A Customer really pissed me off yesterday at work: SHE WANTS TO PRAY for me

by Terry 116 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Andi, as I'm the only lesbian that posted, was that directed at me? Because I did not say what you quoted, someone else did. I said "the ones I have met", which isn't a sweeping generalization. I'm not sure what your agenda is, but you aren't helping my view of christians with a comment like that.

Sherry

• Odrade
    Odrade

And I know Christians don't ALL attack someone's sexuality, everytime they want to make a "point." sheesh. *major eyeroll*

• luna2
    luna2

Interesting experience, Terry. LOL Hate being treated as if I've tragically missed the boat when I never wanted to get on the boat in the first place.

A little embarrassing (as well as infuriating) to be on the receiving end of the proselytizying. If that ever comes up in my life...and it might as my sister is now a born again baptist...I'll know not to get sucked in.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Oh good grief people. For any of you that know me, (board persona or in person) KNOW that I have NOTHING against gay people. Shall I stand on the rooftops to scream it? Look back over my post history...not once have I said anything otherwise.

Gretchen...I have nothing against your lifestyle. I've always liked you, enjoyed your posts, found connections with you in many ways, as an exJW and as a woman. This was NOT directed at you. My agenda was to point out that GBL "sweeping generalization" was as tacky as if I made one about lesbians. I've met plenty of beautiful, sensitive NON butchy lesbians and I don't have an issue with anyone's sexuality. (Unless they're trying to aggressively convert me. LOL) <--- That's a joke btw - like Christians trying to aggressively convert athiests. Get it?

Do my words really say that's what I think? READ MY COMMENTS PEOPLE. SEE MY EYES ROLLING???

*I guess that's what I get for trying to be sarcastically funny around here.*

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Thanks, Andi, I still think that was a poor choice of examples, but I agree that I have never seen you gay bash ever. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sherry

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Thanks, Andi, I still think that was a poor choice of examples, but I agree that I have never seen you gay bash ever. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Apology accepted. And thank you for attempting to see my viewpoint before making harsh judgements. I am sorry if my sarcasm wasn't written more succinctly. LOL

I guess this makes my point though. Why is it okay on this board (mainly of non-faith members) to make bashing comments about Christians (who happen to be in the minority around here), but it's a MAJOR no-no to make gay bashing comments. Or black bashing comments? Or athiest bashing comments? Doesn't this seem a little two-faced for people that are trying to recover from making sweeping judgements based on little experience?

If it hurts your feelings to hear people make gay-bashing jokes or racist jokes, doesn't it seem like maybe Christians feelings would be hurt for hearing comments like the above? Why does the courtesy end at religious affiliation? It seems hypocritical to me.

• undercover
    undercover
    *I guess that's what I get for trying to be sarcastically funny around here.*

you forgot the little smiley face behind the statement...like this... That makes it all good. (see?)

But, seriously...I got BG's point; she wasn't picking on any one group, she was trying to show how certain statements can be generalizations of a group... and then GBL revised his statement and apologized.

• trevor
    trevor

I think GetBusyLiving summed it up in his large print post above.

Gays & blacks don’t condemn us they just want us to accept them.

Christians do condemn those who will not sign up. The correct word is piety

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    If it hurts your feelings to hear people make gay-bashing jokes or racist jokes, doesn't it seem like maybe Christians feelings would be hurt for hearing comments like the above? Why does the courtesy end at religious affiliation? It seems hypocritical to me.

I seriously would like to hear some viewpoints on my comments. Why is this okay around here?

undercover - I thought I had myself covered with the little eye-rolling face...I guess I did use the wrong one.

• talesin
    talesin

Whether it's unsolicited comments about religion or my appearance or whatever, I just cut arrogant people off at the knees. Nicely.

"I did not ask for your opinion on my personal XXXX, so I would rather not hear it, thank you."

End of conversation.

Or, I may have asked her, "Who died and left you queen?" if I felt like pushing her buttons.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit