Guns: Opinions?

by RichieRich 138 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    a bit Wild Wild West no?

Sure- but whats changed since the wild wild west? Corruption, crime, horses- its all still here and theres only more of it. And a small pistol doesn't get in theway... so why not?

And I wasn't makin a crack at gay people- I just trying to put it into perspective for ya.

• Pole
    Pole

While the efficiency of using guns for personal protection is a debatable issue (I think I'd like to have one), I find it difficult to understand the argument that some US folks make about their government respecting them more because they have guns. This may have been true 200 years ago when a bunch of trappers with rifles cou;d have been considered a danger.

But imagine a situation in which Americans have to rebel against their own government and their own army. (Am I getting this argument right?) How much of a chance would they have with their hand guns and rifles? I'd say with a Euro-style oppressive government :-), they'd be much more vulnerable than Iraqi "insurgents".

US law on guns are none of my business, although it may be as I'm going to the US for a few days at the beginning of July. Hopefully not. ;-)

Pole

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Come on guys, play honest now. This has nothing to do with the defence of liberty by threat of the armed malitia against your own government. It's about playing Rambo against the bunnies.

steve

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

For the record- I'm satisfied / not messing with the government.

I just like my guns... I'm worried about JW gun oppression that government gun oppression...

• Heatmiser
  • EvilForce
    EvilForce

Richie....I'm not against guns...I've owned several myself over the years. Having said that....

Your defending yourself argument may be valid but then you must admit that the right to bear arms is worth it to you for 29,523 deaths per year from gun death. (2001 figures) So be honest with yourself and just say "Yup, that's the human price we pay".

In addition you should spend a couple of weeks in the Winston-Salem Hospital and watch the carnage that comes in from gun violence that DOESN'T end in death....but still injures and maims folks.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

well since you asked for opinions...heres mine

whatever the reason you have for justifying owning one..self defense...hunting...sport..whatever

guns are not nice

some of you gun owners refer to them like they are a treasured member of the family

they are not...they are a highly dangerous and effective killing machine

and no matter how mature and/or responsible you are if you love something you will look for reasons to use it

my opinion

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Richie, I respect and applaud your mom for arming herself.

Hopefully she's properly licensed and educated in safety and marksmanship. And make sure she only uses hollow-points. And get her a .45 for crying out loud! They make bigger holes!

Mike.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Pole,

I assume you do not live in the Southern United States of America. Our government is afraid of its armed citizenry everywhere except in big cities, and deservedly so. A few people I know do not own pea shooters and have several properties purchased around the country for the sole purpose of sheltering munitions. If I know some like that, and I'm a nobody, my government must be fully aware of many more citizens who are plenty capable fo disabling tanks, taking over military installations, foraging, etc.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I do appreciate the opinions. As I strive to be OPEN-MINDED, i will read what anyone has to say. Gun crime is a shame, and a lot of it is due to ignorance. Like someone mentioned, knowing to point the muzzle in a safe direction and check the chamber would save many lives a year.

As far as guns in criminals hands, those figures don't represent law abiding citizens honestly.

And momma does carry a .45. Its a Springfield Armory custom 1911. She's got night sights, extended safety, extended slide release, extended mag release, and a mag-well. I personally don't like mag-wells as they look ugly... But she feels comfortable with it because it allows her to reload without taking her eyes off the target.

And as far as the bullet selection goes, her clips are stagger loaded for defense. One Hydra Shok JHP followed by a hot FMJ. There's quite some controversy about leather jackets stopping or impeding JHPs, hence the FMJs.

And I do love my guns, as does the majority of my family. And we do look for oppurtunities to use them. Thats why we hunt and target practice as much as possible.

Thanks for the input and keep it comin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit