Role-Playing & XJW Discussion Boards.

by hillary_step 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sixy,

LOL.

To answer your previous question (if I got it correctly) the initial context of my passing remark on role-playing is on http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/87714/8.ashx

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Well truth be known I'm actually Stacy Smith.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

In reality, I am very similar to the board.

More a listener than a speaker and when I think I should say something I drop a brief line.

Sometimes what I think is funny and no one else can laugh about.

I feel involved because I have been reading here almost every day during the last years.

The problem is at apostofests people don't recognize me because they do not remember having read anything from me.

The fate of introverts....

Hope to be at Englishman's BBQ and getting to know people personally.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Ok, I guess it's time for me to come clean. All this time I've been pretending to be a middle aged fat guy who's always half drunk, farts a lot, and rarely bathes. That's not the real me. In real life I'm young and muscular, the sort of man that women drool over.

Walter

• The Leological One
    The Leological One
    am who i am on here and in life..some days i am bitter..some days i am frustrated..some days i am suicidal..some days i am funny and today for reasons that will remain a mystery i am happy....so however i am in life will be reflected by how i am on this board..it may well be my downfall as it was with my jc....but the bottom line is ..im just no damn good at lying

You (tijkmo), Odrade, and surely others posting after you have good points. there's really no way people can know for sure outside of possibly meeting people in person what people may be like in their actual everyday lives (even then, people can act differently around them than they do others).

That said, I feel I am brutally myself on any forum I've been a part of, other than the fact I can think ahead of time what I'm going to say rather than someone saying something to me and then it being expected I answer at that moment. I feel it likely that maybe most people are simply themselves but possibly just not revealing every single aspect of their lives to the public, much like they probably don't reveal everything to the mass public in their everyday lives. I don't feel that's role-playing but rather just being prudent.

And then there are surely those who are bored and probably like getting certain reactions. One forum I go to has a lot of trolling going on where a number of people have gotten banned or at least warned for having multiple moniker/screen names and who even have fun at playing the different monikers like different characters like they have nothing in common. I think that would likely be a very rare thing at a forum such as this (being that one forum is for totally expressing whatever, almost).

I basically take the posts as they are and won't discount anybody unless I feel there's a good reason to.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I believe it is the real me on this discussion board. I am a very direct person who believes what I say, but this is not to say I do not realize I can be wrong. Some posters make comments that I think are completely uncalled for but why get upset since everyone has a right to their own opinion. I wish all my posts were meaningful but a lot of what I have posted has been simply being part of something I enjoy.

• Brummie
    Brummie

An interesting insight into your "world" HS. Its quite a different world to the one some other people live in.

I do not love anybody unconditionally in real life - imho that is a ludicrous phrase born from 60's California and so far from healthy living that it suprises me that people cannot see how it demands what it should not from people.

Really? "Unconditional love is a "myth" born in the 60s? So In your world there is no unconditional love, you dont get it and you dont give it? Hmmm, I guess we gorra pity ya! In my world we give it and recieve it but mainly share it amongst family. Its not a 60s thing its a "family" thing. But you are welcome to your opinion of course.

Those deleted or edited by moderators become Amnesty International in their own minds, fighting spit for spit, blood for blood, with their brothers at the barricades.

Ah yes, the sweeping statement syndrome. The Opposers are all banished and are now "Out there" somewhere in the big bad world where all the bad people live. OK, I get the picture, I'll humour ya, nothing they say is valuble now is it? Darn rebels, best ignored huh.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

I for one think there is no such thing as a "true me". "I" am basically a fiction.

This I understand perfectly. I have no issue whatsoever with role-playing. It is part of the our very nature and those who believe they do not play roles are ones who perhaps do not realize that if we are part of society, then we are also part of its transcribed roles.

As Jacques Brel put it in one of his songs,
    Jojo pretended he was Voltaire,
    Pierre pretended he was Casanova,
    I, the proudest of all, pretended I was myself.

This I also understand perfectly. As one of the Lollard poets once wrote, "Everybody is everybody else". A good actor becomes his part and the audience flourishes in his creativity, but there are some who believe that the play is real. Ones treats the theatre as a reality and one loses ones grip on a reality.

Apart from information gathering, of which I have already noted this site has been very useful, to take its more emotional and personal side seriously is the digital equivalent of chasing soap-bubbles. Let me give a small example.

A male XJW poster comes on-line and describes his awful life with a JW wife. Why people discuss such personal isssues on an international board viewed by thousands is another puzzling issue altogether, but I will save that for another time. Anyway, soon the board is replete with sympathy and agressive outsbursts directed at the terrible JW wife. Advice from leave the house now and never talk to her, to report her to the police is forthcoming. How can a person take seriously an issue when they only have one persons viewpoint, a person they that have likely never met, never spoken to, or never likely to?

Best regards as ever - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

Here we go again, the 'myth' of unconditional love.

Really? "Unconditional love is a "myth" born in the 60s? So In your world there is no unconditional love, you dont get it and you dont give it? Hmmm, I guess we gorra pity ya! In my world we give it and recieve it but mainly share it amongst family. Its not a 60s thing its a "family" thing. But you are welcome to your opinion of course.

So if you had a child who committed unspeakable crimes you would love them without condition? If your wife ran off with the milkman cleaning out your bank account and killing your pet pigeons, you would love her without condition?

Ah yes, the sweeping statement syndrome. The Opposers are all banished and are now "Out there" somewhere in the big bad world where all the bad people live. OK, I get the picture, I'll humour ya, nothing they say is valuble now is it? Darn rebels, best ignored huh.

You have of course missed the point as usual. I am getting used to that with you, so I will not bother trying to explain it. This thread is about being able to seperate what we *think* might is important in the world, from what is really important.

Go one, hit me with another Nazi parallel becuase you had a post edited on a discussion board....lol

HS

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yes, of course, unconditional love cant be sectioned into quarters. You have to experience it to know it. I may not love what they did but cant stop loving them. This sort of love is not known in JW land.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit