Guns: Opinions?

by RichieRich 138 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

EF,

Yes, my sister in Eugene is the Head Nurse in charge of the Triage unit at a hospital there. She has told me horror stories. The most heartbreaking stories involving children and how they got a hold of their parents guns; found them under mommy's pillow, in the nightstand, etc. It makes me sick to think of the suffering plain stupidity causes these kids. Other stories about teens and even younger taking dads pistol to school to teach someone (usually a bully in her experience) a lesson. Don't understand why people with guns don't keep the suckers locked up!! And I don't mean in a glass cabinet in the livingroom, I mean in a real gunsafe if there is anyone besides them with access to the house.

I had guns for years, ended up selling them to pay for the birth of my 17 year old (no insurance, long story). I used the shotguns to hunt with and shoot skeet. The semi-automatic rifles and the pistols were purely for target practice. I paid a trainer to teach me to shoot and handle my weapons safely and *never* used them around my minor kids. The ammo and the guns were in a fire proof reinforced steel gun safe which was bolted to the studs on two sides and the floor joists beneath. My shooting partner used to call it "The Bunker" and laughed at me but I was totally paranoid about something of mine getting into the wrong hands and took extreme precautions with them.

The way in which our 'Boys in Blue' are out gunned on the street, though, is another issue which is very disturbing. The "Boys" get a pistol and a shotgun, and the bad guys get armor piercing full-auto weapons that would scare off an alien invasion! That is so screwed up.

If the current laws were enforced it would help, but they are not. Perhaps writing new ones will help, perhaps not. Bottom line is that as long as there is money in weaponry it will be made and sold to anyone with the money to buy it. Sadly there are a lot of really stupid people with a lot of money.

J

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

OMG!!

ended up selling them to pay for the birth of my 17 year old

You gave birth to a 17 year old????

The way in which our 'Boys in Blue' are out gunned on the street, though, is another issue which is very disturbing. The "Boys" get a pistol and a shotgun, and the bad guys get armor piercing full-auto weapons that would scare off an alien invasion! That is so screwed up.

I so TOTALLY agree. The inequality there in firepower is stupid!!! I don't understand why the government, at every level, doesn't do something about this. It's even worse here in the rural parts of Alabama, where a typical county sherrif might be carrying a six shot revolver and a shotgun in the trunk, while the trailer trash meth lab boys have semi-auto pistols and an AK-47. Just doesn't make sense.

BTW, that's another reason I believe in myself and my family being armed. If there ever is a problem, the police, who might not have the firepower to protect us anyway, are 15 to 20 minutes away if trouble starts.

A side thought here - I really appreciate everyone's candor in this discussion. I have seen this issue, plus a zillion other political issues discussed on this JWD board turn into flame wars, with people getting deleted and threats being fired back and forth. I think it is really great that everyone in this discussion has show respect for everyone else's comments, and the discussion has been interesting and fun, even though we disagree to varying degrees. Kudo's to everyone on this thread!!!

Brandon

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    and the bad guys get armor piercing full-auto weapons

Now now... here we go with the hyperbole. "Armor piercing" is a type of bullet. It's availible to anybody, you can buy Black Tip (armor piercing) ammo at any decent gun shop or walmart...

Now full auto weapons are different. To obtain them, you must not only fill the standard requirements, you must have Class III priviledges. Many counties (its up to the Sherriff) decide against it... But if they do, they inspect your storage conditions as well as slap an annual tax of about 1500 bucks on top of the price of the gun...

So Jeannie, What was your favorite gun to shoot?

ANd Brandon- amen on the comment about this thread- everyone has been civilized, open minded, and refuted their positions well...

Thanks guys!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    So Jeannie, What was your favorite gun to shoot?

Ruger 12ga Red Label Over and Under shotgun with a 28" barrel. Very accurate and did not have as much kick as my Beretta Side By Side so did not make my shoulder as sore after a day's use. However, I think that the Beretta may have been a bit lighter...

J

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Gun ownership is sometimes argued on the basis of rights or freedoms... if there's a correlation between general freedom, freedom to own a gun, and the number of people killed by guns... then we should see the most free countries on earth having the highest gun death rates... Let's pick an arbitary 5 deaths per 100,000 as a stick in the mud...

Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994:

>5 deaths per 100,000

United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15;

<5 deaths per 100,000

Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.

I suppose each person's milage may vary, but having been to over half the countries on the list I reckon the average level of civil freedom is at least as great or greater in the second group of countries than in the first group.

Personaly, I don't think civil liberty/freedom is a good argument in favor of widespread, loosley controlled gun ownership. In the US it's probably more a historic thing that's hard to change. That's about as far as the argument can go.

Cheers, Max - a gun lover who shoots regularly with a licenced, safely stored target firearm in a country in the second list

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Wow Jeannie!

You like expensive guns!

Those Red Labels are nice- 28 in is a lot of barrel to throw around for a lady aint it? Was the barrel ported? That makes recoil way lighter.

and yeah- those berettas are light!

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I personally think it's none of the elder's business. The judgmental JWs need to stop trying to do the work of their god.

As for myself, I would never carry a handgun in the car. Why not? Because I've been the victim of road rage too many times and would probably have shot someone by now. As far as home protection, I'm all for it. If someone is ignorant enough to break into my home, take things that I've worked hard for, and put my life in danger, they deserve to eat a lead sandwich.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    As far as home protection, I'm all for it. If someone is ignorant enough to break into my home, take things that I've worked hard for, and put my life in danger, they deserve to eat a lead sandwich.

Amen.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    some people have guns that I would not trust with the family cutlery

I would not trust any guns with the family cutlery.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Jeffro...very funny...lol

By the way you sent me a PM a few weeks back....I've only just learned NONE of my outgoing PM's were ever sent. So I did send you a response.

Feel free to drop me an email at: [email protected]

Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit