Our Own Conference

by Valis 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

LOL logan don't you have identical psycho twins to ponder?

• logansrun
    logansrun
    This is something I've thought about for some time now, if just a few wanted to step up and start an organized entity strictly for helping others move past the cult, I'd back it with everything I had.

Just a thought -- please don't bark back -- but could it be that the best way to "move past the cult" is not to attend conferences of this nature? Analysis, paralysis.

B.

• Valis
    Valis

Hey Logan, the tree says hello! lol There is also an infromational aspect I think. I mean really if everyone just moved on as it were, would there be anyone to help the people still being hurt?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• logansrun
    logansrun

Valis,

Most of those who would attend such a conference are already ex-JWs well beyond the "I need help" stage. My speculation is that most ex-JWs who are still "hurting from the WT" need help outside of the domain of ex-Witnessdom. I mean, would such a conference really encourage one to move on, or would it just further the group mindset of "JW bad, ex-JW good" mentality that is almost ubiquitous among ex-JWs on the net? I think it would.

B.

• Valis
    Valis

Well logan you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but IMO we have a lot of authors, scholars, and teachers in our midst and I think if we can share with each other then so much the better. I am fully aware of the "pat ourselves on the back" issue, but you see there is a larger audience and all one has to do is advertise correctly and they will come. In reality many XJWs might not benefit in a direct "getting over it" manner, however if people are still dealing with issues or there are others doing research I think it would be very enlightening for them. We have major Catholic, Methodist and Baptist Universities here and one would imagine there might be a few theology students interested to say the least.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Logan, I see the conference as much of a psycological/social worker/legal community information provider including families of witnesses.

Valis, don't forget media attention at the local AND national levels.

V. One thing you might do is outline your thoughts as they come in, including agenda, speakers, format, etc.

Add items as location, accommodations, transportation

Registration, pre-ordering books for autographing and sale, and "tourist" items like t-shirts if you choose.

Wrist bands and name badges for attendees. Ribbons attached to the name badges for support staff, and another type of ribbon for speaker.

Agendas printed (can't remember the right name for this item)

Then organize them so you can assign people/committees to work on individual or combo items, like all printing - Agendas, Ribbons, Wristbands. Someone else to work on Accommodations and Travel arrangements. Another to coordinate books. Someone to work on the accounting. someone else to handle registration. Etc.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Interesting idea.

Videos: try the Walking Wounded Series http://www.kohlproductions.com/walkingwounded/interview.htm

Interviews were done with James Penton, Grace Gough/Mouthy, and myself

As for profs checks out courses in Management, Applied Social Services/Science, as well as Social Work. Any program that on some level deals with group dynamics. I used to guest lecture in many of these classes.

I think a university campus is a great idea. Most are accessible.

• damselfly
    damselfly
    Most of those who would attend such a conference are already ex-JWs well beyond the "I need help" stage.

It would be good to go to gather resources to help all the ex-JW's who, unfortunately are still in the "I need help stage" Plus to raise awareness regarding the JW doctrines and beliefs to interested ones.

Dams

• Beans
    Beans

One of the main speakers would have to be Quotes and he would talk about his idea of a web site that only uses there own words and how it was launched and where it is today. As well a panel debate would also have to be in order or a round table discussion!

http://quotes.watchtower.ca

• Valis
    Valis

Brother Beans only if you show up in your plaid pants!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit