Why do people hate Americans?

by dorayakii 121 Replies latest social current

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Maybe the correct word is not "hate", but "distain" or "dislike"...
    Many people were against the war in Iraq and dilike President Bush, has this had a baring on how people view Americans? When America flexes its military muscles how do you feel? Do Americans believe they are morally superior to everyone else? Do they realise that most of their wars are not to bring about peace, but to aquire oil? Do you think the average American citizen knows this, or do you think they are brainwashed to believe they are totally benevolent?
    Their patriotism is excessive to the point of anyone criticising the government being labelled as un-patriotic. They treat their flag like a god and die-hard patriots will support the countries policies no matter what.
    What about the pervasive American culture that is wiping out local culture. In England, traditional cafes are being put out of business by Starbucks opening on every street corner in London... In Paris, the café culture still exists and is strong, but for how long? I know of 3 Starbucks which have openned there in the last year, to the protest of local citizens...
    What do you think when people say "I hate Americans, they think they're so big and tough!!". Do you agree with them?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Because they have a higher FIFA ranking than the English.

steve

• under74
    under74

Probably because we have an inhumane government that only thinks of money. When my government sits and watches babies and even healthy adults die....people have every right to hate.

under74 (of the sick of my governement sitting and watching my own people die class)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    In England, traditional cafes are being put out of business by Starbucks opening on every street corner in London... In Paris, the café culture still exists and is strong, but for how long? I know of 3 Starbucks which have openned there in the last year, to the protest of local citizens...

The solution to this "problem" is very simple: If you don't like Starbucks, then don't give them your business. A company like that can only survive if people walk in and give them their money.

If a business prospers, it is because the community gave them their money.

Here in America we sometimes see a city protest the construction of a Walmart… they say it will kill the other local businesses. Sure, but that can only happen if the city shops at Walmart instead of the other local businesses, and guess what happens the instant the Walmart doors opem? Everyone floods in to give Walmart their business and money. Very ironic. If they really did not want Walmart to kill the local businesses, then why did they go shopping at Walmart?

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    The solution to this "problem" is very simple: If you don't like Starbucks, then don't give them your business. A company like that can only survive if people walk in and give them their money.

I agree to a certain extent, but companies are ruthless in their business practices. Microsoft for example has set itself up as a monopoly and uses ruthless tactics to enure its superiority, while not necessarily offering a better product.

In the Starbucks case, people seem to be looking for cheapness rather than quality. However Starbucks coffee is not at all cheap compared to local cafés and its quality is questionable. Why then do people "walk in and give them their money"? Is it a matter of fashion?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    In the Starbucks case, people seem to be looking for cheapness rather than quality. However Starbucks coffee is not cheap compared to local cafés and its quality is questionable. Why then do people "walk in and give them their money"? Is it a matter of fashion?

I think for many yes, it is a matter of fashion. I've never been a big Starbucks fan. I think they overroast their beans...their coffee always tastes burned. Hopefully, the fashion will go out of style.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Is it a matter of fashion?

I suspect many people find it fashionable to go there.

• JH
    JH

I love Americans period because they are friendly, their gas is less expensive..lol, they speak english, and I love their way of life and freedom that comes with it.

• Simon
    Simon

I think many probably confuse Americans with America.

Personally, I dislike America because of it's short-sighted and dangerous foreign policy where it screws other countries and cause genuine suffering for their people simply for profit or an obsessive ideology. I dislike the blind attitude to the environment and the damanged caused to the planet.

Howoever, this does not mean that I hate Americans in the same way that being against the WTS should not mean that you hate JWs. One is a government / corporation and the other are the citizens / members. You could dislike Walmart but it doesn't mean that you "hate" Walmart employees does it?

Many people were against the war in Iraq and dilike President Bush, has this had a baring on how people view Americans? When America flexes its military muscles how do you feel?

The only reflection this has on Americans is that they voted in the administration doing it or perhaps don't bother to learn enough about the history of a conflict or put enough thought into the long-term consequences before supporting it.

Do Americans believe they are morally superior to everyone else? Do they realise that most of their wars are not to bring about peace, but to aquire oil? Do you think the average American citizen knows this, or do you think they are brainwashed to believe they are totally benevolent?

I think many Americans lead a similar existence to JWs in the WTS ... they believe what they are told and indoctrinated with since birth. They have mental triggers built in designed to stop all questioning about the mother nation.

Their patriotism is excessive to the point of anyone criticising the government being labelled as un-patriotic. They treat their flag like a god and die-hard patriots will support the countries policies no matter what.
    "My country right or wrong" IS totally wrong IMO. The true patriots were very often the ones who faught against the established Administrations of their day to bring about change and make a better country.
    What about the pervasive American culture that is wiping out local culture. In England, traditional cafes are being put out of business by Starbucks opening on every street corner in London... In Paris, the café culture still exists and is strong, but for how long? I know of 3 Starbucks which have openned there in the last year, to the protest of local citizens...

I think most countries (probably except France) like American culture (an oxymoron? LOL) such as the TV, films, fashion, even the food. We don't like what appears to be an incredibly selfish and wasteful society though with massive inequalities. The success of North American companies in Europe and elsewhere proves this - if we didn't like it then they wouldn't survive.

What do you think when people say "I hate Americans, they think they're so big and tough!!". Do you agree with them?

With which part? That "Americans think they are so big and tough" (I presume you mean the country, not them personally).

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    I love their way of life and freedom that comes with it.

Do they really have a better way of life than you Canadians? Do they have more freedom than us UK or EU citizens?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit