national service

by Ellie 94 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

Scotsman, as a teenager I was in the army cadets, not the same thing granted but I was never a trouble maker and I would have loved to have joined the army anyway had it not been for the fact that I began a bible study.

It would have given me more of a direction in life, allowed me to grow up with some ambition rather than just doing one dead end job after another.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

How would you solve the problem of the ASBO'd ones then?

• Ellie
    Ellie

under 74 - There is plenty of help available here for kids under the age of 18, but how much help can people keep giving with nothing back in return.

The soft approach isn't working, statistics aren't my strong point but there are still a lot of unemployed young people who have no direction or interest in life, other than trouble making.

College courses are free but a lot of them can't even be bothered to enrol, so not much chance of them looking for a job.

Are tax payers just expected to keep throwing money at them?

• scotsman
    scotsman

You mean the farmer with the raucous pigs? ASBO smashbo, another New Labour sticking plaster.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Ellie

Are you really 25? You sound geriatric!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Are tax payers just expected to keep throwing money at them?

Yes, and that's the only thing that really needs to change. If these people woke up one day and found their choice was no longer between working for a living and staying at home getting stoned, but between working for a living and starving to death, most of them would find jobs pretty quickly. The rest would soon cease to be a problem.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Scotsman - do I really sound geriatric or just unchavlike?

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

scotsman

Ok (sigh) Can you agree we have a yob culture in the UK? If so, then how would you propose to solve the problem?

• under74
    under74
    under 74 - There is plenty of help available here for kids under the age of 18, but how much help can people keep giving with nothing back in return.

That's not what I said. Help for their families before the age of 18 is what I said. A teenager isn't very likely to take help.

The soft approach isn't working

In the US the strong approach has been taken and it's had a horrible effect. Have you had drive by shootings in your neighborhood?

Here's a question for you....why are you so worried about it? I know taxes are always brought up in these kinds of debates but in the US it's less than 3 percent of the national taxes that go to welfare receivers.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I personally believe it has some benefit but believe it should only be compulsory in certain circumstances; such as with young offenders and extremely long term unemployed (wont work as opposed to cant).

FD - Personally I think that giving some of these chavs the choice between work and starvation could push them into crime as opposed to work; why? because they are inherently lazy and will choose anything that gives them a quick shilling or two (has anyone seen Oliver Twist?)

Get em into national service and some of them will be transformed...thats gotta be a benefit!

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit