Is "unconditional love" a myth??

by Brummie 171 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

Of course it is a myth. Do you love everybody unconditionally, or just your family? Watch your answer, it may blow your myths sky high.

HS

• Brummie
    Brummie

Good thoughts Orade.

If you stick to the purist definition of "unconditional" as being abolutely without any conditions or limitations, I'd have to say that "unconditional" love IS a myth for all but the very psychologically ill.

In an abusive relationship I can see this is true. The manipulation leads to the abused one believing that they cant live without the abuser. This isnt love, this is psychological fear.

But, we can love people close to us without limitations, we deal with their bad points differently, the attatchment remains as strong as ever even if they hurt us. The door is always open to forgivness. Even if we cant live with them we still love them, this is perhaps demonstrated by the undying need to have a closer relationship with them. Their sin may seperate us physically but the bond is never broken.

Brummie

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Do you love everybody unconditionally, or just your family?

I can only relate it to my family and that is enough to show me that "unconditional love" is not a myth. You can only blow away my "myth" if you are a giver or receiver of uncondional love. Otherwise, you only have the paperwork to go on. Go ahead.

Brummie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Orade,

If you stick to the purist definition of "unconditional" as being abolutely without any conditions or limitations, I'd have to say that "unconditional" love IS a myth for all but the very psychologically ill.

You are of course perfectly correct, which make Brummie perfectly incorrect. Again.

HS

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

It is absolutely a Myth. It is funny I have a half-finished essay entitled: The Myth of Unconditional Love.

-Eduardo

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

awww Brummie, you're so romanting.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    which make Brummie perfectly incorrect.

How do you know dude, it appears you know more about the 60s than you do about "unconditional"?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I think mother's love for her children is pretty much as unconditional as it gets

Ditto that!

I can't imagine my children doing anything that would make me stop loving them. Even if they were criminals, they are my children, and they have their mother's unconditional love. That also applies to my grandchildren.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Perhaps more of an oxymoron than a myth...

But a very nice and important one anyway.

• kls
    kls

Didn't think of my kids when i first read this but here i have unconditional love but as sad as it maybe some parents do.( especially the jw parents)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit