Why do people hate Americans?

by dorayakii 121 Replies latest social current

• donkey
    donkey

Parades suck...they are completely stupid IMO....serve no purpose except to block traffic.

• Pole
    Pole

:WOW! I don't know how differnt it is from country to country in the EU but it's my understanding that in Holland they can arrest you, throw you in jail and let you sit there for months on end without any charges being brought against you.
    And what do you base this understanding of yours on?
    It seems like it's a technical difference (judge's decision vs. being charged)
    http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Joran-van-der-Sloot
    Joran can be held without being charged up to 116 days if a Dutch judge determines police authorities have reasonable cause, according to Dutch law.
    Also, the Netherlands are a very small part of Europe. Like one state in the US. In most countries you have to be charged within a few days of being arrested. And in any case, I would never say the Dutch justice system in general is stricter than that of America.
    Pole

• upside/down
    upside/down

Personally I think it's jealousy and envy for many... and there's nothing that'll change that... So just WHAT would please you?

America should just sit back and be a bunch of candy ass pussies?

The glaring inequities of almost every comment made show such extreme bias as to be unworthy of response...because you have a mindset like a stauch JW...the world is the way you perceive it and NOTHING seems to be able to change it.

You can't see the forest for the trees...

America is an Empire...I just happen to live in it...lucky me...

If I was a Roman I'd feel no different.

It's just the way it is...get over it and deal with it.

Gawd I now wish Kerry had won...so that you'd be shredding his lame ass too....NOW THAT'D BE FUN...cuz he even looks Euro...

u/d(of the does anybody take the middle road class)

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    Do you think the average American citizen knows this, or do you think they are brainwashed to believe they are totally benevolent?
    WHAT A LOAD OF HORSESHIT

So do you think that America is benevolent? Do you think it's aims were always morally above those of other countries?...

I'll ask you to do something difficult... name some of the mistakes that America has made...

• roybatty
    roybatty
    It seems like it's a technical difference (judge's decision vs. being charged)
    Joran can be held without being charged up to 116 days if a Dutch judge determines police authorities have reasonable cause, according to Dutch law.

Either way an individual can be jailed for up to 4 months without having a trial. IMO the right to a fair and speedy trial is a basic freedom.

Also, the Netherlands are a very small part of Europe. Like one state in the US. In most countries you have to be charged within a few days of being arrested.

Pole, I'm not a lawyer and I don't know what rights are covered by the EU and which ones are covered by national law. The "116 day under Dutch law" was something I saw while watching CNN. I was always under the impression that the Dutch were the more "liberal" minded people, so I was a bit shocked when I heard about this.

Regarding state to state laws, yes, thats sort of true. However, the basic rights of a U.S. citizen (trial by jury, right to speak to an attorney, etc.) are guaranteed by Federal law, not state laws.

• Simon
    Simon
    America is an Empire...I just happen to live in it...lucky me...

You know what happens to empires don't you ...

• upside/down
    upside/down
    You know what happens to empires don't you ...

It's inevitable...

I just wonder who's next...

u/d

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    I TOTALLY disagree with this. I'm not going to get into another "defend America" thread but I do have to comment. While watching the Nata Holloway missing person / murder case in Aruba I was shocked to learn that, based upon Dutch law, a person can be incarcerated for 116 days even without any charges being brought against them. WOW! I don't know how differnt it is from country to country in the EU but it's my understanding that in Holland they can arrest you, throw you in jail and let you sit there for months on end without any charges being brought against you. So this Joran van der Sloot sat in jail for months and months and was never charged with a crime. Talk about a lack of basic freedom.

First of all, aruba, may be official dutch terretory, it is not Holland. Rules and laws are different. It is more or less on it's own.
    Second, it is not the case that there were no changes against him. When somebody is a suspect a judge has to decide if there is reason for him to be in prison, waiting on the results of the investigation. If this is granted, it is based upon the risk to society etc.
    In this case the evidence against him was quiet or reasonably strong.

I think blaming EU countries for putting people in prison without charges from an american is rediculous. The american government really does it in Guantanamo bay for how long now....

I do not hate americans. Nor do I hate america. A lot of countries in america are quite livable.
    There are just some differences of views on politics.
    Most of the people have a hate/love relation with america. In one way they love everything that comes from the USA, like McDonalds, starbucks etc. I think it is quite stupid when people complane they are going out of bussiness by this. It is their own countrymen who like to buy these products, and why not.
    On the other hand, it is quite easy to not like the most powerfull nation, the nation that controls most of the world politics. (of course to it's own advantage).

One of the posters but it very clear, to say that for the well-off the USA is a nice place to live, for the poor, it is not always that nice. I have to agree with that. In the EU, we do care better for the poor, the homeless, the jobless etc. But of course there is a price we have to pay. The price is less economic growth, more taxes etc.

Danny

• ballistic
    ballistic

I don't want to get involved in any of these America threads at the moment but I just wanted to say that I think Roy has a poor argument to try and say one country's freedom is better than another's freedom by pointing out apparent flaws. My worst fear, and I could be wrong, is that some people in America shout "freedom" so much they begin to forget what it really means.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Why do people hate Americans?

Because it saves time??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit