national service

by Ellie 94 Replies latest jw friends

• under74
    under74

I think they could use someone telling them they are good enough to do whatever it is they want to do. I think that they need some positive pushing towards their education rather than people telling them how gutter they are. I may think they are dumb--as most kids are dumb. But these are kids with different circumstances than the average middle class kid. So, I don't think the military is the answer for them...or any kids for that matter.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Ok, how would you react if someone told you this as a kid?

The point im getting at is there are huge opportunities for young people in this country, it really is on a plate for them, but they continually choose a life of being a nuisance to other people. Maybe its different in the US.

The army is an established version of the brat camps they have in the US.

• Ellie
    Ellie

under 74 - these kids have more than enough encouragement, all the way through school they get encouraged and offered help, but there is such a strong drug/alcohol culture here, that they are too interested in commiting crimes and getting wasted to care, its discipline that they need.

• under74
    under74

I think you have to take into context the life they are coming from, the experiences they've had, the cycles they are expected to break. In the US many say opportunities are offered for those willing to take them but from experience I'm saying that it's not always easy to take them (if they are offered) when it's not what you know--what you're brought up with.

I think we are coming from two different places. I may not be in the same place I was when I was 18--but I remember how tough it was. AND I'm not special, most of the kids I knew at the time were trying to survive in one way or another.

• Ellie
    Ellie

under 74 - what do you really think would help these kids then?

• scotsman
    scotsman

Maybe we should send the chavs to Deep Cut where they can get bullied and shot kill themselves.

Why is it that chavs need national service to learn discipline and respect but other teenagers don't? What is it those other adolescents are getting?

• Ellie
    Ellie

I think national service should be compulsary for everyone, girls and boys, I just think it would be even more beneficial for chavs and especially young offenders, bloody hell, does nobody watch Bad Lads Army?

• scotsman
    scotsman

what would national service have given you Ellie?

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

It would have made ME better organised, and probably much fitter!

• under74
    under74

Help for there families before the age of 18. More than being told they could be window washers one day....and all the stuff I stated in one of my posts above--eg the one that says something like they don't need people calling them gutter trash. I took one college class at a community college or Junior College when I was 20 and working at a bakery part time. You can't imagine what that one class did for me. I realized I could do it and I didn't have to join the military for it. I didn't have to be forced to call someone miss or sir. Also, I've met people with horrible manners AND ethics/morals that have been in the military or from what might be considered a higher class than myself so how could the military be of benifit?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit