most embarrasing thing ever at a meeting ...

by alliwannadoislive 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Kat_
    Kat_

Laughter is the best medicine...keep 'em coming

Once at the KH there was an Elder giving a quick 'talk' to the cong. about dress codes; he had noticed that many of the teenaged girls were wearing short skirts. Too short for his liking. So he goes on and ends with "Jesus, these girls just have to bend over to pick up a book and you can see what they had for breakfast!" Now I didn't really get it--still don't quite understand today. But I remember a rush of murmurs throughout the hall and my Mother going nuts with laughter...trying to hide her 'shame' in finding this so funny at the time. The Elders wife? Beet red face and ANGRY. When he went back to his seat I specifically remember her taking a rolled up watchtower and swatting him with it.

This next one is more of an embarrassing thing to me.

My uncle, who was only 5 years older than me, had attended a meeting with us to appease his mom, my gradmother. He never was into the 'truth' and prefered to just let his poor mother think he was. So he just went to that meeting at her request. Now this guy is known in the family for being extremely funny and merciless in his teasing of the KH ways. Well, during the final song I am standing there just singing along and all of the sudden hear this loud, low "mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm" like a chant or meditation sound. I look over and it's my uncle doing this. He has this huge evil grin plastered on his face and just keeps "mmmmm" -ing. It sounded so deep and loud--it seemed to echo, but nobody seemed to be able to tell where it came from. Everyone in the hall is starting to look around wondering if there is something wrong with the sound system. People looking up, down, left, right...trying to locate the source. Meanwhile, good Christian that I am, I am getting so angry at him that I start to try slipping unseen slaps on his arm to get him to shut up. By the time the second verse comes around I am laughing hysterically and quite tempted to join him in the 'chant'. Grandma never knew a thing.

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

kat ...

"Jesus, these girls just have to bend over to pick up a book and you can see what they had for breakfast!"

that is vile ...

it's easy to see how so many pervs can be allowed to exist in the WT cloisters ...

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Robdar - A big welcome to the board! Noticed you were new and just wanted to greet you!

• Kat_
    Kat_

Alli, yes, it was vile...that's why we were so embarassed...such a brother in good standing making such a statement--but he was very elderly so no one bothered him-except his wife.

Kat

• Robdar
    Robdar

Individual's Wife:
    Hey, thanks for the greeting. I've been reading the forum for about 6 months. Finally got up enough nerve to respond. I'm looking forward to a little fun with this. Laughter helps heal the old, deep wounds. It feels good to look back and laugh!

A Guppy Love,
    Robdar

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey robdar - join individuals wife, kat and me in chat sometime - have more 'virtually live' laughs ... nobody can ID you so it's safe - and you'll be with genuine friends who understand the complexities of trying to de-programme yourself ...

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hi Allliwannadoislive,
    Thanks for the invite. I will drop in and chat sometimes. I wish that the internet had been around when I stopped going to the KH. It would have made the transistion so much easier. I'll be looking for you in cyberspace. Thanks again.

A Guppy Love,
    Robdar

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

sheesh ! robdar ... i'm a guy - but i guess a guppy is agape is brotherly love right ?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Yo alliwannadoislive: Yeah, agape is a guppy. It goes back to when I was a kid at the KH. I was 6 years old and I thought the brothers were telling me to love guppies. Even though my dad cleared it up for me, I've never quite recovered from that. Glad you caught my drift. Guess I'll have to change my closing signature--just as soon as I think of a new one.

A Guppy Love,
    Robdar

• more2C
    more2C

Two of the most embarrasing thing I ever witnessed at a meeting was:

1. Remember as a kid how nervous you were at the memorial? (Especially, when it was your turn to pass the wine.) Every year I thought I would end up spilling it! One year, laughingly I almost did, because a toddler kept asking his mom, "Is that fruit punch, Mom?
    I'm so thirsty! Why can't I have some, ppplllease!"

2. Suddenly someone flicked off the light switch by leaning against the wall, during the WT study, an unphazed elderly sister in a loud, booming voice, yells, "Hey, who turned off the lights, I was trying to make a comment, here!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit