What does your name MEAN?

by RichieRich 170 Replies latest jw friends

• kazar
    kazar

Kazar means gypsy or nomad. It comes from a book called the "Dictionary of the Khazars." You will note that I have left out the "h". Somehow when I first logged onto the forum I couldn't get it right, but the meaning is the same. The Khazars were a tribe of nomadic peoples who were called upon to participate in the great polemic (debate) with Muslims, Jews and Christions as to which was the true religion of the three groups.

My real name is Mary but I don't know what it means.

• z
    z

MARY
    Usage: English, Biblical
    Pronounced: MER-ee [key]
    Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Websites, Comments
    Options: Contribute Information, Add to List
    Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Mariam or Maria (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name Miriam. The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love". This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Two queens of England have had this name, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Very interesting, the name carries so much good to it.

• talesin
    talesin
    ZED but for our friend down its ZEE

good answer!

t

• horrible life
    horrible life

Do I have to explain.

• kazar
    kazar

Thank you Frankie and Z. Thank you for all that information Z. Now I remember....JW's said I was "rebellious." However, I attended Catholic School before the borg got me, and I had forgotten that the nuns said I had a beautiful name because my patron saint was Mary (mother of God). It's coming back to me now.

Thanks. This is a great thread and I enjoyed reading everyone's post. It demonstrates how all on this forum have very imaginative minds, now that we're out of JW's.

• econaut
    econaut

An episode of Futurama was especially meaningful/humorous to me. Here are the portions of it that I have taken my handle and avatar from:

3.9: The Birdbot Of Ice-Catraz
    Original Airdate: 4th March 2001

Scene: Planet Express: Lounge. Fry and Bender sit on the couch while Leela perches on the end of it. Fry tears open a pack of Styro-Pak Cookies.]

Leela: Fry, I know those cookies are fresh-a-licious but they produce an awful lot of trash.

[Fry takes out a small pack marked "Top," opens it, takes something out and puts it in a weird looking machine. He throws the packet on a pile of other packets. He rips open a pack marked "Bottom" and puts it in the other side of the machine. He rips open a pack marked "Middle," puts it in the middle of the machine and pulls a lever on the machine. The machine compresses the cookie sections and makes a cream filled cookie. He pulls it apart a licks out the cream from the middle. Bender sprays his antenna with something and slicks it back.]

Bender: Ah!

Leela: And Bender, that aerosol head spray makes your head smell nice...

Bender: Thank you.

Leela: ...but it's doing long-term damage to the planet.

Bender: So? It's not like it's the only one we've got!

[Enter Farnsworth.]

Farnsworth: Good news everyone! I'm sending you on an extremely controversial mission!

Fry: Controversial?

Farnsworth: Oh my no.

[Scene: Planet Express: Meeting Room. The lights are dimmed and there is a hologram in the middle of the table of the Planet Express ship docking with a tanker.]

Farnsworth: For this highly controversial mission, you'll be towing the Juan Valdez, an orbitting supertanker full of rich Columbian dark matter.

Leela: Dark matter oil? What if we hit something? The tanker could leak!

Farnsworth: Impossible! [He presses a button and an enlarged holographic cross-section of the tanker appears.] The tanker has 6000 hulls. So, unlike me, it's entirely leak-proof! [He points at a new hologram with the fing-longer.] Now, once you've hauled the tanker past the protestors -

Leela: Protestors?

Farnsworth: Correct. 6000 hulls.

Leela: Why do we have to fly within three feet of this penguin preserve on Pluto?

Farnsworth: (whispering) To avoid the tollbooth.

[Scene: Planet Express: Hangar. Leela is wearing her green jacket and Farnsworth points at something on the ship to Bender. Fry walks down the steps with an empty trolley.]

Fry: Alright, she's all restocked with emergency jam. Let's get going.

Leela: At the risk of sounding negative: No! Look Professor, I can't participate in this mission.

Farnsworth: What are you yapping about?

Leela: This time it's your reckless disregard for the environment. In fact, I'm gonna go join those protestors. ......................................

[Scene: A convoy of protestors in ship's fly towards the Juan Valdez which is orbitting Earth. They tow banners such as "Save The Crested Spinepecker" and "Think Intergalactically, Act Interplanetarily." A Green Party ship full of Kif's people fly by and a larger ship belonging to Penguins Unlimited flies by.]

[Cut to: Penguins Unlimited Ship. A huge crowd of protestors are gathered on the deck. Preparing for a speech is Free Waterfall Sr, father of Free Waterfall Jr who led the campaign against eating Popplers in The Problem With Popplers.]

Waterfall Sr: Greetings Econauts. I'm Free Waterfall Sr, founder of Penguins Unlimited. [The crowd applauds.] Whoa! No, no! No applause. Every time you clap your hands you kill thousands of spores that'll some day form a nutritious fungus. Just show your approval with a mould-friendly thumbs up! [The crowd thumbs-ups.] Please hold your thumbs until the end. Now folks, its time to stop that tanker with a non-violent human circle. ..........................................

And here is where my avatar comes from (same episode):

[Scene: Pluto Surface. The protestors hold up signs such as "Give A Hooto Don't Pollute Pluto!", "Preserve Our Useless Wasteland" and "Free Chilly Willy."]

Protestor #3: Here they come, oh I hope they read my sign!

[He holds up the sign that reads "Go Away Tanker!" The ship and tanker fly over the planet surface upside-down.]

Leela: Bender's flying too low! And he's upside-down!

Protestor #3: He must be talking on a cell phone!

[The tanker hits an iceberg and it scrapes a huge hole along the hull releasing a torrent of dark matter oil.] .............

So just call me a moderate tree hugger ....econaut

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Kwin

My first name is Kwin, and my last name is Testal. My parents were on crack.

Kwin

Now that is a bit humourous. I had wondered a bit what your name meant. There it was in front of my face. Kind of the song in Spanish Juan Tadameda. I sung it for all of my life as one tadameda and wondered what it means. Come to find out it is his name. The song goes,,Juan tadameda, for he is Juan tadameda.. Duh huh?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

This is one of the best threads I've read.

Mine is pretty self explanitary.

My name's steve and I live in New York City (brooklyn to be more exact)

steve

• willyloman
    willyloman

This fascinating thread has turned into a roll call, so I thought I'd better sign in:

Willy Loman is the lead character in the classic play by Arthur Miller (who was once married to Marilyn Monroe): "Death of a Salesman."

Willy is a salesman past his prime who won't admit the world is changing and continues to make his routine sales calls even though people aren't buying his product anymore. It describes my awakening as a long-time dub elder who came to realize the product I was trained to sell was worthless to the masses and in fact harmful, which explained my disquieting doubts and unsettled conscience.

From there, it was a slow, painful journey to the light. But I made it and took the whole family with me. We are free now and leading happy, productive lives. To get here, I had to "die" as regards my former life. That fear of "dying" is the hardest part. Once you get past that, believe me, there is a new and better life on the other side.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit