Our Future After Terri Schiavo/ What Hangs in the Balance.

by prophecor 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
    Golf

Its all a distraction Dacheech and its done in incremental stages,in the style of David Copperfield.

Golf

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Someone said to GW Bush once that 'he could win the national election and become president of the USA if he JUST won the votes of those that professed to be 'born-agains' and those that were in the 'pro-life' movement.'

This is what appears to have happened. I had a friend of mine comment to me, "I held my nose, as I pushed the button for Bush!" - meaning she hated the Bush big business policies, but that she voted for him only because of his 'moral policies'.

NewLight2

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Like I said, how moral can he be when he does not care about the majority? (middle and lower class)?
    Even though I can pay my bills and live in a decent neighborhood, It will not last when I cannot work
    anymore at 65? For I will have a choice of keeping my home is I work, or going to senior center if I want
    to retire! (if at all there still are senior centers - ha!)
  • prophesariah
    prophesariah

Let her live in the care of her parents.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    quoting an article from 1942 to support a statement about the danger of something happening "in our time" is downright Watchtower-esque

I beg to differ. Do you believe that any thinking person, living before WWII thought it possible that more than six million jews would be killed in the most inhumane circumstances? I highly doubt it. In spite of what happened, there are still countless people today who have a profound hate for jews, gypsies, homosexuals, you name it.... As long as that hate is there, anything is possible. History has proven over and over again that we never learn from the past.

As for Terri Shiavo, did you think it possible that a woman would be starving to death in March of 2005, while the whole world was watching in dismay? A starvation, being approved by law? Did you think it possible? Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing Terri's starvation with the holocaust, I am merely saying that anything is possible.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    quoting an article from 1942 to support a statement about the danger of something happening "in our time" is downright Watchtower-esque

I beg to differ.

Come on, the article was quoted as if it reflected current thinking in medical circles. Patently misleading, and Watchtowerish.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Dan, I have to admit I didn't read it, my bad. Don't have much time on line today, got to do some work. Anyway, I was just reacting to the 'something happening in our time', which is very well possible. But you were probably referring to the contents of the article. I apologize and will make sure to read it later on.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

dan,

The point of quoting the article was to show the same thinking could be attributed to the "professional" medical community here in the USA and not just the Nazis.

As far as 1942 not being "our time"....I have many family members and friends that were certainly alive in 1942. I also feel that given the trends still evident related to determining and terminating disable fetuses, mercy killing and other issues the devalueing of the lives of people with disabilities continues, however well meaning it may be. I an not the first person to make the connection with this article and the current stuggle of the disabled community. Since the thinking still exists perhaps we haven't seen quotes like this recently because the medical profession is now more "politically correct" and keep them to themselves.

I am simply expressing my opinions and those of many in the disabled community and quoting a totally inappropriate comment by a medical professional suggesting that 5 year old disabled children be killed because they were undesireable. You are certainly free to disagree or be offended, just as I am offended on a daily basis when people suggest that death is a better choice than having to live my life.

• Valis
    Valis

rwagon....I have an aunt that has been in a wheelchair all her life. She has cerebral palsy. She can feed herself, she communicates in her own way, and now has several tools for spelling to help her talk to people. She has had a hard life, but I have seen her cry and laugh and get excited when the Cowboys win (Note only those in a coma wouldn't) and even keep her own special things like jewelry and so forth. I would never presume to deny someone like that the right to even that kind of limited happiness. I agree with you that we as a society must be very careful about drawing the line in regards assessing someone else's "quality of life". I do think though individual descisions should be respected and the meddlesome people who want to "keep you alive at all costs" should be relegated to a very special hell themselves.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Valis, similiar situation here! I plaud your view.

Someone dear to me was born with such an illness. The parents of this one had many operations performed to correct the problem. Witnesses in the

early 70's criticized them for doing all this "unnecessary work" since the big "A" was around the corner. Today this person is a fully functional person in society!

I wish all those people could eat their words today when the Big "a" did not come, and those operation were very necessary!

Total brain death is diffrent, and when a person cannot think..... then?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit