Our Own Conference

by Valis 67 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Possible agenda based on my experience with AA conferences:

Fri eve 7pm-9pm Opening meeting but not the 'hottest' speaker

Sat mornings and afternoons - workshops or smaller groups with meetings geared to specific topics

This could include a mens meeting and a womens meeting as the issues differ between the sexes.

Sat eve 7-9pm Big meeting Big speaker or speakers

Sunday morning (In AA it's considered "spiritual" meeting often with an athiest presenting )

Go no later than noon so people can get flights home in the afternoon.

This schedule allows for 3 to 6 big speakers in the main auditorium.

Dallas sounds good as a U town and an airline hub city

Advanced registration will help get advanced money to help with any fees including speaker fees or if the speaker is volunteering time, paying for their airfare and hotel.

A closeby-hotel hopefully modestly priced - get a block of rooms w/ special rates

T-Shirt sales! Coffee mugs. Beer mugs.

Attendees - JW's and exJW's. The mental health community. Legal community.

Attendance? 500 feels closer to reality

Don't forget to have the big meetings taped and sell the tapes.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Here's a quote from Crocadile Dundee for Vails...

"Call that a spanky thing?.... now that's a spanky thing"

http://www.bbq-tools.com/store/images/SPATPOLYPERF.jpg

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Sorry Valis, didn't mean to offend. From pictures I've seen and stories I've been told that seems to be commonplace at so-called apostofests. Please don't reduce my posting limit any lower. Simon doesn't return my PMs asking for a raise.

By the by, the meaning of my post and the sad face i.e. :( meant that I wish I enjoyed pot - I don't. And alcohol doesn't mix with the heavy dose of anti-coagulants I have to take every day so my prosthetic heart valve doesn't form a clot which would kill me. So I miss my precious Guinness and Harp. :(

• Valis
    Valis

Cyg no worries from me man, wishing you the best of health...and yeah we have a good time at our parties, but this would be something different entirely. That is not to say that at some point beer would not be involved...better yet we could have a real symposium...

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

just because I can...

alt

• Valis
    Valis

LOL Richie that was good..

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Alternate agenda

Friday night reception at a local restaurant/pub/hotel bar

Saturday 10-Noon <break for lunch> 2 to 5 <break for dinner>of speakers with a big one Sat night <7 - 9>- a single speaker, or a symposium with several renowned persona's - a roundtable sort of thingy

No sunday.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yeah, Richie, that is good.

Y'all, don't forget the t-shirts coffee cups beer pints and taped speakers

• Valis
    Valis

Well I've done some recon and am awaiting responses to my emails. I contacted several colleagues at SMU and University of Dallas. I am hoping they will put me in touch with a couple specific professors that lecture on topics like the birth of religious sects and Apocalyptic writings. Both topics which I think might be of interest to some. In combination with the literary stuff and those topics I also have access to a small theater type area with a projector so maybe we could have a video or two going at the same time, which would round it out even more.. Any other ideas are most welcome.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• rebel8
    rebel8

I love this idea and will look for more posts about it.

And alcohol doesn't mix with the heavy dose of anti-coagulants I have to take every day so my prosthetic heart valve doesn't form a clot which would kill me. So I miss my precious Guinness and Harp. :(

See Cyg, I have a clotting deficiency and I can't drink either...well I do occassionally, but it's minimal. Sad. I miss the days before I realized the dangers of alcohol. It was so much fun then. Now I actually have to put effort into relaxing. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit