Our Future After Terri Schiavo/ What Hangs in the Balance.

by prophecor 63 Replies latest jw friends

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Without trying to get started on another wild rant on this topic I offer the following thoughts below for those that may not have seen them before.

*** This is NOT a comment on the Schiavo case or comparing Terri to my or any other person with a disability's situation. It is a comment on what could, and has in the past happened related to the idea that it is merciful or loving to kill those who we feel may have a less than normal "quality" of life.

purplesofa made this observation:

I was talking with a friend of mine about the quality of life issue........and we got to the point we were saying.......Well, He's lost my legs...........lets do away with him. He is blind .....he surely does not want to live. How do we know she does not savor this quality of life for her. We all make comprimises.

Here is a link to an article (in pdf) I wrote:

Speaking for the "Unfit"
    A Commentary on Disability, the Holocaust and the Modern Eugenics Movement.

For those who say that it could never happen here in the USA in our time....

The American Journal of Psychiatry Published a debate on the "Ethics of Killing Children with Severe Disabilities" in which one individual stated...(emphasis added by me)

"I believe when the defective child will have reached the age of five years - and on the application of his guardians - that the case should be considered under law by a competent medical board; then it should be reviewed twice more at four-month intervals; then, if the board, acting, I repeat, on the applications of the guardian of the child, and after three examinations of the defective who has reached the age of five or more, should decide that that defective has no future or hope of one; then I believe it is a merciful and kindly thing to relieve that defective - often tortured and convulsed, grotesque and absurd, useless and foolish and entirely undesireable - from the agony of living"

Relieve the defective who is entirely undesireable from the agony of living......it just makes me feel physically ill.

When I've posted these thoughts and comments here before I've been told to not worry about it, some people are ignorant, don't let it get to me, they don't know any better...but how would you feel if people continually said your life was worthless, abnormal, less than human, of little or no value or actually no life at all...better dead than disabled ?

I worry about the continued move toward normalizing mercy killing as a means of controlling quality of life. But then I'm biased aren't I ? I just don't want to find myself or my disabled culture being pushed toward extinction based on misguided beliefs and stereotypes by well meaning people who are uncomfortable dealing with the cripples because we're not normal enough for them.

just another bitter a**hole in a wheelchair

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Would you, if you were a cripple, want to vegetate forever?" - Dr. Tergesten, in the propaganda film Ich Klage an! (I Accuse 1941)

I would recommend reading this website entitled Useless Eaters and judge for yourself what is right and what is wrong.

Yiz

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Witnesses who have seen Terri in her deathbed has stated that she looks pale, her skin is clammy, her tongue is dry and swollen from thirst and her eyes are sunkened. One stated that she looks exactly like the pictures he's seen from the victims of the Holocaust.

If this is considered mercy killing, why is she suffering so terribly from hunger and thirst? How is this considered humane for her to die in this way? She's certainly by no means dying comfortably, no, that's far from it. If they want her dead, why don't they just get it over with and give her a lethal injection so that she can die quicker instead of suffering a slow and sufferable death?

I don't want her to die, I have seen videos of her. Videos of her smiling and laughing. How is this person, who is smiling and laugh and so full of joy considered to be suffering and should be allowed to die? How can this be????

Has anybody missed this article??? http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43383 , it states and I quote.....

Weller essentially told Terri Schiavo, "You had better say you want to live or they will kill you. Just say you want to live."
    Schiavo responded with a drawn out, "IIIIII," then screamed out "waaaaaaaa" so loudly that a police officer stationed outside the room came in.
    The officer then ordered Weller removed from the room, according to Terry.

I can understand the officer misunderstanding what was going on, but she was clearly stating her wishes and the officer would not listen to the explanation of what they were attempting to do. Clearly this was very frustrating.

Take a look at Terri's official website http://www.terrisfight.net/ and take a good look at the video section of the website and tell me that she's actually a vegetable. I dare you tell me that.

Folks, I love people in all walks of life, I do not wish anyone dead regardless of anyone's condition. To accuse me of being heartless because someone is suffering is beyond the truth. I don't want anyone to suffer, but suffering is part of life and for someone to play god with someone's life or their own life is beyond cruel and selfishness. Even cowardly. It makes people around them suffer even worse, even for me.

Take a look at these case evidences, including a filed testimony from a nurse who testified that Michael Schiavo asked "Is that bitch dead yet?" http://www.zimp.org/stuff/

What kind of husband is he? Why would he want her dead? Motive: MONEY. Terri inherited a large sum of money from a settlement. He wants that money. Not only that, why didn't he state her wishes long before she inherited the money? He never said anything until AFTER THE FACT when she inherited the settlement. The asshole tried to have her killed many times and there's medical evidence of that and Michael had her medical records suppressed in court, claiming it's her "medical privacy".

It tears me up that human beings have no value in human life. After Abortion was legalized, I saw stories about how many babies are murdered even OUTSIDE the womb. Remember the prom queen story? She gave birth her baby in the bathroom, strangled the baby and dumped the baby in the trash can. Then she went back out on the dance floor like nothing happened. Many babies are dumped in the same fashion. More than 10 years ago a girl survived from being aborted from the womb when she had her arm torn off. She's alive today testifying in churches and asking people "Why would my mother wanted me dead?" while showing her missing arm before the people.

Folks, human life today has no value, we see the evidence of that from Roe v. Wade to the so called "Right to Die" issue and now doctors are given the right to determine who's fit to live and who isn't. George W. Bush, who was then Govenor of Texas SIGNED a bill in Texas granting doctors the right to pull the plug on patients who cannot afford medical care. Yet pulls a double standard by signing a bill from Florida to save Terri's life.

We need to stand up against people in Government as well as Judges in courts who is giving people the right to determine OUR LIVES instead of us determining it ourselves.

Yiz

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    The American Journal of Psychiatry Published a debate on the "Ethics of Killing Children with Severe Disabilities" in which one individual stated...(emphasis added by me)

"I believe when the defective child will have reached the age of five years - and on the application of his guardians - that the case should be considered under law by a competent medical board; then it should be reviewed twice more at four-month intervals; then, if the board, acting, I repeat, on the applications of the guardian of the child, and after three examinations of the defective who has reached the age of five or more, should decide that that defective has no future or hope of one; then I believe it is a merciful and kindly thing to relieve that defective - often tortured and convulsed, grotesque and absurd, useless and foolish and entirely undesireable - from the agony of living"

Can you tell us when this article appeared and who the individual was that stated this?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

rwagoner,

Here is a link to an article (in pdf) I wrote:

Speaking for the "Unfit"
    A Commentary on Disability, the Holocaust and the Modern Eugenics Movement.

Thank-you for sharing your article. I cannot figure out how to copy and paste pdf....otherwise I would post some of your article.

I think your thoughts are right on for what is going on here.

It is a comment on what could, and has in the past happened related to the idea that it is merciful or loving to kill those who we feel may have a less than normal "quality" of life.

I am not trying to sound flippant, but as I have aged, I have made adjustments to get the best quality out of my life........And I don't think it is for us(society) to decide to kill people based on what we think is right for others. The sheer fact that someone(Parents) want her alive and take pleasure in her life should be enough to stay out of it.

Again, thank-you for posting the article and I am always amazed at the quality of insight from the people at this forum.

purps

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

dan

Kennedy, F. (1942). The problem of social control of the congenital defective - Education, sterilization, euthanasia. American Journal of Psychiatry, 99, 13-16.

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

purplesofa,

Thank you for your kind comments and I'm glad you found the article usefull.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I thought the US was a democracy with not only separation of church & state...... But also 3 branches of goverment.

President busch is stepping on top of every personal freedom right! He is acting like a dictator, and threats are being sent to

judges and politicians voting against his "ethics machine". It is tough enough to be a judge, and then made tougher by everyone judging him/her!

Look at what Busch is doing in the name of Terrorism?

Look at what Busch is doing to broadcasting in the name of morality?

Look at what Busch is doing to the economy?

They are more worried about Baseball/steroids and Schiavo than poor people loosing their jobs, and not being able to collect any

social security!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

rwagoner, quoting an article from 1942 to support a statement about the danger of something happening "in our time" is downright Watchtower-esque

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Goverment sure has their priorities straight! When you're rich, who cares about the poor

As long as you are being re-elected because you are "moral"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit