Why do people hate Americans?

by dorayakii 121 Replies latest social current

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Without getting involved in the 'hating americans' part of the debate, I definately agree with Ballistic.

I studied Human Rights at University, and one of the big issues (and this happens on a personal level with dubs too) is what do you do if you think someone or some other country is living in the 'wrong' way? Does it give you the right to go in and change the way they are living? Do we all have the absolute right to make our own mistakes? And what if those mistakes are really big?

So when we (and im not pinpointing America inparticular, cos lots of countries have done it) see a BAD regime do we have the right, or even the responsibility to go in and alter that regime. Think about it on a personal level. What if some fundy religious person ABSOLUTELY KNEW their beliefs were right. Would that give them the right to force us to worship like them because it would save our eternal life and we would thank them for it in the end?

I dont know any answers to this, its all just food for thought.

But I do agree Americans and Europeans talk about freedom, but we only have freedom within the system we are used to - freedom to wear identical clothes (jeans hoodies and baseball caps) freedom to get on the treadmill of work and mortgages, freedom to celebrate christmas and birthdays and the like. Now that im not a Dub I find it almost impossible NOT to celebrate Xmas because of the social pressure. One non uniform day I went into school in a sari and the kids were incredulous - utterly stunned that I was not wearing 'normal' western clothes. They were really embarrased for me. They would never have the courage to wear anything other than western high street shop clothes. I dont call that freedom at all, I call it subtle brainwashing of a different sort.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Yeah, but they can pull you off the street in the US, tell no one, ship you out the country and have you tortured to death.

I knew someone who was pulled off the street, his family wasn't told, and was drugged and tortured for an entire month by the RCMP. Right here in Canada in the early 1970's. All because of ideology. At least he survived and was eventually released.

It can happen anywhere.

W

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Simon:

What is it with Americans and parades?! They always seem so lame. We just don't get it.

Why do you say this you don't "get" our parades? Do all Britians really think we are "lame" for our parades or is it just you? I really do want to know why you say the parades are lame?

This is not asked in sarcassism , just wanting to know what 'ya mean.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    Why do people hate Americans?

Because it saves time??

best argument i've read so far.

• Simon
    Simon
    Why do you say this you don't "get" our parades? Do all Britians really think we are "lame" for our parades or is it just you? I really do want to know why you say the parades are lame?

This is not asked in sarcassism , just wanting to know what 'ya mean.

We don't have them. They seem very popular in America but whenever I've seem them it just looks really lame (to me). I genuinely don't get why they are popular at all.

It's probably one of those deep-down, fundamental "cultural difference" things.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Ok Simon you did answer the question, so in regards to the parades, I guess ya just have to be there to get it.

If you ever come back to the States,,,,,you should go to one of our parades,,,,,,,,they are not all Patriotic. I guess here in America we just like to celebrate life , and one way is by parades Believe me especially here in Louisiana we have a parade or festival for just about everything an anything. We even have a MudBug Festival every year , mudbugs are cajun boiled crawfish. Big , big part of our culture here.

We also have State Fairs, carnivals, circus, rodeos, School Homecoming parades, Veterans parades, Gay Pride parades, Mardi Gras parades, so yeah with everything in our culture we play it up big.

It also makes for a sense of community . Just about every time there is a festival or parade , it is to benefit a cause. You name it there is going to be a case that is highlighted and money raised for.

Yeah, somethings are kind of silly and corney maybe,,,,,but our children love the parades because it is something they can participate in and share with the adults. So that is why we don't fee the parades are lame at all, if you look deep into the real reasons for the them and the good they do.

• Simon
    Simon
    Yeah, somethings are kind of silly and corney maybe,,,,,but our children love the parades because it is something they can participate in and share with the adults. So that is why we don't fee the parades are lame at all, if you look deep into the real reasons for the them and the good they do.

That's probably it, we just see the superficial "corney" veneer and don't have the handle on the underlying things. Still, I don't ever see myself running to watch a parade !

• luna2
    luna2

LMAO @ Simon...that sounded so funny.

Maybe you have to grow up with them....kind of a cultural thing. The town I grew up in had terrific 4th of July parades. Amazing drum and bugle corps from all over the U.S. as well as the obligatory local Girl and Boy Scout troups, cars, Shriners on mini bikes, fire trucks with their sirens blaring and firemen throwing candy to the kiddies, as well as other foolishness. If you weren't in the parade yourself, you easily knew dozens of people who were.

My parents went out to California to see the Rose Parade this past Jan. 1st for their 50th anniversary. They loved it.

• Simon
    Simon

We're just not a 'parade culture' I guess. I put it down to a lack of ticker-tape and suitably tall buildings to hurl it out of. Also, the anti-litter laws can be pretty tough.

• Pole
    Pole

roybatty,

Either way an individual can be jailed for up to 4 months without having a trial. IMO the right to a fair and speedy trial is a basic freedom.

I don't think the Dutch could get away with Guantanamo even with this opressive law of theirs ;-). And I think the judge's obligatory consent does make a difference. I wonder how often the Dutch system makes use of this law. Ya know there is a state in the US where you may theoretically get jailed for not having a bath for a week, right ;-)

Pole, I'm not a lawyer and I don't know what rights are covered by the EU and which ones are covered by national law. The "116 day under Dutch law" was something I saw while watching CNN. I was always under the impression that the Dutch were the more "liberal" minded people, so I was a bit shocked when I heard about this.

And you know how national TVs tend to blow things out of proportions. I'm sure the Dutch are much more liberal than most Europeans and most Americans.

Regarding state to state laws, yes, thats sort of true. However, the basic rights of a U.S. citizen (trial by jury, right to speak to an attorney, etc.) are guaranteed by Federal law, not state laws.

There are very few common legal requirements for the EU members in the area of criminal law. One of them is the "no death penalty" requirement. Otherwise things differ a lot from country to country.
    Cheers,
    Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit