Greatest Rock drummers

by DanTheMan 104 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Gumby,

I was unfortunate enough to attend a concert described as a 'Drum Battle' between Ginger Baker and Elvin Jones, in the late 60's I believe. It was a shambles musically and though Baker was a nifty drummer, Elvin Jones played circles around him. Jazz musicians are invariably much more skilful than *most* of their rock counterparts.

Some great rock drummers : John Marshall, as focused and powerful a drummer as I have ever heard - listen to his offerings with 'Soft Machine". Jon Hiseman, Denis Elliot, who cut his first album at 17 with the superb Jazz/Rock band 'IF' much to everybody's amazement, Franz Di Cioccio outstanding drummer with Italian progressive rock band PFM, and the very underrated Richard Coughlan drummer with Caravan.

Some great jazz drummers, Elvin Jones - nuff said, Ed Blackwell - nuff said, Trevor Tompkins - one of the most 'melodic' drummers I have heard, Doug Sides, magic in sticks, he phenomenal Tony Oxley, and of course the gentleman of Jazz drummers Joe Morello who is still drumming after all these years.

I am not terribly keen on 'show drummers' like Buddy Rich, Billy Cobham and even Jack DeJohnette who very often forget that they are part of a band, though they admittedly raise Cain when seen live.

HS

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

No question in my mind: Neil Peart, from Rush. No one even comes close. As much as I like the arrangements of other rock bands, and as well as many other drummers fit into their band, there is only one rock drummer I know of that can hold my rapt attention for minutes on end with nothing but drumbeats.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

OldSoul,

No question in my mind: Neil Peart, from Rush. No one even comes close.

You mean of all the drummers that you have heard so far I hope. Try listening to John Marshall ( linked above ), he makes most rock drummers look like embarrassed students of the art. Yes, I have heard Peart.

Best regards - HS

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    know Phil Collins turned out to be an insipid soft rock artist, but I like the drumming on some of his early stuff, like I Don't Care Anymore

aint that the truth....at his peak though he was brilliant...and the peak was the last genesis album with peter gabriel...the lamb lies down on broadway (see avatar)...the drums are not just playing rhythm..they are playing tunes

drum solos suck

unless they do more than show off a drummers ability to drum....phil collins and chester thompson (who deputised on tour with genesis cos phil was singing) used to do a drum duet that was spectacular

other great drummers inc...bill bruford of yes and others....and roger taylor of queen

• hubert
    hubert

Talesin, Thanks for the link on Gene Krupa.

Who was /is the drummer for "Yanni"?

I liked his style.

Hubert

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

HS, I enjoyed that article on Elvin Jones. I'm not a big jazz fan, but I'd like to check out some of his work. Any song suggestions? From the article it sounds like his best work was in the 1960's with John Coltrane.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Dan,

HS, I enjoyed that article on Elvin Jones. I'm not a big jazz fan, but I'd like to check out some of his work. Any song suggestions? From the article it sounds like his best work was in the 1960's with John Coltrane.
    Yes, that work is classic. He also did some astonishing work with McCoy Tyner after Coltrane died. I think 'A Love Supreme' which Coltrane recorded a short while before his death and showcases Elvin Jones at his best is the one that I would suggest.

It is one of those 'life-changing' pieces of music. I first heard it when I was twelve years of age and was so overwhelmed by what I heard that I painted a huge mural of John Coltrane on my bedroom wall. My parents were not amused....lol It still raises the hair on the nape of my neck when I listen to it all these years later.
    While you are at it, try to track down 'New View' by John Handy. It was recorded in '67 as a tribute to Coltrane and contains an alto version of 'Naima', one of Coltrane's classic's of his 'spiritual' era. It also features Doug Sides on drums. Another life-changing recording.
    On rock music, have you ever heard the band Tempest? Very nifty stuff, years ahead of its time. http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/tempest.htm I think that you would enjoy it very much.
    Best regards - HS
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks HS, I'll check those out

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

What about Moonie? Good old Keith.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks Hilary for a great link, I will return to that.

for me it is the ones that I have seen live and that moved me to exultant joy that stick in the mind. I admit that I am not an expert but..

Jon Hiseman, with John Mayalls Bluesbreakers then Colliseum

Ginger Baker, with Cream

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit