Explain you religion/beliefs in a nutshell

by devinsmom 67 Replies latest jw friends

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

Lately I have been pondering my lack of a belief system. I think that being a jw really turned me off to believing in anything since it was all crammed down my throat.

I have been feeling a need to believe in something. I think I believe that something created us but not sure if it was one god or many. Dont know if I believe in the bible. I mostly have been leaning towards the thought that it is just a book written by man and although it is good to live by for some people.I just dont hold myself to the same standards as the bible holds and I dont feel I am wrong for not doing so. I would be being untrue to myself for example to hating gay people just because the bible says its wrong. Why would a loving god allow homosexual feelings to exist in people and then punish them for acting on them? Also, the whole sex before marriage thing, well personally if I am serious about someone and commited, why rush into marriage as so many jws do just to have sex and then find out your all wrong for each other? Just a couple examples.

Anyway what Im getting at here is what are your thoughts on the validity of the bible, what to you believe in (as briefly as possible) and what lead to you to your beliefs.

-April

• logical
    logical

My beliefs in a nut shell:

Religion is the source of most evil on this planet and the human race would be better off without it.

There is one universal law that is all that people need to obey and its "Treat others how you want to be treated". If only people would listen to that...

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

My beliefs in a nutshell.

I have had the good fortune to see, touch, feel, and tap a nutshell. I've even opened a few to reveal the nut inside.

So, I DO beleave in the nutshell.

steve

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

The bible well, thats a book of myths based on older sumerian fiction. Can it teach some good things? Sure so can Moby Dick. It can also teach some rotten things, like killing women and children is good, rape isnt sooo bad, and yada yada yada.

be excellent to each other, and party on dudes.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Thats such a good question. I dont know if I kow yet. Im still finding my way. What I no longer believe in is the organisation of religion. the relationship should be betwen you and God (or what or whoever you believe in) mankind shouldnt get in the way. I want to believe the bible, but maybe it is open to interpretation.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I found satisfaction in the writings of Carl Gustav Jung. He observed the commonality in human behaviour and beliefs, saw archetypes and the power they posess. Basically he came to the conclusion that all our life questions can be answered by looking inwards as well as out. Helped me...

• Ellie
    Ellie

The bible may very well be a book from God but the problem is it has been changed so much over the centuries that none of us really know what the original book teaches.

I also think, if it was a book from God and our whole life depends on it then no God in his right mind would have invented languages, he would make sure that we all had access to the original writings and so would be able to make a decision whether or not we want to live by bible principles, not which man made religion we want to trust in.

• JH
    JH

I beleive that a world was indeed distroyed in the past, during the flood, and that God does exist, and that he will destroy once more.

So, I think that fear of being destroyed is what religion is all about.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Thankfully rodents dont have long life spans anyway, eh JH?

Just kiddin bra, Just kiddin

• JH
    JH

I'm of a family of super rodents....one that lives some 85 to 90 years....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit