Greatest Rock drummers

by DanTheMan 104 Replies latest social entertainment

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Lynn Easton (male). Drummer for the Kingsmen and the drummer on the famous version of Louis Louis. He has drums of all kinds all over his house(boat)! AND his copy of their gold record for Louis Louis. When asked "what ARE the words?" He responds, "I dunno, I was only the drummer!".

Also, one of the reasons that the words are intelligible was that Richard, the lead singer of the band (who were in their teens) just had his braces tightened the day before and his mouth hurt! Sorry to say that Richard passed away a couple years ago of cancer.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Pretty damned old here....what's a "shelia e"?

~Hill (slim whitman rocks class)

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Fave drummers: "For single stroke, Neil Pert is the man. Lars [Ulrich] got me all excited about the double bass. But Dennis Chambers is master of ceremonies, man. That fucker can fly over the drums without even moving his body. His technique is so bad he doesn't even have to move."

Being female -- has it helped or hurt?: Helped. "The only thing that pisses me off is when you hear guys say, 'You're the best girl drummer I've ever seen.' What the hell is that supposed to mean? But you'll never not have that. No matter what, they're always going to say that. And it's not as bad as it used to be. I only hear it like once a week now."

Eulinberg is one of the few female drummers in a noisy, raucous major-label rock act (Kid Rock and Twisted Brown Trucker are on Atlantic/Lava Records; Kid Rock's latest release, Devil Without a Cause, recently went gold). She plays the drums hard and smart (and barefoot), happily hams it up onstage, and says she was born to tour. That and an amazingly resilient liver have made Eulinberg the long-lost sister of Kid Rock and company.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

LOL @ hillbilly...

Sheila E is older than you!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If my kid listens to her band it *may* or * may not* be "music".......................

time for a can of Ensure, fresh adult diaper and a nap now...........

~Hill

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Sheila E... Before she became a solo artist in 1984, drummer Sheila E. played with Azteca, the Latin jazz-fusion band led by her father, percussionist Pete "Coke" Escovedo; she also played on two of his solo albums recorded for Fantasy Records. Prince discovered Sheila E. around 1983 and had her sing on "Erotic City," the B-side to his number one 1984 single, "Let's Go Crazy." Prince also helped her secure a record contract with Warner Bros.; she released her debut album, Sheila E. in the Glamorous Life, in 1984. Written by Prince, the title track hit the U.S. Top Ten and her second single, "The Belle of St. Mark," charted in both the American and British Top 40. The following year she released Sheila E. in Romance 1600, which featured the number 11 hit "A Love Bizarre." Her self-titled album was released in 1987, yet it didn't have the commercial impact of her two previous records. Sheila E. joined Prince's band for the 1987 Sign O' the Times tour and is featured prominently in the resulting film documentary of the same name. Four years later, she returned with her fourth album, Sex Cymbal. Despite it's heavy dance beats and vivacious compositions, Sex Cymbal failed to chart. After her brief stint ringleading the band on Magic Johnson's late-night show, The Magic Hour, Sheila E. returned to recording and released The Writes of Passage in fall 2000.

Toured 2002 with the Ringo All Starr Band.

• Mac
    Mac

Tat...

Karen Carpenter was a hell of a drummer!

mac(hopes this doesn't conflict with the nerdy music thread class)

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Yep, Sheila E. was/is a great drummer. I think princes best drummer to date has been John Blackwell! Man he's incredible!

M'

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Meg White....The White Stripes

Women proving themselves on the drums

While female singers and guitarists have gained respect and success in the world of rock and pop, women choosing to play drums seem to have a greater struggle on their calloused hands.

Often seen as a novelty or gimmick, the female drummer comes in for a good deal of scrutiny and sexism as she tries to prove herself in a world of rock gods and roadies.

So, why would any woman want to play drums?

As the music festival season draws to a close, Woman's Hour talks to a handful of women drummers, including Caroline Corr of The Corrs, and finds out why there is more to keeping to the beat than brute strength.

BBC Music

You can listen to the interviews here....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/2004_34_thu_01.shtml

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

((((mac))) Thanks...didn't know that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit