Guns: Opinions?

by RichieRich 138 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

My mom isnt a big fan of guns, but after being mugged once, she appreciates the value of a well placed firearm. She doesn't mind that I hunt and go to the shooting range regularly with my father.

About 6 months ago, I was out in field service with my mother and an Elder's 2 daughters. My other asked me to get something out of the glovebox, and when I opened it, I had to move my mother's pistol to get what she wanted. One of the girls said "is that a GUN?" to which I answered yes. She didn't mention it again.

At the next meeting, the brothers asked to meet with me and my mother. They asked mom if she had a gun in her car, to which she replied yes, and asked her what it was for. She gave the obvious answer. Then the brothers told her she wasn't in trouble, they were just "counseling" her. They encouraged her to read the following from a bound volume in the library.

w84 3/1 p. 13 Declining to ‘Live by the Sword’—A Protection ***

Christians today likewise abstain from trusting in weapons such as guns and knives—even during these dangerous, "critical times hard to deal with." (2 Timothy 3:1) They take seriously the Bible’s command to ‘beat swords into plowshares,’ and they do not seek to harm their fellowman. (Isaiah 2:4) Because they do not carry weapons for purposes of self-defense, instead of resorting to violence they are more inclined to try to reason with people who would do them harm. "If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men," is the counsel they follow.

Trying to be a good little Dub, she removed the gun that night.

Flashforward to yesterday.

I had my dad's rifle in my trunk, and was en route to the gun store to consult my gunsmith. I had to stop at an Elder's house to return a dish they had brought food in to my house. The elder was home, and came out to the car before I could close the trunk.

He caught sight of the rifle and told me that guns were only good for killing people... etc. (I've never shot a person- but I seem to have found a lot of uses other than that).

That's my rambling-- you guys got anything to say?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well I think everyone is different.

I don't have one knowing that it could possibly get in my children's hands. However, I don't need one. Where I live I feel pretty safe.

My grandmother got mugged in her front yard and at a store. My grandfather was shot in the stomach just walking his dog.

Some of family hunt so they carry guns.

I think if you feel safe having one they you should have one. Just be safe with it.

I know a girl who was shot in the face and killed by a gun at a party.

Brooke

• rick1199
    rick1199

Who else can get to your guns ?

I dont have a problem with guns in general, but if children have free access to them then its a problem, although I doubt thats a problem in your case.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I think everyone should own one.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I got so worked up I forgot to mention how ludicrus that article is. Basically it says we should 100 percent of our trust in God, because he will defend us. To that I say- where was he when mom was mugged?

Sorry I jumped offf track..

Edited to say: These guns are never in the hands of children. While legally a "child", I know proper gun safety and always employ it when handling guns.

• Chia
    Chia

I have thought about obtaining a gun, but I would have to learn how to shoot one. I agree that they shouldn't be around children, and as long as you know how to use it properly, I don't see what the problem is. I'm sure a lot of the problems come when inexperienced people try to start shooting. But I'm no expert, I realize that.

Where I live though, it wouldn't even be a question, if the elders caught me with a gun, no privileges for me. I mean I don't have any privileges anyway, but I'm just saying that the closer you are to Bethel, the more strict they get. They would definitely talk to you right away and tell you that if you didn't get rid of the gun, you'd lose your privileges.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Chia- I've heard gun laws in NY are rediculous... And I'm sure we'll find time to visit the range while you're here.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Carry a samurai sword instead. Less likely to injure bystanders. Also, attackers will avoid a person carrying a sword, because 'why is that dude carrying a sword'.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I've got a loaded 9mm in the beside stand. My wife and I both know how to use it and will if we have to. We live in a rural area and even if we called the police if someone was trying to bread in, it would take them a half an hour to get to our house. I have a concealed weapons permit but don't carry it much. You have to remember it's not the guns killing people, it the person pulling the trigger.

I've never understood the societies rule of not owning a pistol. Who else is going to protect my family from some nut case if not me. Certainly not a bunch of window washers.

I love the saying - "Gun Control" is hitting your target.

• Chia
    Chia

Sounds good. I've never even touched a gun...actually I've never even seen one up close at all. Only on TV. Boy, I'm sheltered,huh?

I used to work the evening shift a few years ago(3-midnight--it was supposed to be good for pioneering ). I was still in my teens. The company I worked for was in a bad spot in my hometown, and I was the only one who left at midnight. Often I would be in the parking lot by myself. It was fairly dark. I thought nothing of this until one night I decided to go to "dinner." I came back, around 8:30, and went inside to work. A few minutes later, someone came in and told me that my car had been broken into. I rushed outside, and sure enough, yup. It scared all of us because someone was obviously watching me and knew that I had just gone inside and I wouldn't be any trouble. What if they had worse intentions? I shudder to think. There was supposed to be a security guard there, but he was nowhere to be found. From then on we left work in groups.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit