited from their fathers and ancestors".

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 237)

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Carmel "Alas! that humanity is completely submerged in imitations and unrealities notwithstanding the truth of divine religion has ever remained the same. Superstitions have obscured the fundamental reality,........

The bible talks about superstitions therefore the bible is true. The bible has everything necessary for us to be equipped for life.

Hibie

• daystar
    daystar

Hib

The bible talks about superstitions therefore the bible is true.

If you say so. No one could possibly argue that logic.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

The bible talks about many things.

Hibie

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Colossians 2:8
    Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Legendary Traditions include superstitions e.g. The soucouyant (pronounced su coo ya)

The Soucouyant– “A ball of flame/fire, along she came flying without a wind” was how the Soucouyant of Saut D’Eau Island was described.

The old woman lives alone at the end of the village road, seldom seen, her house always closed up as she sleeps away the day. As evening draws near, she stirs and sheds her old and wrinkled skin, which she deposits in a mortar. Now, as a glowing ball of flame, she rises up through the roof, and with a shrill cry she flies through the night in search of a victim, and she would suck his ‘life-blood’ from him clean.

As the blessed day dawns, she makes a beeline through the forest for her home, finds the mortar with her wretched skin and proceeds to put it on, - but something is wrong, it burns like fire, it seems to shrink and slide away, “Skin, kin, kin, you na no me, you na no me”, she croons softly, pleading to the wrinkled thing.

Then, with horror, she realises the dreadful thing that has been done: the village boys and men have filled her skin with coarse salt and pepper and will soon come and get her, with a drum of boiling tar, the priest and his silver cross, the church bells – and then, the end.

If you wish to discover who is the Soucouyant in your village, empty 100 lbs of rice at the village crossroads where she will be compelled to pick them up, one grain at a time – that is how you’ll know the Soucouyant.

Hibie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit