Explain you religion/beliefs in a nutshell

by devinsmom 67 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

and with teeth like that I'd stay clear.

my beliefs now....hmmm yeah I don't want to get involved in religion. I do believe in God, in his love, his grace & his rest. I believe he also wants us to happy and to have an excellent life & to share that with others.

• JAVA
    JAVA
    So, I DO beleave in the nutshell.

Good one Steve!

I'm sure there is some good in some religions, and it's easy for me to overlook that as an ex-Witness. However, many of the less controlling religions are still willing to paint others as evil, sinners, or weak because of their skin color, country of origin, gender, sexual preferences, who you voted for, and the list goes on.

I'm an agnostic, which means I know that I don't know about the reality of God or Higher Power. I'm very happy with that. Unitarianism is a religion that stresses individual freedom of belief -- as long as it's liberal. :) If you're looking for a religious community without the trappings of dogma, that might be a good place to start.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am a non-practicing agnostic. If my present life is the extent of life and there is paradise or heaven, I am happy to be alive.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    logic: My beliefs in a nut shell:

Religion is the source of most evil on this planet and the human race would be better off without it.

There is one universal law that is all that people need to obey and its "Treat others how you want to be treated". If only people would listen to that...

ya, in logic's name, amen. atheism. ...and science is as close as we have ever come as a species to understanding the true nature of reality. start in the default position, and start the journey of following the facts wherever they lead you. even if it's scary. it's better than "presisting in delusion", as carl sagan said.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

In a nutshell? You and me God, right?

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I don't really get into beliefs anymore, although I understand where some people are coming from. I've met some people who are 'religious' but they really don't consider belief to be the primary thing, actually the attitude is more like belief is not the point at all. I mean sure if you want to study religion or whatever it can be interesting and informative, but think of a friend who accepts you unconditionally vs. someone who just shares similar beliefs and thought processes - that's two very different things.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi April:

As a Catholic Christian here are my beliefs in a nutshell:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
    and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
    Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
    He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
    He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Sprit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. Amen.

The above confession of faith is known as the Apostles Creed. It is one of the oldest in the Church and was used to teach me about the Catholic faith.

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• doogie
    doogie

i will believe in god when he proves he exists. until then, i believe in him as much as i believe in leprechauns...

i believe that humans have the potential for great good and great evil, but there's a better chance for good in the logical mind than the illogical.

before i believe i must have proof.

like someone else said, the bible condones the taking of virgins as spoils of war...even if it WAS inspired by a deity, it's no deity that i would feel good about worshipping. (the fact that the bible clearly isn't inspired helps)

ya, in logic's name, amen.
    all hail logic!
  • zen nudist
    zen nudist

I believe I am GOD, insane, and suffering from multiple personality disorder

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

"I stand amid the roar of a surf-tormented shore and I hold within my hands grains of the golden sand-- how few yet how they creep through my fingers to the deep while I weep, while I weep. O God can I not grasp them with a tighter grasp. O God can I not save one from the pitiless wave. Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?"

Prolly totally butchered that but my philosophy is fairly well-expressed in that poem (love Edgar Allen).

This life is but a dream, sometimes good, sometimes bad, and it's up to us to learn and grow into better people thru it all cos paradise is just waiting for us to wake up to it (and by "wake up" I don't mean die I just mean wake up).

I can't prove it's a dream but believing it is or hoping it is is the only way for me to deal with its more nightmarish aspects right now...

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit