Role-Playing & XJW Discussion Boards.

by hillary_step 89 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Odrade, if you just go back in and edit your post, your paragraphs will show up (at least this works for me). YOu don't have to do anything other than hit edit/submit.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Odrade, I have the same problem on a Mac. Try editing after you make the original post and see if you can add paragraphs then. You probably still won't have emoticons though.

Edited to add:
    Oops, looks like the ex beat me to it.

• Golf
    Golf

I'm to busy to be anyone else. I come to this forum seeking ideas, I've said it before.. Time is my friend. Sooner or later people will reveal themselves, you just gotta be patient.

Golf

• Odrade
    Odrade

Golf said: Sooner or later people will reveal themselves...

I agree 100%.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I am the same person on this board that my friends know. I don't role-play past anything I would do in real life and although I take some conversations here seriously just as I would in person, there are also conversations, which I recognize as fluff, and I enjoy playing in the fluff threads as well. Some threads are a serious discussion and some are a party; act accordingly. Most people here understand that.

As far as lying to people about accomplishments, degrees, physical attractiveness etc., what would be the point? People who don't give a damn about ever meeting others here may do it, but if they ever have a mind that they'd like to actually meet others, that would be unwise. I don't doubt that some do it, but whatever floats their boat. It's none of my business or anyone else's either how they want to live their lives. I'm certainly not sitting here thinking, "Gee, I wonder if they're *gasp* lying to me?"

Over analyzing this behavior is somewhat judgmental IMHO, and strikes me as a left-over attitude from the days of witness conformity. "Oh, they're not using the board for serious detached intellectual discussion and are *gasp* making stuff up! They must be shaken out of their delusional world by those of us who know how to speak proper English, have never engaged in a silly thread, and have a proper degree!"

I think it is a mistake to assume that all people here engage in outrageous role-playing. It is sad to think that a family broke up because one individual could not control themselves and got busted, but I do not think that is the norm. There are unwise decisions made in the real world as well, a flirtation at work that a spouse finds out about, or a comment made about a spouse to a group that hurts the spouse is no different.

The boards are more helpful than harmful and one simply needs to exercise the same caution on the board that they would in person. If some threads bother me, I don't read them. If some posters put my undies in a bunch, I ignore them. I do not go around telling others how their use of the board is wrong or delusional though. Well, with three exceptions...

J

• Mystery
    Mystery

I spent the first 20 years of my life "faking" who i am. The only time i do it now is when i travel 800 miles to see my JW family.

Typically i read this board to see what is going on in JW land; the "new light", to see when they are going to crack down on df'ing and da'ing and to see when it is "safe" to call my family and when to lay low.

As far as i can recall i have not represented anything that i am not on this board. If i wanted to become someone i am not i think i would go to a different board, not one that is here to help us get out of a mind controlling cult.

Just my 2cents.

(I do typically type my responses in Word and do spell check; my spelling is horrible!)

• Odrade
    Odrade

LOL!!! a thought just occured to me... I wonder how many "skinny pimply young men" or "homely housewives" are going to come on here and say "OOOHHHH Hilary, you're soooooo right! I AM just a faker, I've invented my WHOLE online personality! I SUCK in bed, I got beat with an ugly stick every day for a year, and I ALWAYS plagiarize to write a post."

"Odrade" i am who i am. heehee

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I yam what I say I yam cuz if I wuzzint then why would I say I yam.

It doesnt take I great intellect to tell the pimply faced teeny boppers from the rest. Life is about role playing, its just easier behind an avatar.

But what do I know, Im just a 16 year old girl from Martha's Vineyard, and will be going to Brown in a few years. Ta

• Jez
    Jez

Sometimes I am more myself online than off because I there are very few inhibiters needed when no one knows who you are, what roles you have to play at work, home, relationships etc. There is no need to collar yourself and the urge to just say what is on your mind is often unbridled by societal expectations. You can reveal MORE of yourself here because it is a 'safe' area. For me anyways.

Those who are my friends, both here and in real life, would be able to recognize 'me' in my posts. In real life, I just am more picky with who I 'let in' and who I don't. Here, the minute I post, I invite, and I can't decide who to invite and who not to.

It takes years to really get to know someone and some would argue that we never do...because we are all in a constant state of change.

But role play? No, I FEEL alot of these people through their posts because they are infused with emotion and passion, I respect people when they have the courage to do that. I respect that I will have some missing pieces in someone's personality that only face to face contact could give, but on the other hand I feel privledged reading posts in here because sometimes I imagine that we have met, exchanged pleasantries, but I get to read their inner most thoughts. The things that you would not normally hear ppl say in a face to face situation. Things that are reserved for very close friends are often thrown out here to strangers. That amazes me.

Jez

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    do you think that many of us take what goes on here *far* too seriously?

Cant speak for anyone else, but personally I dont see a reason to present myself as anything other that what I am (wife, mother of 4, black, overweight, slightly shy, not bad looking but no great beauty, silly sense of humor at time, totally in love with her husband, etc).

I havent noticed anyone else playing role games or maybe I'm not that swift to spot it. Could be I wasnt even looking.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit