Do you believe in miracles?

by hibiscusfire 108 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Whatever surprises me and makes me go wonky at the ankles.

So, miracles are determined by your reaction?

No, miracles are things that can't be explained

Terry - that had me choking with laughter - I thought the wonkly ankles bit was a particularly nice touch!

Doogie - I'm sure its Nic Cage as Captain Corelli. Your girlfriend sounds cool! I am stealing her idea - I just hope I get to use it. I can't see anything making my boyfriend take out the trash or anything else!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

in the traditional definition of the word, no. in the supernatural definition of the word, no.

i don't use the word with regards nature, but i could be used.

the fact that physically, there is anything, instead of nothing, and that it is what it is, is a miracle.

the fact that that this little planet of rock and metal, in our little nothing solar system in a little back water galaxy supports life, even in a simple bacterial form, is a miracle.

the grand story of evolution on this planet, extinctions and all, is a miracle.

our conscious minds, with the ability to reflect on nature, is a miracle.

the fact that i woke up this morning, is a miracle.

however, the explanation that GOD CAUSED ANY OF THIS, is far from miraculous.

TS

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Miracles do happen now.

I'm sure several surgeons and nurses could tell you about patients that were very close to death and were beyond any further medical help.

The surgeons and medical staff involved had done everything in their power and seemingly failed. Then miraculously the patient had recovered. Such incidents when they occur are beyond rational explanation.

How do yo explain that then?

Hib

• doogie
    doogie
    Doogie - I'm sure its Nic Cage as Captain Corelli. Your girlfriend sounds cool! I am stealing her idea - I just hope I get to use it. I can't see anything making my boyfriend take out the trash or anything else!

you callin' me a liar? see? he has the little bad religion symbol on his little hat. if it was nic cage he'd have...umm...i don't know what he'd have on his little hat.

feel free to steal my girlfriend's stuff. if she sees you using it though, she might have to kick your butt. (she pretty strong. i'm terrified of her.)

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

delilah:

I can't say that I do, because the problem I have with "miracles", is, why doesn't God perform miracles ALL the time for EVERYONE????? Why does he answer some pleas for miracles, and not others???? As far as the recent plane crash in T.O., we were discussing this at work, and some also thought it was nothing short of a miracle. My thinking was, it was obvious, that there were circumstances that enabled the people to exit quickly, and that the way the plane crashed, and broke up, and then caught fire, was not due to a miracle, but circumstances.

Can we pray for a Miracle?Yes. But we must remember that God is sovereign. God is not a pawn.

Miracles do happen but they don't happen to everyone, no matter how hard as we may pray. When love-ones die from diseases and accidents even though we love the Lord and pray with all our heart for a miracle, we just have to leave the outcome with the Lord. Sometimes love-ones are cured miraculously and live a full life. Other times they pass away or live very miserable lives. We don't know the answers and reasons why some things happen.

But God's grace and love is sufficient in times of deep pain.

Hibiscusfire

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

No, of course I don't beleive in miracles!

Yeah, a few patients live longer than the doc says, but what about all those other patients who've been given a poor prognosis, their faithful loved ones praying so hard, the entire church praying, and yet the worst still comes. I work in an ICU, and it is rare that any type of "miraculous" type of thing happens. Wow, the patient's heart rhythm came back after a minute of nothing. Oh, but now they're braindead and die two days later. Ya know?

Anyway, it's nice that some do beleive, though, as long as it doesn't hold them back from other things in life.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Miracles - the "Coincidences" Man Doesn't Give God Credit For

God talks to us, but we usually don't listen, or we pass it off as a "coincidence".

"A coincidence is the miracle man does not give God credit for."

Hib

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

We can find miracles every day.

Most seem simple, or insignificant, but nonetheless are miracles.

What about the strong feeling you need to do something or take a certain turn?

And at that time you realize you missed being in an accident or found something you never would have without that "push." That would be a message from God, speaking to you and guiding you. There are also dramatic miracles, life and death miracles - every day there is a miracle somewhere...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    "A coincidence is the miracle man does not give God credit for."

sounds like you want credit for it too, since you believe in god.

TS
  • GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

What if I get plowed over by a transport truck after work today Hib? Is that a miracle?

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit