Greatest Rock drummers

by DanTheMan 104 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Tatiana,

I cannot speak for female rock drummers but a female Jazz drummer whom I saw in NY a few years ago and who can really play, is Susie Ibarra. I was very impressed not just by her incredible drumming but her very tight compositions. Some of her more avante garde pieces may not please many tastes, but she can move be-bop with the best of them.

http://www.susieibarra.com/background.htm

Best regards - HS

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thanks hillary...I will check her out. I copied the discography list.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

http://members.ol.com.au/rgriffin/GoBetweens/198707RAM.html

No, this isn?t another worthy women-in rock feature ? although it is about a rock?n?roll woman. This woman is both feminist and feral six foot tall, intelligent, loudmouthed and wild as a polecat. Lindy Morrison, Go-Betweens? drummer, all of 35 and she still hasn?t slowed up or settled down, she still won?t shut up.

This might sound like the sort of person you would walk a mile to avoid, except for the fact that Ms Morrison is also very charming ? and believe me, Lindy could charm the pants off the Ayatollah if it wasn?t for the fact that she frightens most men shitless.

At times Lindy even frightens me, so full is she of unfettered energy?almost like it?s only her skin holding it all in. She has this spirited, animated way of talking which is difficult to convey via the printed page. It?s sometimes hurried and breathless, often excited and excitable. You tend to get wound up and enthused with her, and a long session can be quite debilitating. Couple that with her prodigious capacity for alcohol and any attempt to keep up will see you seriously wrecked and out of action for the next week, while she forges on unaffected. I speak from experience.

Why write about the female drummer of a semi-famous expatriate Australian band? Well, I think it?s high time we redressed the imbalance in female role models. Boys have plenty of nasty rock?n?roll heroes to emulate and be inspired by, but girls mostly have wimpy, figure-perfect, flawless looking femmes who know how to behave and toe the line.

People wax on about Madonna being a right-on role model for young girls, with her sussy, street-smart, boy-bossin? attitude to life. Lindy has all of that and more, plus she?s the antithesis of everything girls are encouraged to be ? unlike Ms Ciccone, who simply plays the game to her own advantage.

Female drummers are even now not your everyday item, but when Lindy started out bashing the skins, they were on a par with hens? teeth. It wasn?t an obvious occupation for her to pursue, upper middle-class daughter of a respected Brisbane medical family that she was. In fact, she began her working life ? decorously enough ? as a social worker. This led her into contact with the emerging radical black movement of the early 70s an experience which she says fundamentally changed her life.

LINDY MORRISON - GETTING PAID IN THE MUSIC BIZ 11:30-1pm
    Lindy Morrison is a drummer and community musician. She has a Bachelor of Social Work, (QLD University). From 1980 until 1990 she played drums with the internationally successful rock group The Go-Betweens. The band originally from Brisbane was based in London and recorded six albums, touring Europe, USA and Australia continually.

In her capacity as a music educator, Lindy has lectured all over Australia on copyright issues and artist rights. Lindy has been Artist Director on the PPCA Board since 1993. She is a Director on the Board of the Music Council of Australia. Lindy is the National Coordinator for Support Act Ltd the benevolent society for musicians and workers in the music industry.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

HS, interesting response to my question, thanks. Sorry to hear about your drummer friend getting borg'd.

A song that has some great drumming in it is Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman. I looked up the album credits and its a guy named Rock Deadrick.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Neil Pert seems to be the choice of this thread and he IS one of the very best of all time, I have to say (with props to Avishai and despah) that Danny Carrey from TOOL could beat Neil Pert and his meat at the same time. He is truly a prodigy.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Wow, better than Neil? I will have to look into Danny Carrey!

M'

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Doane Perry - Jethro Tull

Ginger Baker - Cream

Dismembered

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dan,

I stumbled across this track today, recorded in 1969 and highlighting a young Tony Oxley. It stops abruptly because it runs into a much longer piece, but you will get the general idea. You do not have to thrash a kit to death to prove you can drum, sometimes in percussion what is most important is the noise that you do not make. This man can swing.

Oxley has gone on to have an illustrious career and even though in his late sixties is playing as well as ever.

link : Oxley 'Arjens Bag" - 1969

Tony Oxley Bio. : http://www.shef.ac.uk/~ps/efi/moxley.html

Best regards - HS

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Good song, excellent drumming, thanks for the link HS.

BTW, I downloaded (legally!) A Love Supreme - most excellent!

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

Check out "The Drum Thing" on Crescent. Elvin was a giant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit