Do you believe in miracles?

by hibiscusfire 108 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    The surgeons and medical staff involved had done everything in their power and seemingly failed. Then miraculously the patient had recovered. Such incidents when they occur are beyond rational explanation.

How do yo explain that then?

Hib

Examine your premise.

You are building your reasoning process on the ability to explain. To explain you must have full information. When people don't have ALL the information necessary they cannot explain. That is when the category of MIRACLE becomes useful.

Look back through history and you'll find human ignorance ending when data is discovered and this is followed by a MIRACLE disappearing!

It was once believed the brain's purpose was to cool the body (Aristotle). The Egyptians preserved every part of the human body EXCEPT the brain!

In your case, they were correct.

You have to use that thing in your head correctly if you want to reach valid conclusions.

Angels don't push the sun around the earth anymore. You want to know why? The motion of the planets was discovered to be gravitational. Poof! Bye-bye angels. Now the Earth goes around the sun! Now that is a miracle. Only god could make such a transition!

Ummm, or human ignorance.

T.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

u/d:

Once again..."it happened to ME, so it must be real"... What about all the people who go to Maui...and die...or get injured... You sure don't see the good things do ya?

What about the Scientific Method? Admit it... you LIKE and WANT to believe it...so it's so... Science does not have all the answers. Not everything is about science

There is no "proof" other than what can easily be explained away... but that doesn't support your belief WANT, so it's conveniently expunged...and labeled a "miracle"... Explained by whom? Mere man who don't have a clue himself??

I'm sure Bin Laden believes it a "miracle" that he was able to pull off the Twin Towers "job" and PROOF of Allah's "blessing" on His people....UGGGH!!! That is terrorism - don't get tied up!

Ever heard the saying every cloud has a silver lining?

Ever heard the saying When one door closes God opens a window???

Sometimes things happen for a reason can you explain why?

What is the most positive thing have you accomplished in your life? What purpose do you serve?

Hib

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Terry:

You are building your reasoning process on the ability to explain. To explain you must have full information. When people don't have ALL the information necessary they cannot explain. That is when the category of MIRACLE becomes useful.

That is not true...only your opinion

Look back through history and you'll find human ignorance ending when data is discovered and this is followed by a MIRACLE disappearing!

What kind of data are you talking about? What does a miracle have to do with that anyways?

It was once believed the brain's purpose was to cool the body (Aristotle). The Egyptians preserved every part of the human body EXCEPT the brain! In your case, they were correct. You have to use that thing in your head correctly if you want to reach valid conclusions.

PEOPLE DON'T EVEN USE A FULL 1/4 OF THEIR BRAINS' CAPACITY

Angels don't push the sun around the earth anymore. You want to know why? The motion of the planets was discovered to be gravitational. Poof! Bye-bye angels. Now the Earth goes around the sun! Now that is a miracle. Only god could make such a transition!

Who said angels pushed the sun around?

What is the binding force of an atom?

HF

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I would love to believe in miracles! But I have seen too many ask for a miracle and too little receiving one. I do not think a loving god would do that.

Many that deserve one don't get it and many that don't deserve it get many..just the way life is.

Thus the song..the rich get rich and the poor get poorer..ain't we got fun...

If god is performing those miracles..he has a twisted sense of humor!

Snoozy..

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Golden girl:

I would love to believe in miracles! But I have seen too many ask for a miracle and too little receiving one. I do not think a loving god would do that. Many that deserve one don't get it and many that don't deserve it get many..just the way life is.

Thus the song..the rich get rich and the poor get poorer..ain't we got fun...If god is performing those miracles..he has a twisted sense of humor!

Hello Snoozy,

As I had posted earlier.....God is sovereign. God is not a pawn.

Miracles do happen but they don't happen to everyone, no matter how hard as we may pray.

When love-ones die from diseases and accidents even though we love the Lord and pray with all our heart for a miracle, we just have to leave the outcome with the Lord.

Sometimes love-ones are cured miraculously and live a full life. Other times they pass away or live very miserable lives. We don't know the answers and reasons why some things happen.

But God's grace and love is sufficient in times of deep pain.

Hibiscusfire

• Undecided
    Undecided

If God wanted all people to hear the gospel don't you think he could perform a miracle to accomplish this?

I'll consider it a miracle if I can pee next Wednesday when they remove my catheterization bag.

Ken P.

• upside/down
    upside/down

1.) You sure don't see the good things do ya?
    2.) Science does not have all the answers.
    3.) That is terrorism - don't get tied up

4.) Sometimes things happen for a reason can you explain why?

1.) Absolutely... I see the good...just don't attribute it to divinely random "miracles". As shown repeatedly in my examples...the "good" is very dependent on who's point of view you take in a given situation....right?

2.) Science has never had all the answers...but has more and more as time goes on. It's a far better cry than "praying" to a "God" that selectively ignores and acts illogically.

3.) "Terrorism"...says you!.... You'll never find a "terrorist" that calls themselves that... the American Revolutionaries were "terrorist" to the Brits.

4.) And sometimes there is no reason...agree?

u/d (of the it'll be a "miracle" if you can get my point of view class)

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Ken P. If God wanted all people to hear the gospel don't you think he could perform a miracle to accomplish this? But He is Ken!!! There are missionaries who are carrying out God's will. The gospel is being preached to people all over the world. ...even to tribes people in Peru who have set up a church now waiting for the missionaries to return. By the way ....an example of what happened there... The mother brought her baby to the missionaries for prayers. The baby was in a coma for some days. As soon as the missionaries finished praying the baby started to move and cry!!!! This is true. They are missionaries from the church I attend. They are risking thier lives doing what they are doing but by faith they are doing it.

I'll consider it a miracle if I can pee next Wednesday when they remove my catheterization bag. Having faith can cure you completely - miracles. It can be done. The small thing is to repent and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour with your whole heart. That's all. God will ease your pain in times of trouble....the world would forsake you but not God uh uh. Hib

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Hey Hibiscusfire!

I have never experienced a miracle myself so I have to say no. I wouldn't call a recovery 'miraculous' unless there was no medical personnel or treatment involved. It may be a 'surprise' that a patient recovered WITH medical treatment, but I hardly call that a miracle.

Sometimes things happen for a reason can you explain why?

This phrase and it's close cousin "everything happens for a reason" are real cop outs to me. Especially when Christians use this as salve to cover the pain of tragic events. You see hib, people attribute both good and bad to God. But I can't believe that God would kill a child just to take them to heaven. I don't believe either that God would protect 1 passenger but let 299 others die. If one cannot explain 'why' things happen then the wise answer is 'I don't know'. Then if you want to find out seek the answer for yourself.

I know that you won't agree with my response so let me kill the back and forth banter before it starts: You and I will not agree on this topic. That doesn't mean that I am not interested in reading your point of view and others. I don't see any need to argue and name call on a discussion board. I don't treat people that way in person and I won't allow the anonymity of the internet to change my nature. I do have strong opinions on some things ... but like my grandmother used to say - an opionion is like an a**hole, everybody has one .

If you wouldn't mind answering this question, I would like to know why you come here to preach to people that are trying to recover from being in a cult. I know that some have a new spiritual outlook, but the attempts at proselytyzing on a board with a bunch of non-believers reminds me of my former cult days. I would feel sad and rejected when my message was rebuffed and I genuninely felt sorry for the person rejecting it. Do you do that too?

sweet tee

• Frannie Banannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit