Explosions London Buses & Trains

by Crumpet 171 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Does anyone know anything about this? I can';t get through to any of my friends at Liverpool Street including my ex. Am really worried!

Login or register | Free e-mail services | Make us your homepage

Search For

Thursday 7 July 2005

telegraph.co.uk
    News home
    Breaking news
    Business news
    Crossword Society
    Factfiles
    Law reports
    Matt cartoon

Obituaries
    Opinion
    Picture galleries
    Text alerts
    Weather
    Week at a glance
    Your view

About us
    Contact us

'Walking wounded' after blast on Underground
    (Filed: 07/07/2005)

All London underground services have been shut down after multiple blasts on the Metropolitan Line which have caused an unknown number of injuries.

Several stations have been closed after the blasts between Liverpool Street and Aldgate which happened during rush hour.

Explosions, have occurred at Aldgate East, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Moorgate, and Russell Square, Scotland Yard said.

Tube staff turn commuters away

There are "walking wounded" and paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"There are walking wounded, but that is as much as we know at the moment," said a British Transport Police spokesman.

Union sources later said they had received reports of explosions on three buses in central London.

One witness who was on a train at Aldgate told Sky News: "People were screaming, we could not get out.

"There was so much dust, people were choking. I thought I was going to die of dust inhalation.

"One woman told us to get down. We got out of one of the doors that had busted open. There were bodies and pieces of train everywhere.

"There was a huge hole on the side of the carriage."

Sky producer, Bob Mills who was at Russell Square, said an explosion "definitely happened above ground".

He described the top of a bus being "completely destroyed".

"There must be some considerable injuries," he added.

It is not clear what the cause of the blasts were.

BTP initially blamed power surges, but the National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, later said there had been no problems with its system this morning which could have contributed to the incidents.

Union officials said their sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground.

They said they had been given the information by at least one senior Tube manager.

The incidents come a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and on the day the G8 summit begins in Gleneagles.

A Metronet spokesman said: "It looks as if we have a major incident. The whole system is being shut down."

King's Cross, Liverpool Street and Aldgate stations have been cleared.

Mainline train company First Great Western said its services into London's Paddington station were terminating at Reading in Berkshire because of the Underground crisis.

More follows...

Next story: Nail-biting tension of the vote ends in triumph and delight

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005. Terms & Conditions of reading.
    Commercial information. Privacy and Cookie Policy.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Hi Crumpet,

Yes, it's all over the news (radio&tv, I'm at home today). I hope you hear from your friends soon, but the mobile and terrestrial telephone network is probably overloaded, so they're probably ok but you just won't be able to get through to them for a while. Try not to panic matey.

ig.

• Simon
    Simon

Local mobile cells are probably overloaded so keep trying.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thank God - they are both okay and in their office at Liverpool Street, but its a real mess outside. Bodies and stuff.

I'm so upset.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

This is obviously terrorists but who?

I wish I could go home. I work in one of the Home Office buildings, although well outside London, but an easy target.

Sirens here going mad though outside. Its really scary.

• Simon
    Simon

Looks like the mobile phone network may have been switched off in case mobile phones were being used to set-off bombs.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

I'm glad your friends are alright Crumpy, that's good to hear. Hopefully things will settle down, but it must be worrying at the moment when things are still confused as to what's going on.

Stay sane buddy,

ig.

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

Hi Crumpet

Glad you are OK. Our thoughts are with you and all in London at this time.

I've just been watching some of feed from Sky. What is obvious so far is just how damn civilized the Londoners are - real class.

God I hate terrorists.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

They are evacuating everything oustide my office - all the trams. all the buses. the main road is closed off and police cars blocking all road traffic.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

We've all been told to draw our blinds to protect from the glass if there are any further explosions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit