Our Own Conference

by Valis 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

I know there are conferences that XJWs attend, but since I ran accross Joy Castro's writings and new book today it got me thinking about the subject. Something non-religious in nature.....well as non religious as XJWs can get anyway lol. I think it would be cool if we could have people like her, Kimberly Norris, Bryan, Donald, and so many of the others that have done stuff for us. All that artistic material would make for some really good presentations I think. Maybe also have panel discussions over the various topics we hash out like the blood issue, biblical dates, sexual abuse, etc. The cool thing is that we could have a conference and then instead of going to distribute mags at unsuspecting laundromats, we could have some Apostafest action to boot! So, if you were going to such a thing who would be on your program? Also, for those of you who have planned conferences before any advice or tips that can help the conversation are most welcome.

Sincerely,

Disrict Overbeer

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Well what a great idea Valis!!! I would love to have the cult dude, Steve Hassein (incorrect spelling) as a speaker. But I'm sure he costs a fortune.

Would we have assigned hotels and have to bring our own lunch?

cathy l.

• Bryan
    Bryan

This is something to think about Valis. It certainly would draw attention to the inner happenings of the Witnesses.

In my interview for the next newspaper article, I told the woman that almost no one knows anything about the Witnesses. She agreed. And this is the problem. No one, accept for those affected, realize how the Tower seperates children from parent, cousins from aunts and uncles, new born babies from hemeraging mothers.

Something to think about... don't forget about Dr. Jerry Bergman.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I can see speakers including someone from Silent Lambs, Bryan, Joy Castro, and maybe some ex-bethelites!

Maybe someone with a legal background, too, with subjects such as DFing, shunnning, and child-rearing by ex-spouses who are still JW's etc.

A psychologist regarding the cult mentality and recovery processes.

Where? A hub city?

When? Is winter travel less expensive than summer?

Hotels usually have the best facilities, even some of the cheeper hotels.

Group rates on hotel accommodation and airfare..... anyone here a travel agent?

Keep the registration fee as low as possible. Like AA if it begins to run in the red, pass the plate!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

V - I aint got nuttin better to do, I can play secretary.

blcloutier at yahoo dot com

• Valis
    Valis

Thanks Brenda and if I were to decide on arranging something I will keep you in mind. One of the things I was thinking is that a city with several major universities would offer an audience that would be interested in the legal, psychological, and religious studies involving the Witnesses and cults in general.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Sure... just lemme know what you want/need done.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Will we have a Simplified Feeding Arrangement?

Will we be allowed to Save Seats?

Will we have to wear our badges everywhere?

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Confession
    Confession

Valis, this sounds like a great idea. I'm in. My first thought is some place centrally located--like St. Louis. But it would probably be best to find the destination that's least expensive by air. Where would that be?

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Some good ideas, Valis. It's not that difficult to organize a conference, but you need funds. Most depend on delegate entrance fees, so you want to think about who you would target as delegates (besides xjw's), so that you can generate a large enough audience to at least break even. Your idea about a university is a good one, there are some that offer those types of courses, and professionals/students are a good audience source. Cost is a big thing, so if you can make it a location that is easy to get to and relatively inexpensive

Maybe take a look through some social psychology organizations, read what kinds of conference agendas they have, where and how, etc. for ideas.

It might be hard to sell a conference that is strictly jw in focus, but maybe if it had a broader application - i.e. cults, religious sects that utilize mind control, etc. And ask questions like - what is the point of this conference? What will attendees get out of it? How can I convince them they want to attend?

I'm certainly interested, so add me to the potential "list" if you want to take it further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit