Our Own Conference

by Valis 67 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I do have to ask a few questions.

How many people here have actually organized a conference of any size? (JW convention experience counts only if you were one of the people that negotiated the contracts with the buildings and hotels, planned the program and scheduled the speakers)

For several years, I worked organizing 2-day conferences from 100 to 300 people in the field of educaiton.

It took several committed, reliable people/committees starting the year before to arrange for them.

1) a location of sufficient size

The good places go fast; book ahead

2) food arrangements

Food provided so people don't have to leave the meeting area

3) speakers

Travel expenses, hotel, usually are paid for by the organization inviting them; yes, and there may even be a speakers fee for a big name

4) people to put on the break-out sessions (and people to do the introductions/see that the proper AV equipment is in each room, etc)

Could be in-house ex-JWs; but if you bring in non-JW people, don't assume they do it for free.

5) registration, name tags (if used), printing hand-out schedules

6) Rooms blocked at a nearby hotel/or in the one the conference takes place in

How many; how much; which depends on how many people are coming

7) A clear view of the theme and goals of the conference so you know who to invite as speakers and to handle any break-out sessions.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it is more than organizing a party. If you want speakers to commit, you need a clear plan so they can know if they have time in their schedule.

And then no matter how well you prepare, the power can go off.

Blondie

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I think the child abuse issue needs to be included as well, for several reasons. The Org is set up as a paradise for predators, and if this is more widely known, it will draw more attention to the problem.

• Valis
    Valis

1) a location of sufficient size

I am pretty sure my college would host, if anything just for publicity and favors owed.

2) food arrangements

I could easily have the new school cafeteria open and ready to roll with something like that with a quickness.

3) speakers

Travel expenses, hotel, usually are paid for by the organization inviting them; yes, and there may even be a speakers fee for a big name

this would be one issue I have not addressed as of yet, but I am sure can be dealt with.

4) people to put on the break-out sessions (and people to do the introductions/see that the proper AV equipment is in each room, etc)

easily done I think if we have a short conference. I have plenty of "smart carts" with laptops, Internet access and either projectors already installed in the rooms or on the cart itself. All I have to do is reserve them.

5) registration, name tags (if used), printing hand-out schedules

I'm betting I can get this done on the spot with a laptop and printer. Logos, programs and tickets are a small piece of the pie which can be solved easy enough..

6) Rooms blocked at a nearby hotel/or in the one the conference takes place in

Easily done.

7) A clear view of the theme and goals of the conference so you know who to invite as speakers and to handle any break-out sessions.

this is what I need from you all..

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it is more than organizing a party. If you want speakers to commit, you need a clear plan so they can know if they have time in their schedule.

agreed, but this isn't my first rodeo and my intial emails have been only to query interest to see if they are willing to come on down at all.

And then no matter how well you prepare, the power can go off.

Blondie

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Blondie, you have said more susinctly(sp) what I've been trying to say.

Also, Valis, you are NOT alone. Deligate. There is pleanty that can be done at a distance, like preparing schedules, designing nametags, etc. Once there, there are many who can volunteer their time for setup, registration, directions, etc.

A registration packet should be put together with information including but not limited to:

Schedule of Events
    Map of Events, food, parking, etc
    NameBadge
    Some gimme gadget like a fridge magnet, are always fun. Or pens - functional ones!

=============================

Now, I may be over the top on this one, but what about a different rate for professionals attending this for information as to how to handle cult members leaving... i.e. psycoholgists, social workers, etc.

Is it possible to make some of this a professional credit for continuing education for some of these professionals?

If not the first event, something to consider for future events.

=============================

Now, after all is said and done now, with our input..... How has YOUR vision shaped up?

• Valis
    Valis

brenda, my vision has actually shaped up considerably even since yesterday. I woke up today seeing some of it in my mind. What I imagine is this... friday as you say meet and greet, probably at one of the many restuarants around the downtown area. easily done. Then on Saturday the main happenings. What I would like is many things going at the same time. for instance, some may be interested to visit or sit in on a panle involving sexual abuse and some may be more interested in the psychology of high control groups, Apocalyptic writings, psychology of spiritual abuse, etc.... Some may be interested to hear readings from litterature authored by victims as well as discussion of said books, which could be arranged in auditorium and recorded if necessary.. Plus at differering times on the day some videos would be running about cults, JWs and high control groups. As well, there would be an area for authors to set up, sell books and sign. Also other cult awareness information would be welcome and encouraged, including vend opportunities.. I have the place and now all I need is the people, which I hope to hear back from tomorrow or soon. BTW, can someone remind me of Donald's user name and or send me his email address? He is high on the list of possible guest speakers. I also want to make it clear that he and Joy Castro are not just there for JW experience, but I thought it would be good if we had writers who had tackled such tough subjects it might help others who want to follow along and share their experiences to the point of having them published. People who write about hard stuff IMO can advise perhaps not like others can when it comes to such personal revelation and outpouring. More thoughts later. Sincerely, District Overbeer

• Bryan
    Bryan

All good ideas. Flighs are cheeper in the fall and winter.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    What I would like is many things going at the same time.

Try not to get too many going at the same time. 2, or 3 most. When I developed workshops at an NAHB convention for our software company, the complaint was too many at the same time and could not be attended by one person.

• Valis
    Valis

I agree Brenda about too many things going on at once. One of my interests though is to provide a variety of subjects which I think is important if we're gonna do it right. BTW, I got an initial response from Dr. Bergman today which is a good thing.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    for instance, some may be interested to visit or sit in on a panle involving sexual abuse and some may be more interested in the psychology of high control groups, Apocalyptic writings, psychology of spiritual abuse, etc.... Some may be interested to hear readings from litterature authored by victims as well as discussion of said books, which could be arranged in auditorium and recorded if necessary.. Plus at differering times on the day some videos would be running about cults, JWs and high control groups. As well, there would be an area for authors to set up, sell books and sign. Also other cult awareness information would be welcome and encouraged, including vend opportunities.. I have the place and now all I need is the people, which I hope to hear back from tomorrow or soon.

None of those things would be interesting to me for various reasons. I have no experience, only MUCH sympathy on the sexual abuse issue. I have no interest in psychology, and I totally wouldn't come if its all christian-centered. Don't forget there are those of us who are WAY more secular. How about something about learning to trust people, making friends in the world, tolerance and respect of other ways of thinking or lives. I don't know, it just sounds like a rehash of the same types of stuff, I'm not sure whats missing I just know that there is a hole there. I have never been to a conference yet, and ACB offers them once a year, for the reason that its all around this stuff and I could care less.

I've planned a few of these myself for work, and if you have everything that you have planned as well as hotel rooms for those attending, people are looking at fees of probably easily 200.00 to attend. That gets very spendy and there are those of us who work low paying jobs as a result of growing up in a cult that didn't allow you to attend college. Perhaps a scholorship fund for those types would be helpful.

Just my thoughts.

Sherry

• Valis
    Valis
    Perhaps a scholorship fund for those types would be helpful.

Hi Sherry I think that is a great idea. Thanks for your input...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit