Guns: Opinions?

by RichieRich 138 Replies latest jw friends

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

IronGland, I feel the same way about carrying a gun. If every responsible adult carried a gun, the thugs would think twice about pulling one on you.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

It's interesting to note that Christ did not discourage the use of swords, but, in fact encouraged, carrying one (Luke 22:36). What he objected to was the violent use against a person.

I don't see any point in owning a gun. I'm not a coward.

Of course, I live in the city. People in the country like to use guns to kill animals for game or for food. Not much point in killing for game, I mean, that's what kings back in the day used to due. It was considered excessive back then, but now its relatively normal, at least in frontier areas.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

SO heckler- is that 9mm the standard Beretta 92F or did you go with a Glock 17? Is it something else?

As far as your CCW permit goes- my dad has his and alternates carry of a Beretta 9000 in .40 , a Para Warthog in .45 ACP and a NAA mini in .22 mag...

• Buster
    Buster

Self Defense: I think it is mostly overblown. I don't picture people walking around with their hand ready to draaw a weapon on someone that came up to them to ask for some spare change. (And I don't envision potential attackers announcing themselves in time to allow their prey to dig out a pistol.)

Children: Familiarity reduces curiosity. As soon as they are old enough to understand, they should be taught how to pick one up, check the safety, check to see if it is loaded. They should also learn to shoot them. That is much better than pretending that the kids will never get a hand on them. I got my .22 rifle at 7.

Mine: Mostly high-end competition skeet guns - built especially for breaking clay.

NRA: If there wasn't such a strong anit-gun lobby, they wouldn't need to such a strong pro stance.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    high-end competition skeet guns

A friend of mine's father has got a beautiful over/under 12 gauge. He goes and shoots clay at least once a week.

All hell breaks loose when he goes dove hunting- I can't remember one day when he wasn't the first to get his limit.

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

RR,

I agree that their "trust in Jehovah" model of self defense is retarded, and I never believed it even while a loyal dub.

Now, I regularly carry a small KelTec .380, with star hollowpoint rounds and an extra clip, its so small it fits in my back pocket. In the almost two years I've carried it (everywhere, by the way) no one has ever found it, even when being patted down to enter special places. Its the psychology of it, no one thinks about a gun in your back pocket, so they never pat me down on the butt, but just hit the small of my back.

I started carrying when I was Project Manager of a renovation project where we were gutting and remodeling every unit in a huge HUD/Section 8 housing complex. It had gotten around to some of the tenants (not your average upstanding folks, by the way) that I brought the paychecks, and carried lots of cash to pay employees. While this was not true, it was the word going around, and since I regularly stayed past dark to inspect units (alone usually), I didn't want to find myself in the back of a half-renovated apartment, with only my flashlight, and half a dozen home boys corner me to "borrow" my cash.

And as far as the children go (I have two boys, 10 and 12), I have taken them to the range and trained them in the proper and safe use of firearms, so we don't have a problem with a gun being around the house.

Brandon

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

(And I don't envision potential attackers announcing themselves in time to allow their prey to dig out a pistol.) Buster, If the thugs knew that a very high percentage of people were carrying, he might just think a little more before pulling his. At present I would estimate that the majority of gun carriers are the thugs. :)

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi RichieRich,

For years the Watchtower Society has been pretty much anti-gun. A lot of it has to do with their headquarters being centered in New York as the most influential writers/leaders have been insulated from the rest of the rural U.S. in their cushy big city compound. Fred Franz was very anti-gun as I recall despite the fact that the Bible clearly states that the Apostles carried swords as active members of Christ's inner circle and at one point were even commanded to carry swords with them in their ministry work (I can't remember the scriptures but know they are there). This irrational fear of weapons goes along with their equally unscriptural pacifism. No where are soldiers commanded to leave their military units in the Bible as a condition for becoming Christians. As I recall one Roman soldier was even baptised on the spot by the Apostles with no mention of him needing to change his profession, or recieveing a timed Bible study and prewritten baptismal questions for that matter.

When Freddie's influence was strong the Society even bad-mouthed hunting by always tying it in with the evil Nimrod and asking if we really needed such a suspect and time-wasting hobby when there was field ministry to be done. Once again the unscriptural opinions of a few men running the show from New York shapes what J-Dubs must do just like no facial hair or wearing a tie even though none of these points were important enough to be mentioned by the Bible writers.

As to my own opinion, weapons in civilian hands are our last defense against the loss of freedom by the ever power hungry monster of government. Governments who are directly answerable to the deadly force wealded by their free citizens think more carefully before taking drastic actions than do governments which control unarmed subjects. If I am trusted enough to vote so then I should be trusted with weapons. The people need "the teeth of liberty" to protect themselves from government and any goverment which demands it be protected from an armed population through so-called "gun control" obviously does not have the people's best interests at heart. Only brute force can hold back the beast of government. Governments have always been the world's most prolific mass murderers so only a fool would lay down their arms and trust their naked and unprotected lives to these time proven monsters.

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

Liberty,

Hey, man, don't beat around the bush, tell us what you really think!

Just kiddin', I actually agree 100%!

Brandon

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yeah, Liberty cause a 9 mm Baretta is so effective against a tank.....puleeeeze!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit