Is "unconditional love" a myth??

by Brummie 171 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I don't love "unconditionally". If someone treats me like crap I won't waste my time or emotion on them. I did that for too long, to my detriment.

I used to have unconditional love for cognac, but now I prefer scotch. Things change.

Walter

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Unconditional, has no restrictions or boundaries; the human mind can't encompass that. Everything within thought, in order to fit in there, must be circumscribed.

This does not mean that unconditional love does not exist, it just means it is not conscious as long as there is total adherence to the minds interpretations and ideas of what is real and true.

Thank you for putting my own musings into words, JT. In my own view, the moment I try to wrap my mind around the concept, it runs away from me......... Ter

• Brummie
    Brummie
    do you have icewater in your veins?

Yes, I pumped it in this morning with a syringe. I cant afford the good stuff.

Define "loveydovey" ? ;)

you're just being dramatic

I'm unconditionally dramatic, its one of my finer qualities.

Yes JT & Satanus gave some good insights too. Thx

Brummie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I think we're going off the beaten track here.

The statement was to the effect that "we have unconditional love for someone". The statement is exclusive to the "someone" referenced.

It's a whole different ball of wax to have the quality of "unconditional love" for the whole world and it's mother, with no exclusivity.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh mush!

• doogie
    doogie

LT:

The statement is exclusive to the "someone" referenced

wouldn't that be a condition?

• franklin J
    franklin J

I have unconditional love for my children....

the love between me and my spouse is conditional.....fact of life as is evidenced by so many failed relationships where one spouse stops trying and the relationship fails. If one spouse is abusive ( mentally , emotionally or physically) the relationship suffers and eventually dies.

• Gozz
    Gozz

I have seen unconditional love in action. Twice. In both instances, I couldn't resist the temptation to conclude that the giver of such love was unthinking, and perhaps mentally or phsychologically ill; but right there it was: insane love, one of a mother for her child, and the other of a wife for her horror-of-a-human husband. One cannot generalize from one or two observations, but one case, just one, crushes the proposition that unconditional love is impossible. Do I understand it? No. The first example is powerful, and I saw it bring tears to the eyes of men with hearts of steel, I get a tiny pool in the eyes recalling it; it was indeed limitless love. Was the mother sick? By any standards no; was she momentarily mad? Perhaps, I wouldn't know. Beyond romantic or any other kind of love, the love of a mother for her child holds the greatest hope for love that may be unconditional. There's also more than a hint of truth that those who argue otherwise are most probably unable to give it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Six:
    Go boil yer heid

Doogie:
    To use "conditional" in that context would be to merge the terms, that's why I phrased it that way.

I think the mother-child bond is an example of "exclusive unconditional love", as is born testimony to in some of the cases on this board where a mother eventually cracks and talks to their DFed child.

Since the the term "love" applies to "relationship", implying a recipient is required, I would argue that James has missed a beat in his definition.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

If I have enough Scotch in me I have Unconditional Love for everyone! kidding

I have that love for my Children! (not the scotch part you sickos)

Brooke

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit