Move on...

by mrsjones5 196 Replies latest jw experiences

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

So, his ancestors were forced to work and live in Suriname... that was a bad thing for them. But NOT for their ofspring.... He in particular is doing much better then his far-away relatives who weren't forced out of their homes.

I think that holding a grudge to us today, can be done off with : move on. (or go back to Africa, when you think you belong there cos that is your heritage)

Okay, I hope to clear this up - when I don't make myself clear, I could even make ik worse....

First: I am NOT a racist and have never been.

Second: I felt attacked by this man in the kingdom hall (and now by you)

I don't minimise what happened in the past (1600 or so) we can't change it. It was a disaster for the African's in that time period. (he told me that his origin was the Ivory Coast) and I am NOT proud that it were Dutch traders then - in fact it was a black page in history.

But my thoughts are: it is 400 years ago that his ancestors have been taken away. When he (personally) wished that this had not happened, he could have gone back. His family had lived in Suriname for all those years. He emigrated to the Netherlands and he is doing perfectly fine. He would'nt go to Africa to live there in a million years. Still he wanted an excuse from me that this has happened. And that is a bridge to far for me. As I said, I personally don't feel that I am responsible for this. I am an individual. I have no influence on what have happened hundred of years ago.

A decade ago there was a movement here that wanted a GENERAL EXCUSE from the Dutch Government for "our colonial past"

That was why I said (in this post - not to him) it can be done off with: move on, (I mentioned his heritage because HE did) .

--

In general "move on" is a must for all mankind: there is no progress, no hope when you don't "move-on"

it is nonsense when this comment is given to someone who needs words of comfort, or help. But the essential part is: you should help people to move on, else you are uncaring. However a bunch of people is sometimes at a lack of words and say something as "move on".

Last point: We had no slavery in Holland in the past like there was in America. We do have other nationalities / races at the moment (the first came here after world war II - mostly with the intention to stay here for a few years, make some money and go back - which changed in staying here and gets there relatives here too, a majority came here as fugitive for financial reasons) It was rather easy to gain the Dutch Nationality and most immigrants did.

• minimus
    minimus

LT----the popcorn is getting a little stale here. And yeah, she does seem to want the last word. Annoying, isn't it??

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you Country Woman. I highly enjoyed that post. Thank you for your clarification. It was clear and thoughtful and well put.

Thank you again,

Josie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~rubs hands in glee, while warming up the spare jello~

Josie:

not dead yet just a little sore

Only a little sore?
    ~shakes head, in a sad and unsophisticated way~

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

WOW

Brooke

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

That's what I figured you meant, CW. Thanks for putting on the flack vest and wading back into the topic to clear it up. They were about to start throwing the jello in here, and things were gonna get sticky!

J

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Well at least I was able to PM and apologize for anything I said that would have been taken as offensive!

Brooke

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeannie:Too late

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Its funny how this went Back and Forth and I was right all along!

Brooke ....at least I think I am right! lol.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~grabs Brooke and dives into jello pit~

What?

What??
    Noone else was gonna use it!!!

LT, of the "hates to waste good jello" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit