The first time I've been "down" b/c of JWD...

by upside/down 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Spook, why can't people debate and discuss without being angry or offensive?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Big Dog,

I can only speak for myself and I am never angry when I debate and I never, ever, ( check my posts ) offend without first being attacked. It is true that I no longer wait for Jehovah to exact my revenge for me and like my enemies served up like rotisserie pigs. People are people Big Dog, and I rue the day when civilized debates take place over the most uncivilized of all trades - that of politics. Then 1984, is truly with us. Power to the people! HS

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Hillary, you'd really laugh at my comments if you knew what I did for a living, and yes I know I was being a bit idealistic with my wishings. I think that too many people confuse passion with anger when they debate. I have seen some very intense passionate debates that were also very civil. I guess I just hate to see people being mauled when I don't think its neccessary, but sounds like I am in the minority so have at it.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Wow....

I just tuned in this morning and 3 pages of replies...that's a shock.

What GREAT replies... I hear you all... and really really appreciate it.

Like Simon said in his comments of the purpose of creating this board...it's not meant to be an end destination...but rather a stepping stone to moving along with our lives....after the bOrg. This purpose I believe has been and is being accomplished.

When you leave the bOrg you have NOTHING... JWD can help fill that void and help one regain "thinking ability"...to start LIVING A LIFE again.

I hope you all didn't think I was "whining"...I really try not too. It's how I felt last night... and not just do to my stupid involvement is some political threads... it seemed to be everywhere I looked.

Anyway.... today is a new day and I thank you all for your kind words and pm's....

u/d (of the used up 10 minutes of my 15 minutes of fame class....darn)

• Carol
    Carol

U/D

As a newbie I always look for threads you have started as they are always interesting and I enjoy your input on other threads......you weren't whining....you were being honest and that is what is soooooo great about these boards.....we can at last be honest!

Thank you for reminding us that as we can't see each others faces as we post, we must temper our comments so they don't seem angry when they're not!

There are 3 page because, I think we all care and don't want to hurt or offend each other, we've all had enough of that in our lives from the dub!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

((((U/D))))

I just happened to find this thread, and I'm sorry you felt so dejected last night. I cried a few times, too, before I hit the sack.

The terrible start to the day, that began with the tragedy in London, and then the rehashing of it throughout the day (complete with the political views) turned more than a few of us into mush by day's end.

I glad you're feeling better about things today!

hugs,

Annie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I've only read the first page, but have to ask, WTF's going on. I've only been away for a day

Personally I usually avoid the political threads, as they have a pretty heavy tone and have had more than their fair share of upset.

HS makes some good points. I have nothing to add, other than, "keep your chin up, and the wind to your back"

• Spook
    Spook

Big dog,

People can debate without being angry. I distinguish being straight and confrontational, not equivocating or dissembling and being political, with being condemnatory. Information that challenges a world view is usually received as oppostion.

Another item to consider from written discourse is that it is really arbitrary to have conceptions about the poster's emotions. The misunderstanding of written tone occurs when readers infer a voice and persona to the dialogue, largely based on a response to information.

And again, there is the real issue to deal with that polite discourse drags on in the world until opportunities for action are lost.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

bigdog, war is offensive, and i have a right to be angry about it with people who support it. u/d, you're a passionate guy. i don't see you as ignorant at all. keep on truckin'.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

U/D,

I really enjoy your posts. My thoughts on why you draw fire though are...

Sometimes it appears that you jump into the fray without first organizing your thoughts. Certain intellectuals, fond of big words, have a go at you because of that.

I've seen people call you a, racist, idiot, moron, and all kinds of rude and vile names and not once have I seen you fail to offer an olive branch in return while holding your ground. It's the holding your ground on your opinions which also contribute to the gunfire. *offers a flack vest*

Why do sickos torment cats rather than dogs? Because the cat puts up more fight, no matter how wounded he gets, than a dog. It is really pathetic the way I have seen people twist your words around on you to mean something different than intended, when it was obvious what you really meant.

You are a good person with a volatile nature. I like you, in spite of your excess of personality. I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, if you recall, my very first post here was in response to you.

Jeannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit