How did you get over your silly fear of demons?

by embeth2525 84 Replies latest jw friends

• embeth2525
    embeth2525

Thanks everybody, great suggestions. It is silly to think that a demon might want a book or a picture or something, after all, what could it possibly do with it? it couldn't take it with it anywhere. ( jw's sure put a lot of fear into people.) Embeth

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

By repeating the secret words my Freemason grandfather told me they used to keep demons away.

jk....he never would tell me what they were. grrrrrrr

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow
    I always thought it was a bunch of hooey. I mean really now!!! So, if I have a demonic experience as a Jo Ho, wouldn't that make me run like mad to the KH and NEVER EVER slip up again. It would make me want to be the best Dub there was since it would prove Satan's existence no?

Exactly. And that's the point of teaching that they do exist.

I think it's hilarious to hear about people's firsthand or secondhand accounts of demons or ghosts and stuff. It is a bunch of hooey and it can all be explained. But if you want to believe it, it's easy enough, I suppose.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    real satanists don't even believe in satan

That's completely untrue.

There are Satanists like those associated with the official Church of Satan that do not believe in an entity or demon called Satan, but there are plenty of Satanists that do. For example, The Temple of Set, a breakaway from the Church of Satan believes in a real demonic entity.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

You can fear or not fear something out of belief, either belief that something exists or does not exist - this would all be belief based, basically operating from the same consciousness.

Certainly when someone has an experience it hits closer to home, but the experiences is inevitably tied in with beliefs - after all if you don't have any beliefs about it why would you interpret it as either demonic influence OR whatever other explanation you want to attribute it to? It is just unexplained phenomena without belief. Just an experience.

The mind has a tendancy to "take sides", but to be free from it would be something completely different altogether. To take a side implies buying into that whole frame of reference, and you are then bound by that view, whatever your position is.

• Mac
    Mac

I gave my soul to Lucifer...

mac

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Mac, did you also leave your heart in San Francisco?

• Mac
    Mac

Little known fact..

Tony Bennett is a servant of the dark master.

macphistopheles

• rocky220
    rocky220

The only demons i worry about are the ones living in the Watchtower screwing with our loved ones heads,

who are still in the Borg, blind to the bullsh!t.................Rocky220

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The indoctrination of Satan and his demons is a tool used to make people comply. It works on one of the most influencing and instinctive emotions, namely fear. Look at the histories of any culture and civilization and you can see how fear in something has motivated that group to perform the even most incredible things, to name a few from the 20th century, The Holocaust, McCarthyism, Racial prejudice, the cold war, Y2K, and now War on Terrorism.Some of the fears can be true, some can be based on a truth and some are made up. But all, if convincing all are extremely powerful.

The fear of Satan and demons is, in part, fear of the unknown. Nobody has ever seen Satan or one of his demons but millions of people are terrified by the prospect. You could say that it is an irrational fear. One of the best methods for overcoming the fear of the unknown is to acquaint yourself with it. I'm not suggesting you should paint you nails black and sacrifice a goat while listening to Megadeath, but research their origins.
    Here's a few to get you started I found through google:

Satanism:
    In the Middle Ages, the concept evolved to articulate Satanism as sort of an opposite number to the Catholic Church. At this point, Satanism became a fishy notion. In the eyes of the church, as detailed in literature related to Witch Trials and the Inquisition, Satanism was structured specifically as the opposite of the Church. It possessed its own sacraments, all of which were evil opposites of the Catholic sacraments, and it performed dark rites such as the Black Mass, which was a backwards parody of the Catholic Mass. One variation of the mass, recorded in James Frazer's The Golden Bough, a compendium of the world's occult practices, was called the Mass of Saint-Secaire:

Lucifer:
    The scholars authorized by ... King James I to translate the Bible into current English did not use the original Hebrew texts, but used versions translated ... largely by St. Jerome in the fourth century. Jerome had mistranslated the Hebraic metaphor, "Day star, son of the Dawn," as "Lucifer," and over the centuries a metamorphosis took place. Lucifer the morning star became a disobedient angel, cast out of heaven to rule eternally in hell. Theologians, writers, and poets interwove the myth with the doctrine of the Fall, and in Christian tradition Lucifer is now the same as Satan, the Devil, and --- ironically --- the Prince of Darkness.

Devil:
    In fact, the very words "demon" and "devil" have been vilified in just such a way. Before cultural judgment turned these words into something wholly other than their original meaning, both words represented entities that were considered sacred and holy. The word "devil" comes from the Sanskrit/Hindi word "deva," which refers to the good angels of the Hindu pantheon. The root of both "devil" and "deva" means "divine." It was only after Zoroaster and the Persians conquered Hindu territory that they felt compelled to make the Hindu gods into devils! Thus, the Hindu devas became the Persians devils.

Demon:
    The word "demon" comes from the Greek word "daimon" or "daemon," which originally referred to beings of divine, godly nature - gods, not evil spirits. "Daemon" was also corrupted and changed into having a evil connotation through the same religion-making process. It had nothing to do with an accurate discernment of any genuine evil spirit. It was simply Christian Propaganda used to brainwash the followers of the Greek and Roman religions into rejecting their old gods in favor of the newly created Christian character. Look at the greek god Pan or Roman god Faunus and see the reference to the medieval images to portray Devils and demons.

And here's what The Bible for idiots says:
    Surprisingly, most of what people believe about Satan does not come from the Bible. For instance, the common image of Satan as a forked-tailed horned demon with a goat's body from the waist down derives more from the Greek god Pan than anything biblical. What, then, does the Bible say about Satan?
    The Hebrew name Satan (pronounced sa-tan) actually means "adversary," and most often in the Hebrew Bible it is prefaced by the direct object, meaning "the adversary" rather than a distinct personal name. Satan's role grows more developed both in scope and magnitude through time, and, thus, in the earlier writings of the Hebrew Bible, Satan exists not so much as an individual character but as an adversarial position occupied by both humans and angels.
    For example, the word satan is used for a human potential adversary in the Philistine army (1 Samuel 29:4), and two kings God raises to be Solomon's adversaries (1 Kings 11:14, 23). An angel of the LORD is called satan when he blocks the path of Balaam (Numbers 22:22, 32). Satan becomes more developed as a character in later writings of the Hebrew Bible, though he only appears a few times. He at times causes humans to do bad things, as he incites King David to conduct a census (1 Chronicles 21:1).
    Satan also acts as a heavenly prosecuting attorney, bringing charges against sinners before God's heavenly court. For example, in Psalm 109:6 the author asks Satan to bring an enemy to trial. Also in Zechariah 3:1-2, Satan stands at the right hand of an angel to bring charges against the High Priest. Satan has a similar role in the opening chapter of Job, where he appears in the heavenly court with the sons of God to bring charges against Job.
    In the New Testament, Satan plays a much larger role. Here Satan, also frequently called the Devil (from Greek diabolos, also meaning "adversary") is a proper name for the one who opposes God. Satan is also identified in the New Testament with the deceitful serpent in Eden, as well as many other names including Belial, the evil one, the ruler of the demons, the enemy, the ruler of this world, and Beelzebul (Beelzebub, meaning "Lord of the flies," is a pun on the name Beelzebul, meaning "Prince Baal").
    Many scholars attribute Satan's development from an adversary to the archenemy of God to the influence of the Persian religion Zoroastrianism. This religion is a lot like Star Wars, in which two opposing forces, one good and the other evil, struggle for control of the universe. Yet, the New Testament preserves the Hebrew Bible's notion of Satan as far inferior to God and needing to get God's permission before "raising hell" on earth (see, for example, Luke 22:31). Following the biblical period, Medieval theologians reinterpreted passages such as Isaiah 14 and Ezekiel 28, in which Babylonian and Phoenician kings are condemned for pride, as descriptions about Satan. In fact, the name Lucifer comes from a Latin translation of Isaiah 14:12, in which the Babylonian king is linked to a fallen Morning Star, called in Latin lucern ferre ("bearer of light").

Happy reseaching
    Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit