Why do people hate Americans?

by dorayakii 121 Replies latest social current

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Greed and smug superiority. I don't have to learn your language when I visit your country because I'm an American and you should know mine. My way is better, and morally we are superior.

Thats the stereotype the ugly american.

I think that part is separate from the government because we had that reputation before bush took office.

Now I would just wear a sign that says: I didn't vote for him, don't blame me!

Sherry

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

If things continue as they are what will the world be like in 2025? 2055? 2105?

Will American influence have brought stability to the Middle East? Will the 'War on Terror' have been won? Will children from France, Korea, Chad and anywhere else you care to mention be following American trends, mores and codes of behaviour? Will the variety of life - in clothing, language, food, music, literature etc - have been diluted by an increasingly Americanised media?

Will American religious fundamentalism still be wielding influence?

How will history judge the advance of 'Americanism' during the late 20th and early 21st centuries?

Nic'
    [hoping not to get blasted for simply asking questions]

• Pole
    Pole

JH,
    :I love Americans period because they are friendly, their gas is less expensive..lol, they speak english, and I love their way of life and freedom that comes with it.
    Ya mean the freedom (not) to smoke pot? I shrink when GW uses this word ;-), but you must mean something else.
    Personally, I think if there has to be a world policeman and if it can't be any other Western country because they're wimps compared to te US, then let it be America. It's way, way, way better than China or Russia.
    And I like a lot of things about America and Americans too ;-).
    Pole

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think Bush's famous smirk embodies in a single facial expression what Europeans find so dislikable about Americans.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

Most American people who have commented so far seem to have a balanced view of their country. They are not afraid to criticise it when it is wrong. Most don't agree with the "My country right or wrong" attitude...

Why then, does this cult-like patriotism still exist in America? Is it a case of practicing a cult but not really believing it? Is it like going to JW meetings and on the ministry, yet criticising the WTS behind closed doors?

Are Americans patriotic just for show?...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Are Americans patriotic just for show?

Maybe for some people it's like Starbucks - fashionable.

• Simon
    Simon

I think some are patriotic. Where it goes wrong is when it becomes nationalism. Too often people confuse the two and nationalistic fervour is portrayed as being patriotic (which it isn't) and people who don't go along told that they are not patriotic.

This is ugly to Europeans who have seen where nationalism leads. Don't take this the wrong way, but the Nazi's were probably very patriotic at one stage ... before nationalism took over. (no, I am not saying that America is like Nazi Germany)

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Are the American people responsable for voting in the Admisistration that has done so much damage?

Don't blame me! I voted for the guy who got more votes... not the guy put into office by a court.

• under74
    under74

Why then, does this cult-like patriotism still exist in America?

I think that because we are so wrapped up in a 2 party society that some people think they have to defend which ever side they are on no matter what. If they voted for Bush....they don't want to admit they are wrong. BUT it goes the same for the Democrat Party. I've pretty much voted Democrat with some Green Party and Libertarians scattered here and there....yet many hardcore Democrats won't admit when something is wrong with the part i.e. it being no better or different than the Republican Party.

I also think it had to do with 9/11 and the false patriotism that took place after. I knew people that got yelled at because they didn't have a flag flying outside their house. It wore off a little while but that kind of face value crap still exists.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Am I the only one who sees the similarity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit