national service

by Ellie 94 Replies latest jw friends

• Tez
    Tez

Think National Service should be the answer if they are not willing to work!!! Even if they do want to starve, because in this day and age starving isn't an option, they get too many benefits, or turn to crime thinking its an easier option than working (oh and of course they don't have to declare their ill gotten gains to benefits people). Any in the UK watch Bad Lads army.. with the real thing they couldn't get out so easy!!!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

diamondblue1974:

Personally I think that giving some of these chavs the choice between work and starvation could push them into crime as opposed to work;

That's why the prison system needs to be tougher on young offenders. Make them wish they were in Iraq.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Paul

No, I don't think we have a yob culture, I think we have a new target to blame and I don't have the answer for social injustice.

Ellie

No, geriatric. Is that your daughter in your pic? (young motherhood is deemed a chav quality in some quarters)

FunkyDerek

"these people"? Come come, you're normally above this. Before chavs, we had casuals, mods, punks, hippies, teddy boys, blacks, gypsies and the Irish that needed fixed.

• Ellie
    Ellie

under 74 - I'm not particularly worried about it, however, I have 2 kids and I don't want them to grow up thinking its ok to bunk off school because when they leave school at 16 they can get jobseekers allowance, and if they happen to get pregnant its ok because they will qualify for a council house and will never have to work.

Some people in this country work really hard and struggle while others just take the easy road and pick up their giro once a fortnight, its unfair, it doesn't worry me but it makes me mad.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Scotsman - I may only be 25 but having a 2 year old daughter hardly makes me a chav, I don't claim benefits, my partner works hard to provide for us, and I don't even own a baseball cap.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

scotsman:

"these people"? Come come, you're normally above this. Before chavs, we had casuals, mods, punks, hippies, teddy boys, blacks, gypsies and the Irish that needed fixed.

Well, call them what you want. I'm talking specifically about young able-bodied people who mooch off the state and cause trouble. If they dress in Burberry, I may ridicule them, but I don't think they should be imprisoned just for that.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Not even child benefit? I doff my hat to you.

• under74
    under74

Ellie- if yor kids really know what's expected of them and they see you working hard for what you provide them then it's a different story. While there may be a few thet milk the system there are many others that use it because they need it OR that's all they know. The system (what ever country it belongs to) is flawed but labeling young kids in a certain class and throwing out a cure for all (military) isn't going to solve the problem for all.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Ofcourse i get child benefit, who doesn't? is it wrong to have kids now?

I havn't chosen to be a mum just so that I can get a council house and benefits, I worked right up to being 8 months pregnant and I plan on working again shortly, either that or doing a college course.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    I think they could use someone telling them they are good enough to do whatever it is they want to do.

ME! ME! I bloody well tell them this every day. Im always trying to encourage my kids - I take into account that they have got hard lives, difficult families, and low expectations.

I spent a whole evening researching how one of my students could break into the DJ'ing business in exchange for him not destroying my maths lessons. I wrote it all down for him - industry magazines, websites, chat forums. I didnt expect him to do any maths, I just wanted him to let the rest of the class be able to listen. I even talked someone I knew into giving him DJ classes in the school hall on a lunchtime - all the kid had to do was got up to this person and arrange a lunchtime. Did he ever bother? Did he ever stop destroying my maths lessons? NO!

I constantly tell my kids they are good enough. They sneer at me with their cynical 'face like a slapped arse' look. They roll their eyes and say 'cant be bovered miss'. They laugh at me when I get enthusiastic and try to get them to think of anything at all they might be interested in after school.

Dont tell me no-one takes an interest - its what I spend most of my day doing (instead of preparing the maths I should be teaching). Its wasted on them because they are too f**king lazy to show the slightest interest in themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit