Greatest Rock drummers

by DanTheMan 104 Replies latest social entertainment

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah, I would have to go with Bonham too. His drumming always had a crisp, tight, full-bodied sound. I think Dazed and Confused is one of the greatest rock songs ever in terms of its structure (tho some Metallica songs amaze me just as much), but I love the drumming also on Whole Lotta Love, The Ocean, Poor Tom, and other songs.

Dave Grohl still drums...see the recent Cat Power disc.

I know Phil Collins turned out to be an insipid soft rock artist, but I like the drumming on some of his early stuff, like I Don't Care Anymore.

On edit: How could I forget Budgie!!! I love his sound too, fits very well with the overall lyrics and sound of Siouxsie Sioux.

• gumby
    gumby

Ringo Starr - greatest drummer that ever lived!

Just kiddin. Ginger Baker of "Cream" was considered one of the greatest.

Journeys drummer is awesome too. Saw them in Konocti not long ago.

Gumby

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

ew Beatles blech

Leolaia, I agree Phil Collins was a very solid drummer, the song Turn it on Again and the last part of Mama come to mind. Regarding the latter song, I think it is one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard, I love it.

Stewart Copeland, yes indeedely doodley, such a distinct style

I think the drummer is too often considered to be an afterthought when bands form. A good drummer makes a ok band great (early Crue), and a great band collossal (Zeppelin).

• JeffT
    JeffT

Gumby beat me to it with Ginger Baker. The man was awesome. I saw Cream in 1968, great show. It is too bad that Baker couldn't keep the drugs under control.

• talesin
    talesin

Dan

Do you remember Rare Earth (early 70s)? My first big concert -- the drummer was also the lead singer, which is quite rare. He was awesome, such energy and a huge voice. Their most well-known songs ... Big Brother and Celebrate.

"Hey Big Brother! Just as soon as YOU arrive ..."

On a sad note, Phil Collins is now almost deaf, and when I saw him interviewed recently, says that his work will be changing ... good luck Phil!

tal

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

All mentioned here were and or either are great drummers in their own right; one that particular jumps out as great was the drummer in the band WASP; i remember hearing a phenominal drum solo live which blew me away.

DB74

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I've never been a big enough Cream fan to really get into Ginger Baker, but I'm listening to White Room right now and I like, yes I do

Talesin, I think I know the song Celebrate, is that the one that goes "I-iiiiiiii just want to celebra-a-ate?"

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Keith Moon, I love the beginning of Baba O'Reilly where the drums come in, he was just crashing those cymbals so hard, gotta love it

Of course I have to get a Joe Satriani mention in. His primary recording and road drummer over the years has been a guy named Jeff Campitelli who is great. Also, on his self-titled 1995 album Manu Katche (whose is best known for his work on Peter Gabriel's successful 80's efforts) played the drums most excellently. There's a few fills and little riffs that he did that make me laugh out loud when I hear them, they are so cool.

• talesin
    talesin

Dan

Yes, that is the song. hehe I guess it's a good exJW song, huh? I just want to celebrate another day of living, yeah! What excitement that concert was for me. Just a small stadium, me and my first real date (we held hands, it was so exciting!). They rocked us out.

The guy from The Tea Party is quite a percussionist as well - I saw them several years ago. He didn't play a kit, just hand-held instruments.

And speaking of the Beatles, I saw Pete Best (the '5the Beatle') a couple of years ago. What a bitter man. Trust me, Ringo was better. lol!

tal

• ivy
    ivy

Just have to share a favorite joke here:

Q: How many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: Don't they have machines to do that these days?

The husband is a drummer, so I have many of these names drilled in my head. His all time favorite is a bit more modern though; Manu Katché. He has worked with Peter Gabriel, Sting, Tori Amos and others. I don't have a great understanding of the art, but I have developed an appreciation for it.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

ivy... I met the guy who invented the drum machine at a party a year and a half ago. He also gave a pretty fun performance of a theramin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit