Do you believe in miracles?

by hibiscusfire 108 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

What some describe as miracles happen all the time to people whether they are good or bad, Christian or athiest, whether the pray or not.

By the same token, unbelievably terrible things happen to all sorts of people too. Is the good person who changes travel plans at the last minute and gets killed in an accident experiencing an anti-miracle? When an evil person experiences the things you describe as miracles, what then?

We use superlatives too easily. Please think for one minute, please read other folks opinions, please don't just respond with a reflex action. I'm a Christian but we really have to think about what we're saying.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    We use superlatives too easily. ; Please think for one minute, please read other folks opinions, please don't just respond with a reflex action. ; I'm a Christian but we really have to think about what we're saying.

I've had more than 50 yrs to think about it, Jaffa. And I didn't stutter.

Noel

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

sweet tee:

I wouldn't call a recovery 'miraculous' unless there was no medical personnel or treatment involved.

Concerning the baby ...there was no medical treatment except for the hand of God. This is a tribe we are talking about - in the jungle!!

HF

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

2.) Science has never had all the answers...but has more and more as time goes on. It's a far better cry than "praying" to a "God" that selectively ignores and acts illogically.

If you compare some of the findings of scientist to the things of the Bible you'll see it was already accounted for and predicted.

HF

• John Doe
    John Doe

I can't begin to convey the sense of depression this thread's refusal to reason has given me. Do I believe in miracles? Yah, I suppose I believe it's an unexplainable miracle that anyone with such juvenile aspersions to sensible discussion has managed to survive long enough to acquire the skills necessary to make these posts. I guess it’s a probable miracle that enough sensible people have prevented us from our own self-imposed annihilation from reality at the hands of such simple-minded, illogical, arrogant tomfoolery. But most of all, I find it miraculous that after my 26 human years on this planet, arrogant bigotry still affects me and makes me want to hurl.

Do I find a reason why some die and some don’t in catastrophes? Certainly, blind damned chance. I sure as hell won’t put fault with victims for not finding favor in God’s eyes and deserving a miracle. I sure as hell don’t think I’m important enough for the controlling force of the whole universe to find personal interest in every detail of my life. I don’t believe God micromanages, if he even cares about the affairs of humans. And I sure as hell don’t find hypocritical, non-sequitur, blind religious bigotry convincing to the contrary. I shall leave this thread, for intelligence has not made an appearance here from the originator of this crap, and this religious mental masturbation is healthy for none.

• doogie
    doogie
    If you compare some of the findings of scientist to the things of the Bible you'll see it was already accounted for and predicted.

name one scientific finding that the bible stated prior to science. (and don't say that the earth was round...)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

For me, the universe and everything in it is a miracle - regardless of the question of whether a God created it or not, regardless of the natural disasters that happen (not the man inflicted bad) - they are part of the miraculous too.

Every single breath you take is a miracle.

Ahh, too deep.....

• upside/down
    upside/down
    this religious mental masturbation is healthy for none.

But like physical masturbation...it can be a "tension" reliever.

u/d(of the hates talking to walls too class)

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    I've had more than 50 yrs to think about it, Jaffa. And I didn't stutter.

Noel, I'm not far behind you!

Some folks seem to see miracles everywhere, much the way JWs and others see 'signs of the last days' oe 'demons' and the like. If we choose to be extremely selective, and have made our minds up about everything, then we will see just what we want, what we believe in and therefore what we expect to see.

This reminds me of non believers who see normal coincidences as psychic powers and the like. It seems to me most of the world is superstitious, but some call it religion.

Hibs - a question:

If some of these wonderful things you describe as miracles happen to wicked people, which they do, do you still call it a miracle, or something else?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here are two familial examples I consider divine intervention.

1. My daughter, about twelve, begged me to buy her some store-bought chocolate milk. I am a cheap single parent AND I was raised by Scots. I figure God made chocolate powder for a reason, and as far as I could tell my daughter could stir. I said no. The next day, a friend in the dairy business asked if I could use a case of chocolate milk. The refrigeration unit had broken down at a 7-11, and he desperately needed to unload the merchandise. The stars in my daughter's eyes, maaan, I will never forget. I was reminded that indulgent love does not spoil.

2. My son, a rebellious twelve, was given an ultimatum. Complete these chores or you are cut off Nintendo. He thumbed his nose at the chores AND my demands that he cough up the Nintendo machine. He was getting to be about the size that I had to think twice about taking him on.... I decided to let it go for the moment. Went to bed. At midnight, my son entered my room and asked in a shaky voice, if I had been in his room? Touched his Nintendo? Was I sure? He finally admitted the power cord had mysteriously been cut. No Nintendo for him. That was the last time he dared me in an ultimatum.

Both times, I felt as if God was at my side, being the father, supporting my family.

Romans 68:5 NIV A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit