Greatest Rock drummers

by DanTheMan 104 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I was listening to Zep's Dazed and Confused today and the rocking middle section of that song never ceases to amaze me - John Bonham was from a different planet, was completely insane, or both. Nothing I've ever heard in any other song quite compares to that.

Honorable mentions:

Neil Peart on the songs Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions

Tommy Lee on the forgotten Crue song Red Hot, and just about everything else he did on the Shout at the Devil album was superb

Dave Grohl was great in Nirvana, and is probably as much a reason for their success as Cobain was

• kls
    kls

Ah yes John Bonham was in my opinion the best . He wrote almost all of Led Zepplin songs and his drumming was like no other .

• talesin
    talesin

Add to the list,

Alex Van Halen, there is a great drum solo on "hot for teacher" which is one of my favorites, and

the drummer from def Leppard (don't know his name). How many one-armed drummers have you seen? lol He is amazing!

And let's not forget, from the 60s, the great Sandy Nelson, and "Birth of the Beat", a 30+ minute drum track that is one of the most amazing r&r pieces that I have ever heard -- a complete album, w/ only him and his percussion ...

tal

• kls
    kls
    And let's not forget, from the 60s, the great Sandy Nelson, and "Birth of the Beat", a 30+ minute drum track that is one of the most amazing r&r pieces that I have ever heard -- a complete album, w/ only him and his percussion ...

tal

Oh my Tales ,how old did you say you were?

• hubert
    hubert

Talesin,

Have you heard of Gene Krupa?

He's from the mid 50's to early 60's.

I don't even remember in what songs I've heard him play percussion, but I remember the name.

Hubert, .........of the alzheimer's flashback.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Neil Peart ROCKS!!!

It's like watching art to see him perform... RUSH was the first BIG concert I ever went to... I was and still am blown away.

I don't know, but all my musician friends use to rave on and on about the drummer for the Police?

u/d (of the musically challenged class)

• talesin
    talesin

kls, you know how old we were in the 60s.

Actually, it was my (much older) foster brother's album. Even then, as a small child, I was born to rock and roll!

hubert,

Yes, and recently. That name rings such a loud bell ... I will explore google and see what I come up with.

U/D

RUSH - Canadian of course! LOL !

And the drummer for the Police was Stuart Copeland, if memory serves me correctly ...

tal

• hubert
    hubert

Yes ! Steawart Copeland of the Police.

Really great drummer.

I mimmick him when I hear the "police" while driving my truck through traffic.

People are amazed !!

Hubert

Talesin, let me know what you come up with on Gene Krupa....Thanks.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm in retirement from JWD for now, but I can't resist posting here about drummers.

Most people who know of Alice Cooper have not heard his best LP, though they may know the one hit from it: "I'm Eighteen" .

The drumming on this LP is amazing, very memorable and the mixer makes sure that it's prominent enough for you to note it. Here's a quote from the first review on Amazon: "Neal Smith's drum work is, as always, the driving force behind these classic songs..."

Give yourself a feast for the ears and go to:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002KBB/104-8390214-8722346?v=glance
    and listen to each of the samples. Second Coming is a good place to start. If you have Internet Explorer, open the link in Explorer, the player is better. See how drumming can be a melodic part of rock arrangements rather than just a background beat that blends to the point that it's not noticed.
  • talesin
    talesin

hubert

Gene Krupa - famous jazz and big band percussionist of the 40s & 50s. :D I bet Hillary_Step could tell us some interesting stuff, he is really into the jazz.

Here's a link to his biography .... http://www.redhotjazz.com/krupa.html

The Police --- when they came up, it was like a frenzy! Considered to be one of the most brilliant R&R bands of the 80s. Lots of jazz influence there as well ....

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit