Role-Playing & XJW Discussion Boards.

by hillary_step 89 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

Yes, of course, unconditional love cant be sectioned into quarters. You have to experience it to know it. I may not love what they did but cant stop loving them.

Do you love everbody without condition, or just your family?

HS

• Mulan
    Mulan

I agree with Odrade. In person, she is just like she is online.

I think I am too, but some people see me as more serious here than I really am in person. I can let loose and have fun, but usually am kind of reserved.

On the other hand, I know of one person, who isn't on this board anymore, who presents herself as "one hot babe". I know who she is, and she is a pretty miserable, lonely, extremely overweight person. Perhaps it gives her pleasure to see herself the way she makes out to be online.

Another woman, I met in the past two years was completely different than she acts online. In person she is very shy, and withdrawn, and has little to say, but online she seems to be agressive, opinionated and very sexual.

The biggest mistake anyone can make, on this forum, is seeing Simon as someone he is not. He is a dear, shy, loving husband and father, who loves computers. He isn't a jerk, or an asshole. Forgive me for that word.................haahahahhahah.

• Odrade
    Odrade
    The biggest mistake anyone can make, on this forum, is seeing Simon as someone he is not.

With all due respect Mulan, I think posters have a right to draw conclusions based on the information they have. This applies to anyone on this board or elsewhere, not just Simon. Whether that is a fair conclusion is based far less on the person who decides someone is nice or not nice (to be simplistic,) and determined more appropriately by what the poster chooses to display. So if someone is much more pleasant face-to-face than on a DB, how would I ever know unless I actually meet them? It's information I don't have. What I DO have is information that makes me never want to meet that person because they are cruel or callous (or insert negative adjective here.) That's DB reality.

(And for clarification: I am speaking in the abstract, only referencing Simon because that was the name used in the above example. The above statements are not necessarily a reflection of my opinion about Simon personally. My apologies in advance if it appears that way.)

Evidently certain people are very different face-to-face from their online persona. That's fine, it's not surprising really. I choose to display myself the same way here as I do person-to-person. (Actually, I can't help it.) If others do not show their true "pleasant" face on the board, they cannot expect that others will see them as the really are. So (for me) to base my opinion on a person upon what they choose to post here is perfectly fair and rational in my opinion. It is not a mistake. Role-playing can bite the player that way.

That being said, it does not wound me if I don't care for someone online. The only way I am truly bothered by it is if I think someone is a kind, interesting, intelligent, (insert positive adjective here) person, then I meet them face-to-face and discover that they are not.

O

• Mulan
    Mulan
    With all due respect Mulan, I think posters have a right to draw conclusions based on the information they have.

Of course, you are right. I was merely stating my opinion. I see many people here getting mad at Simon, but if they knew him (I've met him and spent several days with him and Ang) and feel I know him well, they would not be so angry. When you know someone and how they really are, and they say something that might be considered rude or mean, you can realize that they probably didn't mean it that way because they aren't that kind of a person in real life. That's all I meant.

If you can't learn from other people's experience and insist on having your own experience, where is progress?

I think many people are far too quick to take offense and they won't even try to see that the person may not mean it the way they took it. There is a language barrier too.............English and American are not the same language.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    I am getting used to that with you, so I will not bother trying to explain it.

aaah, the avoid the question syndrome, I see.

hit me with another Nazi parallel becuase you had a post edited on a discussion board....lol

I did? Where? Url please...are all people that disagree with you "nazi"? Kinda underscores my original point doesnt it!

Ok, give me your next nazism..

• Odrade
    Odrade
    If you can't learn from other people's experience and insist on having your own experience, where is progress?

Okay, but this question begs another... Is it "progress" for me to take your subjective experience with meeting a poster face-to-face and import more value to that than my own experience in dealing with the same person?

There's always someone to say, "but I've met that person, and they are nothing like you think..." But, am I supposed to just take another's word for it in order to be smart or make "progress?" I don't believe that deciding someone is rude and boorish because they behave rudely and boorishly is naivety or foolish. How is that "insisting on having my own experience?"

Is my subjective experience "wrong" or non-progressive because it doesn't match up with your subjective experience?

O

edited to add: and if the discussion continues, can we please NOT make it about Simon? This is not about Simon for me.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:is it "progress" for me to take your subjective experience with meeting a poster face-to-face and import more value to that than my own experience in dealing with the same person?

I don't know about "progress", but intelligence dictates that one will not assign too much value to one's limited experience. It is not a sin to withhold having a comprehensive opinion or judgement about a person, a matter, or even the origin of the universe. Most of the time, it's simply the smart and honest thing to do. Hence the reason that people who feel that they've accomplished the moral equivelant of staring down Hitler, Mussolini, and Satan simply because they confronted Simon about his discussion board foibles are pathetic and delusional. Some of them are my friends, but by god, they REALLY need to get a life.

Edited ad: oops, too late ;)

• Mulan
    Mulan
    edited to add: and if the discussion continues, can we please NOT make it about Simon? This is not about Simon for me.

I was merely using him as an example of an online persona versus the real person.

End of Simon discussion!

• Odrade
    Odrade
    I don't know about "progress", but intelligence dictates that one will not assign too much value one's limited experience.

Well, I can agree with that, but intelligence also dictates that I will not discard my own experience just because another person's limited experience is different. Forming personal opinions about other individuals based on your own interactions with said individual, and choosing not to change that opinion just because someone else has different interactions is hardly in the same class as someone saying that the laws of physics are really just guidelines because they saw something once that might not have matched up.

LOL! @ Mulan.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:Well, I can agree with that, but intelligence also dictates that I will not discard my own experience just because another person's limited experience is different.

Yes, of course.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit