First Post

by 5thGeneration 75 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

5th , some come on kinda strong but really once you get to know them they are usually kidding around and i know Evil is .

I am always ready with monkey poo so if ya need me to flig a few just ask

• IT Support
    IT Support

5G,

Some things confuse me here.

Perhaps because this is a very open forum, and once people leave 'the truth' they explore an enormously wide spectrum of new beliefs. Some you may agree with, others less so!

I am in the same position as many where I don't agree with so much the Society says and feel stuck dragging myself to the meetings

I think a lot of us here have been in that same position. We had to get OUT as quickly as possible. The only restraint was the efeect it would have on family and friends, so instead of being able to just say 'I'm off,' we had to work out a way to leave but causing minimal disruption.

and then feel incredible guilt because the study for the day says it is wrong to have any doubts "even in private". Impossible for me!

The Society are masters of manipulation in guilt. There are a thousand-and-one things they'll make you feel guilty for. Since they're an international bookselling corporation in the guise of an apostate Christian religion, there's no genuine love and so guilt is the only lever they have to control their members.

How do many of you personally blaspheme Jehovah?

I guess the blasphemy is optional! If you still believe in God (as I did when I left, but don't now), your actions will still be dictated by how you believe He wants you to act. But one of the hardest things when exiting the WT is learning to genuinely respect others' beliefs and not to be critical of them. As JWs, it was drummed into us that only we had 'the Truth,' only we followed God's laws properly, only we had a proper understanding of the Bible and everyone else is wrong, worldly, wicked, soon to be exterminated at Armageddon. That does tend to produce a rather self-righteous attitude in JWs!

I want to leave the Society

Well done! You've taken the first steps to freedom...

but I still believe in Jehovah, and also that doctrinally we are still the closest to the truth in my mind.

.. but you still have a lot of study and research ahead of you!

Welcome, stick around and you'll learn a lot.

As a matter of interest, what caused you to start questioning the Society?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

ah hm...this is not a "JW board" my dear. And don't let any man made organisation tell you it's not right to have doubt. Doubt means your mind is working. Doubt means you're sane.

If I was you 5th I stay a bit and read some more.

Enjoy!

Josie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi 5thGen. and welcome.

In monotheism any theological discussion tends to have blasphemous overtones -- if taken (too?) seriously. If there is one God any definition of Him denies other definitions.

When JWs say that the triune God of Christendom is not the God of the Bible it is certainly blasphemous to many sincere believers.

When I left the JWs I would think that the God (or Father) of Jesus-Christ is not the judgemental, bloodthirsty Jehovah of the WT. This was a believer's standpoint yet this would have sounded blasphemous to sincere JWs.

Give yourself time to think it over. To me the honest diversity on this site is a very healthy thing, as compared to the fake unity of JWs.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey there, 5th, welcome to the board!

How do many of you personally blaspheme Jehovah? I want to leave the Society but I still believe in Jehovah, and also that doctrinally we are still the closest to the truth in my mind.

Most people here, even if they continue to believe in God, do not believe in the Watchtower depiction of him. To such people, the name "Jehovah" represents not the Creator of the universe, but simply the fictitious creation of the guys in New York, or some 11th century BCE sheep herders, as the case may be.

Personally, I don't believe in God at all, so I suppose sometimes I may say something that causes offense, although I try not to. I don't categorically deny God's existence, but I feel that there is no compelling evidence for it. That is typically how I phrase my own personal stand on the issue, which I think respects others' views.

As IT Support pointed out, JWs are raised to be downright scornful of other belief systems, so it can be tough to overcome that. I hope you'll take it with a grain of salt if anyone comes across as gruff, because there really is a lot to learn here and lot of great people.

Hope to see you around!

SNG

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Sorry if somehow I offended you. Twas not my intent. You asked questions. I simply answered how some on this board felt. And you are on an EX-JW board. And all walks of life and religious beliefs are welcome here. Again I apologize. You may state your beliefs and opinions here just as much as the next person. But that doesn't mean what you say won't be questioned or challenged. Again Welcome !!!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    By blashemous I meant comments like "Lets all kick Jehovah's ass", stuff like that.

Also, if you actually did observe anyone write something such as that, I think it must surely have been a fluke, because it simply doesn't make sense given the context that most here do not (as I mentioned) believe in Jehovah as such. It would be like writing, "Let's all kick the Tooth Fairy's ass!" It just doesn't make sense. No one would write that, except as some kind of weird joke.

Anyway, hope that helps.

SNG

• Odrade
    Odrade
    "Let's all kick the Tooth Fairy's ass!"

Dyin*!!! omg. too funny.

• luna2
    luna2

Hi, 5thG...Welcome to the board!

It all takes a bit of getting used to, but this is a really cool place. I've come to enjoy the diversity of ideas, beliefs, and opinions. This board can be enjoyable, enlightening, puzzling, educational, silly, sometimes even annoying or uncomfortable...but always interesting. If there's something that doesn't sit well, you can either choose to weigh-in on the discussion or ignore it.

Hope you'll hang around.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome 5th.

I commend your desire to remain faithful to God; however, have you ever harbored suspicions that a finite, anthropomorphic, desert-tribe deity, can not possibly be responsible for an infinite universe?

Have you ever felt that if there is a God, it is far more likely that the universe exists within It, rather than It, existing within the universe?

Could it be that honoring a shard of existence, a fragment: Jehovah, a limited man-like deity, is "blasphemy" to our true and unlimited Source and Sustenance?

Have you ever looked outside the box? Ever tried to grasp what the words "Alpha and Omega", must be pointing to?

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit