The first time I've been "down" b/c of JWD...

by upside/down 75 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

(((u/d))) What's the rule for civilized conversation? Don't talk religion or politics? LOL We're mostly on the same page with religion here (or at least we've learned to be tolerant so it mostly doesn't get too out of hand...except when folks go off the deep end about the number 5), but politics is a whole 'nother thing.

I'm not advocating not discussing it at all. I think those conversations can be informative and interesting...but maybe we need to exercise a little restraint or at least give folks the benefit of the doubt before mugging them.

Actually, I suppose that's true about any topic on an m/b...when you read something, it's easy to infer a tone that may not be intended and then there's problems. I know there's times when I should have been a bit kinder in my posts.

OT: Congrats on making Jedi, Netty!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hey u/d stop feeling so sad - I can't cope with the competition!

I love reading your input to JWD, I see you as one of the friendlier faces here. I think your posts sometimes actually help to defuse some of the discussions that are getting out of hand. Your presence is MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

I see where you're coming from though, it's really sad for me to say this but I'm learning not only which threads to avoid taking part in but also which posters 'seem' (using that in the loosest terms - possibly me being over sensitive) to just want to antagonise me or pull me down - when I feel as if I'm being 'got at' I just back out. Some would probably say I shouldn't do that but I have trouble dealing with anything that looks remotely like confrontation at this point in my life - maybe later when I'm stronger though...

Hope you feel brighter very soon ((((u/d))))

emo - the saddest in the sad class!

for horrible life - welcome fellow newbie!

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

UD

Yesterday was a shit day.

I spent toooooo much time in the bar last night!!!!

I have all your woes in my skull between my eyes right now. So come on back, JWD land is a happy place for you.

I'm going to carry all this nastiness of yesterday and tell God about them on the great white telephone.

steve (of the - you to good a person to allow shits to make you upset class)

• Mary
    Mary

Hey u/d I still love ya!

Yes some of the discussions can get heated on this board but I think it's a great place to be!!

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Yeah, political threads can get really ugly. I mostly stay out of them. As far as I can tell from the politics threads on this discussion forum, it seems to me like political beliefs are mostly the same as religious beliefs. They are just beliefs. Sometimes these beliefs can be backed up with a news article or some statistical information, but still when it comes to politics how much can you really trust what has been written? Like religious beliefs, you can find something written out there to back up what you want to believe. And then, like religious beliefs, you can get vicious about it.

There's nothing wrong with having strong political beliefs, but on a discussion forum for a specific group of people unrelated to political beliefs, it's probably not a great idea. I say, go out there and find a discussion forum for people with your political beliefs and post your ideas there. You'd probably learn a lot more than you would here. Here, anybody can feel like an expert, but you know if they went to a forum that was really only about politics, they would feel like a flunky.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

U/D There is always going to be the super educated, informed, self righteous know it all.

Just like in kinder garden and the 12 th grade.

If you feel insulted, throw in some humor and " lightly " insult them back and then walk away.

Then tomorrow forget about it and enjoy being on this forum.

Life is too short to let ourselves suffer at the hands of another.

Don't take anything here too seriously.

By the way I like your humor and approach to things.

Outoftheorg

• Spook
    Spook

I do feel for you U/D, and I take responsibility for what ways I am involved in that. There is a contradiction to deal with in life in that it seems that some people believe that things can be salvaged without anyone getting their feelings hurt. I'd like to see major change without major violence, but even that sadly seems unlikely. Certainly much conflict of at least ideas lies in humanities near future.

Now, this board could be a place where those issues are not brought, but an interesting note is that societies tend to start filling with things like that to avoid having to deal with reality. Don't bring issues to work, don't bring issues to church, don't bring issues to social events, discussions, etc. And society gets more distanced from what's going on, until everyone besides the existing power structure is disempowered by only having a very small group of like-minded and isolated people involved in the discussion.

There is no thread that we are forced to participate in. What is it that brings people to seek out being angered and offended?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

U/D,

Thank you for your honest post. Personally, I think it is the best post that you have made on this Board to date. Look back on this Board from ten years ahead, this always puts a more real perspective on it.

Condescendingly yours - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Spook,

Now, this board could be a place where those issues are not brought, but an interesting note is that societies tend to start filling with things like that to avoid having to deal with reality. Don't bring issues to work, don't bring issues to church, don't bring issues to social events, discussions, etc. And society gets more distanced from what's going on, until everyone besides the existing power structure is disempowered by only having a very small group of like-minded and isolated people involved in the discussion.

What a very astute observation, and an excellent post.

HS

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

UD--I always enjoy your posts, sorry you feel down but tomorrow is another day! I love my country also, no president is perfect but living in the USA is where I'm proud to be!

I stay away from certain topics and sometimes certain posters. If I know something or someone is eventually going to piss me off then I stay off those threads. I had a couple threads that upset me because of the way people responded to me--so I abandoned the threads for my own peace of mind.

Hope you feel better soon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit