Our Future After Terri Schiavo/ What Hangs in the Balance.

by prophecor 63 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

Regardless for how one feels about the situation surrounding Terri Schiavo, this will be a landmark case in American history, politically, religiously, as well as within the medical profession. To put this woman to death in the manner for which is being done, is inhumane and ungodly.

Criminals on death row are afforded a more deserving death than she has been given. There is a rumbling within society that is the result of a seperating of the nation, within the medical field, within our judicial court system, amidst the lives of our politcal leaders, and amongst ourselves.

The judges who have denied this woman the right to live will have thier own political futures to hang in the balance. Lifetime appointments of high court judges are going to become a thing of the past, on the back of Mrs. Schiavo. She will come to be the sacrificial lamb that stirs up a political hotbed of issues regarding the questionable wisdom of their past choices. America will begin a resounding drumbeat for change, within the judicial system, within the medical profession, and it all starts here.

Whether you believe she needs to be put to death on account of the fact that her quality of life is wanting, or that every available option needs to be exhausted because of the sanctity of life, her sacrifice will go deeper within the human community to rip apart every old idea, thought and position we once had regarding death, dying, how and who we pick and choose who is to assume power over our lives, when it is we have no power to answer for ourselves.

The conscience of America that has been pierced from this destructive energy, will produce a voice which will not be able to be ignored any longer. To put someone to death in the manner for which she is suffering under, they would have done better to at least kill her with the kindness of a lethal injection, even a bullet to the brain would have afforded her more justice, but because of the cowardly courts, and the cowards who don't wish to face the reality of an uncomfortable life, because we refuse to be reminded that one day, we could wind up in the same condition, having the same fate, and so we wish for Mrs. Schiavo to just disappear. We would rather not be reminded of what might one day be us.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

It's a good thing I will be exercising my right to vote because I think it's much more humane to allow someone to die that expressed that as their wish, than have everyone butt into a personal matter and voice their opinion on how wrong it is.

I am so glad I can vote is all I'm saying.

• jula71
    jula71

What a tough topic, there is a difference between the law and ethics. I believe this case will bring many changes regarding patient care, guardianship, and a patient?s decision regarding what actions are to be taken on their behalf. I?ve been thinking about this, how will the outcome affect the JW?s stand on blood? What if a law is created that allows the state to assume custody to save a life when the guardian is withholding treatment that is beneficial? But back to Terri, I?m a realist and in the medical field, she won?t get better. This calls in the line between law and ethics. The ethical thing to do is make her passing as painless and less gruesome as possible. But a painless lethal injection is illegal, having her starve is legal. What if the law is not ethical? These are among the unavoidable questions this case brings up.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

To put someone to death in the manner for which she is suffering under, they would have done better to at least kill her with the kindness of a lethal injection, even a bullet to the brain would have afforded her more justice, but because of the cowardly courts, and the cowards who don't wish to face the reality of an uncomfortable life, because we refuse to be reminded that one day, we could wind up in the same condition, having the same fate, and so we wish for Mrs. Schiavo to just disappear.

I think that you are oversimplifying. Yes, this is a complex case, but if you are going to blame this on "activist judges" as so many on the right want to do, you are only falling for their propaganda and playing right into their hands. This case does have implications for our whole way of life as Americans...but unfortunately, these implications are at the whim of the politicians who are such good manipulators and the press, who are so lazy these days that they are a mere mouthpiece rather than the "fourth estate" that they once were purported to be. To me, this raises the question of "why is Dr. Kevorkian in jail?" His machine helped people like this who had no hope, had decided that they wanted to die with dignity and sought his help. It would certainly be more humane than a death that takes two weeks or so.

Also, you mention life time appointments being a thing of the past....well, I have a real problem with this. Here it is, nearly 5 years post-clinton....and right wing people still blame everything that they can on Pres. Clinton. I wish they'd just shut up already. Last time I checked, the republicans have controlled both houses of congress since 1994 and the Gingrich revoloution. They are the ones who confirmed these judges. What did they think that they were doing? If they had objections, they should have spoken then, just as the dems have done on about 10 of GW's more whacko nominees.

I'm glad that people are spurred to think on these issues, though it's unfortunate what this woman and her family have been put through. I think it brings the point home that you cannot leave these issues undecided until the last minute.

Ern

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I hope this helps people here in the USA realize the importance of a legal document.

Also, talk, talk, and talk some more with your family about what your wishes would be in case of this type of tragedy.

Oh, and another thing.... Address your eating disorders. If you read the whole story, an eating disorder is what caused her to slip into this state.

DY

• prophecor
    prophecor

....... "why is Dr. Kevorkian in jail?" His machine helped people like this who had no hope, had decided that they wanted to die with dignity and sought his help. It would certainly be more humane than a death that takes two weeks or so.

My principle concern is for the death of Mrs. Schiavo, and the manner in which it's being done. How does anyone go to the point of starving a person to death. There is nothing for which can be gained from killing her in this form and fashion. Even a dog, that you no longer want in this society, one that is a burden and full of life is given a more dignified way to die. They give it a lethal injection.

As for the members of the house and congress who came together to try to support what they must have known was wrong. Yes, I think they took too long in bringing this to a close, but at least together they worked to move legislation to try and assist her. The judges just snubbed and ignored the presidents request, almost to the point of disrespect.

Every available option needs to be met before such drastic measures require causing her to starve to death, because we don't wish to be confronted with the quality of life issues that Mrs. Schiavo suffers under. To err, as said the president, we should err on the side of life. There is no correct conscienable way we can but her to death in the manner in which is being done.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

This is such a horrific situation, I have tried to avoid commenting or giving an opinion one way or another. It`s hard as an outsider to listen to this everyday when it`s such a personal family issue. Between the media and the politicans trying to make everyone`s minds up for this family is simply ridiculous that we`ve allowed it to even get this far. I wish the husband and her parents could come to some sort of compromise as far as a decision on what to do for Terri together. To listen to the news this morning on her condition now day by day is just like watching that Arnold S. movie what is it,The Running Man. I don`t want to be a spectator for this. But this is just my opinion, one of thousands.

• jula71
    jula71

But this goes back to the question, should ethics over-ride the law?

"The judges just snubbed and ignored the presidents request, almost to the point of disrespect. "

This is some of the media?s spin on it. The president requested that a federal judge hears the case. This happened earlier this week, it may not have been the outcome Bush wanted, but his request was honored.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

The statement has been made that no one would even starve a dog.

Let me ask you this question, if a dog gets hits by a car and is paralysed WOULD YOU HOOK IT UP TO A FEEDING TUBE? If an animal is unable to eat, what extreme measures would you take?

Seriously, would you hook your dog up to a respirator or a feeding tube? No you wouldn't. You would allow the dog to die a peaceful death.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

JTP,

I have noticed that you have used the dog=human reasoning in several threads. I do not feel for a moment that a human life is of the same value as a dog.

Also, an injured dog is not likely to have a loving family show up willing to take responsibility and care for it either.

I'm trying to figure out your analogy, but it does not make sense...

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit