Our Own Conference

by Valis 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Bryan
    Bryan

I agree with Sherry. And, I don't expect this, but I hope it would not be some sort of Christain healing....

Bryan

Have You Sen My Mother

• Valis
    Valis

No way it would be Bryan and as it would be held on a campus I couldn't have it be that kind of thing anyway. That is why emphasis would be on people like you and Donald and others who have written about your experiences. And have other facets of the experience explained by psychologists and people who focus on the study of abberant religious experience. And I also like Sherry's idea combined w/Lady lee's about group dynamics. It could make for some good topics to be discussed.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

A few more items of consideration:

Non-profit or someone is going to get hit bigtime by IRS.

either 1) get some already non-profit organization (Silent Lambs, Quotes, etc) to completely sponsor this, including taking in funds with separate accounting and bank account and tracking of said funds

or 2) get your own non-profit legal stuff outta da way. Paperwork and an atty and some fees are usually required.

Leftover funds:

1) disburse to a charity
    2) retain for seed money for future events.... annual?

Volunteer hosts for each room/event

These would assist those attending with handouts, seating, etc and assist the speaker.

Volunteer for all or part of registration fee for the "scholarship", and please put me down for a scholarship and volunteer work as I have no income due to chronic illness.

You are going to need to have pre-completed packets and lists of those pre-paid and several volunteers or it will be a mess. Trust me.

Host Room with coffee, water, soda, doughnuts, cookies, for a donation or small fee, where us secular types can hang out or drop in to chat or volunteers can take a load off.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Here's another thought on topic, especially if you're thinking of having it at a school. Have someone speak about going back to school for adults. Many of us are quite a bit older coming out of the borg and going back to school isn't something we would have any idea about. What types of grants and scholorships are there, etc.

So Valis, I take it this would be in Texas?

Sherry

• POs Son
    POs Son

Valis,
    I recently attended a 2-day conference sponsored by and for the benefit of a group of safety educators. They paid for a large portion of the conference expenses not just by having sponsors, but by giving each sponsor about 10 minutes of stage time, guaranteeing them some real exposure. For example, " The refreshements at the morning break are sponsored by the Watchtower Bible and Corruption Society, who will speak for a few minutes on how to develop a cult-like following in a major city."
    The vendors love it, the attendees usually are polite enough not to make a mass exedous as the sponsor speaks, and everybody wins.
    POs Son

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

BTTT - Where's it at, Valis? What help do you need?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'd be happy to do a session on Post-Cult Flirting, with Logansrun as my biatch poster-boy prop

Alternatively, you could have break-out sessions for things like Mysticism, etc. After all, if it's going to be an "event", why limit it to a single auditorium?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Post-Cult Flirting

What you talking about LT? Whose ever flirted with you, huh??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit